Hager Wins It Again for San Antonio
SAN ANTONIO - Fans at Nelson Wolff Stadium were treated to a pitcher's duel in tonight's first ever matchup between the Baby Cakes and Missions. For the second time in three days, Jake Hager played hero as he walked off the Baby Cakes for a 1-0 Missions victory. Fans were also treated to free baseball as this was the first extra-innings of the 2019 season for the Missions.
With the bases loaded in the bottom of the tenth inning, Hager lined a single off pitcher R.J. Alvarez which scored Cory Spangenberg for the winning run. This was the first 1-0 Missions win since July 25, 2018 against Corpus Christi.
Aaron Wilkerson started for the Missions as he began his rehab stint from a foot injury he suffered with the Brewers. Wilkerson pitched five shutout innings, allowing three hits, and striking out two. Jon Olczak relieved Wilkerson in the top of the sixth inning and struck out the side.
Dustin Beggs was the starting pitcher for the Baby Cakes and he matched Wilkerson with five scoreless innings of his own. Beggs loaded the bases in the bottom of the sixth inning and was pulled for Kyle Keller. Beggs finished with 5.2 scoreless innings, walking four batters and allowing four hits.
The Missions had a chance to put a crooked number on the board in the sixth inning but came up empty. Hager walked to lead off the inning, before getting caught trying to steal second. The Missions then loaded the bases after a single from Mauricio Dubon and walks to Keston Hiura and Tyler Saladino. Keller then struck out Tyrone Taylor to end the threat.
Alex Wilson picks up his first win as a Mission capping off five combined scoreless innings from Olczak, Tristan Archer, Jacob Barnes and Wilson.
The Missions and Baby Cakes will continue their series at Nelson Wolff Stadium Wednesday night. Right-hander Bubba Derby will start for the Missions. He will be opposed by fellow right-hander Zac Gallen who comes in at 4-0 with a 1.12 earned run average. Game two will get underway at 7:05 PM
With the win, San Antonio improves to 17-15 on the season.
Keston Hiura extended his hitting streak to seven games, tying his season high and team high for the season
First extra-innings game of the season for San Antonio
First 1-0 win for the Missions since July 25, 2018
2019 is the 118th season of baseball in San Antonio and first as the Triple-A affiliate of the Milwaukee Brewers. Single game tickets are on sale now at the Wolff Stadium Box Office or online at samissions.com. Season seat memberships are available now by calling 210-675-PARK (7275).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 8, 2019
- Sounds Ring Dodgers, 13-6 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds Roll to Fourth Consecutive Win - Nashville Sounds
- Missions Fall to Baby Cakes to Even Series - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Beat Missions 5-2 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Fresno Grizzlies Homestand Preview: May 11-20 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (11-21) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (10-21) - Nashville Sounds
- Battery Power: Copeland shines on the hill, catcher Gushue homers in 4-1 Grizz win at Sacramento - Fresno Grizzlies
- Gerber homers in return to River Cats - Sacramento River Cats
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes at Tacoma - Reno Aces
- Redbirds Pick up 2-1 Win as Knizner, Ravelo Homer - Memphis Redbirds
- I-Cubs Streak Ends at Eight - Iowa Cubs
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 8, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express OF Yordan Alvarez Earns Astros Player of the Month Honors - Round Rock Express
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (17-15) vs Iowa Cubs (22-10) - Memphis Redbirds
- Delivering in the Clutch Again - San Antonio Missions
- Reyes de Plata Rally for 3-1 Victory over Salt Lake - Las Vegas Aviators
- Veteran Pitcher Edwin Jackson Enjoying Las Vegas Homecoming - Las Vegas Aviators
- Rainiers Hang Around But Drop Opener to Aces - Tacoma Rainiers
- Fresno continues winning ways over Sacramento with 7-3 triumph on Tuesday - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aviators Score Late to Upend Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats' home run barrage continues in loss to Grizzlies - Sacramento River Cats
- Cron Homers, Donatella Sharp in Aces Victory over Tacoma - Reno Aces
- Chihuahuas Use Early Power to Top Isotopes - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Sounds Hang On For 4-2 Win Tuesday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- I-Cubs Extend Winning Streak to Eight - Iowa Cubs
- Isotopes Drop Series Opener in El Paso - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Hager Wins It Again for San Antonio - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Lose in Extras - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Redbirds Short in 6-5 Loss to Iowa - Memphis Redbirds
- Dillard Earns 40th Win in Nashville's Victory - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.