Hartford Withstands Early Flurry, Tops Islanders in Season Debut
HARTFORD, Conn. - Chris Terry scored the first goal of the American Hockey League season nine minutes into the opening period on Friday, but the Bridgeport Islanders (0-1-0-0), AHL affiliate of the New York Islanders, came up short in a 2-1 loss to the Hartford Wolf Pack (1-0-0-0) at the XL Center.
Terry's goal, which came in his Islanders debut, was his 234th career tally in the AHL. Hartford's Moran Barron broke a 1-1 deadlock at 7:50 of the third period for the eventual game winner past Jakub Skarek (0-1-0).
The Islanders outshot Hartford 15-5 in the first period but found themselves knotted after one following Lauri Pajuniemi's unassisted goal at the 18:14 mark, his first in the AHL. Terry made it 1-0 more than nine minutes prior with a deflection in front on Arnaud Durandeau's wrist shot from the right wing. Andy Andreoff also logged an assist in his Bridgeport debut.
The contest remained tied after the second period despite 13 combined shots on goal, 10 of which came from the Islanders. Hartford goaltender Keith Kinkaid (1-0-0) made 30 saves overall as Bridgeport outshot its in-state rival 31-18 in the contest.
Barron's game-winning goal was created by pressure from Jonny Brodzinski, who created a turnover in the Islanders' zone and fed Barron at the doorstep.
Bridgeport finished the game 0-for-5 on the power play and 1-for-1 on the penalty kill. Skarek made 16 saves on 18 shots.
Next Time Out: The Islanders travel to the Dunkin' Donuts Center tomorrow night for a 7:05 p.m. matchup against the Providence Bruins. It will be the first of 12 meetings between the Islanders and Boston Bruins' top affiliate. Fans can follow the action all season long via the Bridgeport Islanders Radio Network and AHLTV, beginning with the pre-game show 20 minutes prior to puck drop.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 15, 2021
- Stars Name Curtis McKenzie Captain, Alex Petrovic and Andreas Borgman as Alternate Captains - Texas Stars
- Monsters Fall Short in 6-4 Loss to Crunch - Cleveland Monsters
- Crunch Rally for 6-4 Win over Monsters in Season Opener - Syracuse Crunch
- Wolf Pack Knock off Islanders 2-1 on Opening Night - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Hartford Withstands Early Flurry, Tops Islanders in Season Debut - Bridgeport Islanders
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Dostal - San Diego Gulls
- Reign Unveil Season Opening Roster - Ontario Reign
- San Diego Gulls Announce 2021-22 Season-Opening Roster - San Diego Gulls
- Hartford Wolf Pack Announce 2021-22 Season Opening Roster - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Eagles Complete Multiple Transactions - Colorado Eagles
- Penguins Name Taylor Fedun Team Captain for 2021-22 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Heward to Helm Silver Knights to Begin Season - Henderson Silver Knights
- Iowa Wild Releases 2021-22 Opening Night Roster - Iowa Wild
- Heat Host Tucson in Season Opener - Stockton Heat
- Phantoms Announce Opening Night Roster - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Blue Jackets Assign Forward Yegor Chinakhov to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- San Diego Gulls Sign Francis Marotte to One-Year Contract - San Diego Gulls
- T-Birds Open Season on Home Ice Saturday & Sunday - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Meet the 2021-22 Checkers - Charlotte Checkers
- Abbotsford Canucks Announce Pop-Up Party on October 16 - Abbotsford Canucks
- Series Preview vs. Colorado: October 15 & 17 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Bears Announce Opening Night Roster for 2021-22 Season - Hershey Bears
- Condors Announce Opening Night Roster - Bakersfield Condors
- Henderson Silver Knights Announce Opening Night Roster - Henderson Silver Knights
- Wolf Pack Kick off 2021-22 Season against Rival Islanders - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Amerks Sign Jankowski to One-Year AHL Contract - Rochester Americans
- Heat Announce Season-Opening Roster - Stockton Heat
- Moose Announce 2021-22 Opening Day Roster - Manitoba Moose
- Florida Assigns Chase Priskie and Maxim Mamin to Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Cleveland Monsters Announce 2021-22 TV and Radio Broadcast Schedules - Cleveland Monsters
- Providence Bruins Announce 2021-22 Opening Day Roster - Providence Bruins
- IceHogs Announce 2021-22 Opening Night Roster Featuring 16 Rookies, Ten Blackhawks Draft Picks and Five First-Round Selections - Rockford IceHogs
- Islanders Open 2021-22 Season Tonight - Bridgeport Islanders
- Rockford IceHogs Open 2021-22 Season with Friday Night Showdown at Grand Rapids - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.