Gerber homers in return to River Cats
West Sacramento, CA. - Left-fielder Mike Gerber homered in his first game back in Sacramento after being optioned by the San Francisco Giants. The Sacramento River Cats (17-16), however, dropped game two of their series with the Fresno Grizzlies (17-16) 4-1 and move into second place in the Pacific Northern Division.
Gerber doubled in his first plate appearance with the Giants last Friday, but struggled in his next 15 trips to the plate, striking out nine times. The 26-year old picked up where he left off with the River Cats on Wednesday though, going 2-for-3 with his seventh home run of the year. He is hitting .368 in Triple-A with 16 runs batted in.
Lefty Andrew Suarez made his return to the club as well, starting his fifth game of the season and his first since April 20 against Salt Lake. Suarez lasted just 3.1 innings, allowing two runs on five hits and a pair of walks with two strikeouts. He missed 17 games while on the injured list with a hamstring injury.
Righty Tyler Beede (1-0, 1.99) will get the ball for game three of four, looking to bring the River Cats back to .500 on Thursday night. Fresno will go with righty Paolo Espino (2-1, 5.91). First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m. (PT). Catch all of the action live online at rivercats.com, on the MiLB First Pitch app, or on Money 105.5 FM.
- Of the 190 total runs that the River Cats have scored this season, 81 of come via the long ball (43%). Last year only 19% of the club's runs resulted from home runs.
- The Sacramento River Cats have fallen below .500 for the first time since April 19 when they defeated Salt Lake 11-5 to move to 8-6 overall.
The Sacramento River Cats are the Triple-A affiliate of the three-time World Champion San Francisco Giants. The team plays at Raley Field in West Sacramento, consistently voted one of the top ballparks in America. Season Tickets, Mini-Plans, and Flex Plans can be purchased for the River Cats' 20th season by calling the River Cats Ticket Hotline at (916) 371-HITS (4487). The only place to guarantee official River Cats tickets is at www.rivercats.com. For information on other events at Raley Field, visit www.raleyfield.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 8, 2019
- Sounds Ring Dodgers, 13-6 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds Roll to Fourth Consecutive Win - Nashville Sounds
- Missions Fall to Baby Cakes to Even Series - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Beat Missions 5-2 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Fresno Grizzlies Homestand Preview: May 11-20 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (11-21) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (10-21) - Nashville Sounds
- Battery Power: Copeland shines on the hill, catcher Gushue homers in 4-1 Grizz win at Sacramento - Fresno Grizzlies
- Gerber homers in return to River Cats - Sacramento River Cats
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes at Tacoma - Reno Aces
- Redbirds Pick up 2-1 Win as Knizner, Ravelo Homer - Memphis Redbirds
- I-Cubs Streak Ends at Eight - Iowa Cubs
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 8, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express OF Yordan Alvarez Earns Astros Player of the Month Honors - Round Rock Express
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (17-15) vs Iowa Cubs (22-10) - Memphis Redbirds
- Delivering in the Clutch Again - San Antonio Missions
- Reyes de Plata Rally for 3-1 Victory over Salt Lake - Las Vegas Aviators
- Veteran Pitcher Edwin Jackson Enjoying Las Vegas Homecoming - Las Vegas Aviators
- Rainiers Hang Around But Drop Opener to Aces - Tacoma Rainiers
- Fresno continues winning ways over Sacramento with 7-3 triumph on Tuesday - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aviators Score Late to Upend Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats' home run barrage continues in loss to Grizzlies - Sacramento River Cats
- Cron Homers, Donatella Sharp in Aces Victory over Tacoma - Reno Aces
- Chihuahuas Use Early Power to Top Isotopes - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Sounds Hang On For 4-2 Win Tuesday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- I-Cubs Extend Winning Streak to Eight - Iowa Cubs
- Isotopes Drop Series Opener in El Paso - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Hager Wins It Again for San Antonio - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Lose in Extras - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Redbirds Short in 6-5 Loss to Iowa - Memphis Redbirds
- Dillard Earns 40th Win in Nashville's Victory - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento River Cats Stories
- USA Softball Team to Visit Sutter Health Park in Tune-Up for Olympics
- River Cats Announce 2019 Triple-A Championship Ring Design
- Full 2020 Sacramento River Cats Schedule Now Available
- Sacramento River Cats 2019 End of Season Notes
- River Cats finish 2019 season as Triple-A National Champions