I-Cubs Streak Ends at Eight
Memphis, TN - The Iowa Cubs (22-11) suffered their first loss in the month of May, falling to the Memphis Redbirds (18-15) by a score of 2-1 on Wednesday at AutoZone Park.
The I-Cubs got on the board first with a Wynton Bernard solo home run in the top of the second inning. Andrew Knizner quickly tied the game with a solo shot of his own in the bottom of the third.
Although Iowa loaded the bases three separate times in the game, they could not find a way to push another run across the plate and the score stayed locked at 1-1 until the bottom of the seventh inning.
Rangel Ravelo hit a solo home run off Dillon Maples in the home half of the seventh to give the Redbirds a 2-1 lead. This was the first home run Maples has allowed in 2019 and just his eighth since the beginning of the 2016 season.
Carlos Martinez wiggled out of a bases-loaded jam in the eighth and Chris Beck shut the door in the ninth, ending the I-Cubs' winning streak at eight games.
- Phillip Evans reached base safely four times including two walks. He leads the league with 28 free passes.
- Donnie Dewees extended his hitting streak to 13 games with a double in the top of the second inning.
- Dillon Maples gave up his first home run since September 21, 2018, against the White Sox.
- Donnie Dewees, Phillip Evans and Wynton Bernard all recorded multi-hit games.
- Trevor Clifton pitched 6.0 innings allowing five hits and just one earned run while striking out three, lowering his ERA on the season to 1.19.
Iowa and Memphis play game three of the series tomorrow with a 7:05 p.m. first pitch tomorrow at AutoZone Park. Follow the action on AM 940, TuneIn Radio or www.iowacubs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 8, 2019
- Sounds Ring Dodgers, 13-6 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds Roll to Fourth Consecutive Win - Nashville Sounds
- Missions Fall to Baby Cakes to Even Series - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Beat Missions 5-2 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Fresno Grizzlies Homestand Preview: May 11-20 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (11-21) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (10-21) - Nashville Sounds
- Battery Power: Copeland shines on the hill, catcher Gushue homers in 4-1 Grizz win at Sacramento - Fresno Grizzlies
- Gerber homers in return to River Cats - Sacramento River Cats
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes at Tacoma - Reno Aces
- Redbirds Pick up 2-1 Win as Knizner, Ravelo Homer - Memphis Redbirds
- I-Cubs Streak Ends at Eight - Iowa Cubs
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 8, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express OF Yordan Alvarez Earns Astros Player of the Month Honors - Round Rock Express
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (17-15) vs Iowa Cubs (22-10) - Memphis Redbirds
- Delivering in the Clutch Again - San Antonio Missions
- Reyes de Plata Rally for 3-1 Victory over Salt Lake - Las Vegas Aviators
- Veteran Pitcher Edwin Jackson Enjoying Las Vegas Homecoming - Las Vegas Aviators
- Rainiers Hang Around But Drop Opener to Aces - Tacoma Rainiers
- Fresno continues winning ways over Sacramento with 7-3 triumph on Tuesday - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aviators Score Late to Upend Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats' home run barrage continues in loss to Grizzlies - Sacramento River Cats
- Cron Homers, Donatella Sharp in Aces Victory over Tacoma - Reno Aces
- Chihuahuas Use Early Power to Top Isotopes - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Sounds Hang On For 4-2 Win Tuesday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- I-Cubs Extend Winning Streak to Eight - Iowa Cubs
- Isotopes Drop Series Opener in El Paso - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Hager Wins It Again for San Antonio - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Lose in Extras - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Redbirds Short in 6-5 Loss to Iowa - Memphis Redbirds
- Dillard Earns 40th Win in Nashville's Victory - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.