Express OF Yordan Alvarez Earns Astros Player of the Month Honors
ROUND ROCK, Texas - What a week for Round Rock Express OF Yordan Alvarez! The slugging outfield prospect has been named the Houston Astros Minor League Player of the Month for April, the club announced. This marks Alvarez' third award in as many days as he was named the Pacific Coast League Player of the Week on Monday and the Pacific Coast League Player of the Month on Tuesday.
Alvarez led all Astros farmhands with 11 home runs during the month, nearly twice the next closest hitter. He also led the organization with 29 RBI and 20 runs scored in just 21 games during April. His .347 batting average during that stretch also finished second in the system to only Double-A Corpus Christi's Lorenzo Quintana, who batted .349 in 11 games last month. He also finished second among all Astros minor leaguers with nine doubles.
The Cuba native is widely regarded as one of the top prospects in baseball and is currently tabbed as the third-best prospect in the Astros organization, as well as the 41st-overall prospect in baseball, by MLB.com. He was originally acquired by Houston in a trade with the Los Angeles Dodgers for RHP Josh Fields on August 1, 2016.
Alvarez re-wrote the Express history books during his season-opening hot stretch, becoming the first player in franchise history to hit double-digit home runs in April, as well as the first E-Train hitter to tally more than 10 longballs in a single calendar month since Will Middlebrooks hit 12 in June of 2017. Only two players in affiliated baseball tallied more home runs through the month of April than Alvarez, the Los Angeles Dodgers' Cody Bellinger and the Milwaukee Brewers' Christian Yelich, who each needed 30 games to hit 14 dingers.
The 21-year-old currently leads the Pacific Coast League in nearly every offensive category, including home runs (13), RBI (38), extra-base hits (24) and total bases (91), while ranking second in OBP (.484), SLG (.867), OPS (1.351), hits (41) and runs (30).
Fans can catch Alvarez and the rest of the Express in action when the team returns home on Saturday, May 11 to open a season-long 13-game homestand with a four-game set against the Oklahoma City Dodgers (Los Angeles Dodgers affiliate). First pitch in the series opener at Dell Diamond on May 11 is set for 7:05 p.m.
For more information on the Express, visit RRExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and join the conversation during our historic 20th season using #20STROng.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 8, 2019
- Sounds Ring Dodgers, 13-6 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds Roll to Fourth Consecutive Win - Nashville Sounds
- Missions Fall to Baby Cakes to Even Series - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Beat Missions 5-2 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Fresno Grizzlies Homestand Preview: May 11-20 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (11-21) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (10-21) - Nashville Sounds
- Battery Power: Copeland shines on the hill, catcher Gushue homers in 4-1 Grizz win at Sacramento - Fresno Grizzlies
- Gerber homers in return to River Cats - Sacramento River Cats
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes at Tacoma - Reno Aces
- Redbirds Pick up 2-1 Win as Knizner, Ravelo Homer - Memphis Redbirds
- I-Cubs Streak Ends at Eight - Iowa Cubs
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 8, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express OF Yordan Alvarez Earns Astros Player of the Month Honors - Round Rock Express
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (17-15) vs Iowa Cubs (22-10) - Memphis Redbirds
- Delivering in the Clutch Again - San Antonio Missions
- Reyes de Plata Rally for 3-1 Victory over Salt Lake - Las Vegas Aviators
- Veteran Pitcher Edwin Jackson Enjoying Las Vegas Homecoming - Las Vegas Aviators
- Rainiers Hang Around But Drop Opener to Aces - Tacoma Rainiers
- Fresno continues winning ways over Sacramento with 7-3 triumph on Tuesday - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aviators Score Late to Upend Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats' home run barrage continues in loss to Grizzlies - Sacramento River Cats
- Cron Homers, Donatella Sharp in Aces Victory over Tacoma - Reno Aces
- Chihuahuas Use Early Power to Top Isotopes - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Sounds Hang On For 4-2 Win Tuesday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- I-Cubs Extend Winning Streak to Eight - Iowa Cubs
- Isotopes Drop Series Opener in El Paso - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Hager Wins It Again for San Antonio - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Lose in Extras - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Redbirds Short in 6-5 Loss to Iowa - Memphis Redbirds
- Dillard Earns 40th Win in Nashville's Victory - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Round Rock Express, RS3 Turf and ECHO Outdoor Power Equipment to Refurbish Playing Fields at Pflugerville Little League
- Los Lonely Boys to Perform First Concert at Brushy Creek Amphitheater
- Express Complete Thrilling 11-8 Victory over Redbirds
- Stu Scally Promoted to Express Assistant General Manager of Sales
- Round Rock Express Team up with Just Keep Livin Foundation to Host "Alright Alright Alright Night" on Saturday, August 3