Redbirds Short in 6-5 Loss to Iowa
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - After leading 4-0, the Memphis Redbirds (17-15) fell behind by two, then rallied to load the bases with one out in the bottom of the ninth but could not finish the comeback in a 6-5 defeat to the Iowa Cubs (Cubs) in the series opener Tuesday night at AutoZone Park.
The win is Iowa's (22-10) eighth-straight.
The Redbirds took a 4-0 lead after three innings on the strength of an Adolis Garcia grand slam, his ninth home run of the season, while Anthony Shew was dealing on the mound. Through 6.0 innings, Shew allowed just one Iowa hit and struck out eight.
In 11.2 innings in two starts to start his Triple-A career, Shew has not allowed a run and has surrendered just four hits.
As the Redbirds bullpen entered, Iowa began to chip away. The Cubs scored twice off Chasen Shreve in the top of the seventh, then four times against Jesus Cruz in the top of the eighth to make the score 6-4.
Joe Hudson launched a homer leading off the bottom of the eighth to make the score 6-5, and Ryan Meisinger entered and struck out the Iowa side in the top of the ninth.
The home-half started off well for Memphis, with John Nogowski and Tyler O'Neill leading off the frame with back-to-back singles. After a Garcia flyout, Max Schrock added a single of his own to load the bases with one out.
But Ramon Urias grounded into a fielder's choice to third that erased Nogowski at the plate, and Hudson flew out to end the game.
O'Neill finished 3-for-4, and every other Redbirds starting position player had one hit.
The Redbirds left 12 men on base in the game, including multiple runners in four innings.
The Redbirds and Cubs continue their series tomorrow at 11:05 a.m. The Redbirds are home through next Tuesday.
Upcoming Games of Note at AutoZone Park
Thursday, May 9 at 7:05: Throwback Thursday presented by Polk's Meat Products, featuring the Memphis Chicks and throwback concession pricing of $2 beers and $1 Polk's hot dogs
Friday, May 10 at 7:05: All-You-Can-Eat Night specialty ticket option, featuring a two-hour all-you-can-eat tacos buffet, purchased at www.memphisredbirds.com/allyoucaneat, Papa John's Friday Family Pack specialty ticket option, with free ballpark food and Papa John's pizzas, at www.memphisredbirds.com/fridayfamilypack, Cardinals Adult Fleece Vest specialty ticket option at www.memphisredbirds.com/cardinals,
Saturday, May 11 at 6:35: Terminix Saturday Fireworks Show after the game, free "I Love Memphis Redbirds" t-shirt to the first 1,000 fans courtesy of Memphis Tourism and Memphis Sport Council
Sunday, May 12 at 2:05: Papa John's Mother's Day with a brunch and catch on the field specialty ticket available at www.memphisredbirds.com/mothersday, kids and moms run the bases after the game, Prairie Farms Ice Cream Sunday (free ice cream for kids upon entering), pregame autographs presented by Allegiant Air
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 8, 2019
- Sounds Ring Dodgers, 13-6 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds Roll to Fourth Consecutive Win - Nashville Sounds
- Missions Fall to Baby Cakes to Even Series - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Beat Missions 5-2 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Fresno Grizzlies Homestand Preview: May 11-20 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (11-21) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (10-21) - Nashville Sounds
- Battery Power: Copeland shines on the hill, catcher Gushue homers in 4-1 Grizz win at Sacramento - Fresno Grizzlies
- Gerber homers in return to River Cats - Sacramento River Cats
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes at Tacoma - Reno Aces
- Redbirds Pick up 2-1 Win as Knizner, Ravelo Homer - Memphis Redbirds
- I-Cubs Streak Ends at Eight - Iowa Cubs
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 8, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express OF Yordan Alvarez Earns Astros Player of the Month Honors - Round Rock Express
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (17-15) vs Iowa Cubs (22-10) - Memphis Redbirds
- Delivering in the Clutch Again - San Antonio Missions
- Reyes de Plata Rally for 3-1 Victory over Salt Lake - Las Vegas Aviators
- Veteran Pitcher Edwin Jackson Enjoying Las Vegas Homecoming - Las Vegas Aviators
- Rainiers Hang Around But Drop Opener to Aces - Tacoma Rainiers
- Fresno continues winning ways over Sacramento with 7-3 triumph on Tuesday - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aviators Score Late to Upend Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats' home run barrage continues in loss to Grizzlies - Sacramento River Cats
- Cron Homers, Donatella Sharp in Aces Victory over Tacoma - Reno Aces
- Chihuahuas Use Early Power to Top Isotopes - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Sounds Hang On For 4-2 Win Tuesday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- I-Cubs Extend Winning Streak to Eight - Iowa Cubs
- Isotopes Drop Series Opener in El Paso - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Hager Wins It Again for San Antonio - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Lose in Extras - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Redbirds Short in 6-5 Loss to Iowa - Memphis Redbirds
- Dillard Earns 40th Win in Nashville's Victory - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis Redbirds Stories
- Round Rock Tops Memphis, 4-1
- Redbirds, Walmart Partner to Give out School Supplies on "Back to School Night"
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (38-57) at Round Rock Express (55-40)
- Redbirds Blast Four Home Runs in 8-6 Win
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (37-57) at Round Rock Express (55-39)