I-Cubs Extend Winning Streak to Eight
MEMPHIS, TN - Down 4-0, the Iowa Cubs (22-10) scored six unanswered runs in the late frames to take a 6-5 comeback victory from the Memphis Redbirds (17-15), Tuesday at AutoZone Park to secure their eighth-straight win.
One swing of the bat put Memphis ahead in the third as Adolis Garcia clubbed a grand slam. It was the first grand slam hit off the I-Cubs in 2019. Drew Robinson walked before Lane Thomas and Tyler O'Neill both singled to set up the bases-loaded situation.
Iowa was one-hit through six frames by starter Anthony Shew but the offense heated up against the Redbirds' bullpen in the seventh. The I-Cubs rallied with two outs as Francisco Arcia roped a single and Jacob Hannemann walked. A Donnie Dewees RBI single broke the shutout and a Johnny Field base-knock cut the Iowa deficit to 4-2.
Ian Happ walked, Addison Russell was hit by a pitch and Phillip Evans took a free pass to open the eighth. With one out, Wynton Bernard powered a triple off the wall in center field to catapult the I-Cubs to a 5-4 lead. A squeeze play brought in an insurance run as Iowa batted around in the frame.
Memphis didn't go quietly as Joe Hudson brought the Redbirds within a run with a solo shot off Dakota Mekkes (W, 1-0) in the eighth. The home team proceeded to load the bags in the ninth but fell just short of the comeback as Hannemann saved the game with a sliding catch in center for the final out. Randy Rosario worked his way out of the threatening situation to earn his second save of the season.
- Ian Happ walked three times. He has 17 walks through his last 17 games.
- Phillip Evans walked twice and has a league-leading 26 free passes.
- Wynton Bernard (1-2, R, 3B, 3RBI) has knocked in five of Iowa's 12 runs in its last two games and has scored four times.
- Donnie Dewees (1-4) extended his hitting streak to 12 games.
Iowa and Memphis continue the set with an 11:05 a.m. first pitch tomorrow at First Tennessee Park. Follow the action on AM 940, TuneIn Radio or www.iowacubs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 8, 2019
- Sounds Ring Dodgers, 13-6 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds Roll to Fourth Consecutive Win - Nashville Sounds
- Missions Fall to Baby Cakes to Even Series - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Beat Missions 5-2 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Fresno Grizzlies Homestand Preview: May 11-20 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (11-21) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (10-21) - Nashville Sounds
- Battery Power: Copeland shines on the hill, catcher Gushue homers in 4-1 Grizz win at Sacramento - Fresno Grizzlies
- Gerber homers in return to River Cats - Sacramento River Cats
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes at Tacoma - Reno Aces
- Redbirds Pick up 2-1 Win as Knizner, Ravelo Homer - Memphis Redbirds
- I-Cubs Streak Ends at Eight - Iowa Cubs
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 8, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express OF Yordan Alvarez Earns Astros Player of the Month Honors - Round Rock Express
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (17-15) vs Iowa Cubs (22-10) - Memphis Redbirds
- Delivering in the Clutch Again - San Antonio Missions
- Reyes de Plata Rally for 3-1 Victory over Salt Lake - Las Vegas Aviators
- Veteran Pitcher Edwin Jackson Enjoying Las Vegas Homecoming - Las Vegas Aviators
- Rainiers Hang Around But Drop Opener to Aces - Tacoma Rainiers
- Fresno continues winning ways over Sacramento with 7-3 triumph on Tuesday - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aviators Score Late to Upend Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats' home run barrage continues in loss to Grizzlies - Sacramento River Cats
- Cron Homers, Donatella Sharp in Aces Victory over Tacoma - Reno Aces
- Chihuahuas Use Early Power to Top Isotopes - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Sounds Hang On For 4-2 Win Tuesday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- I-Cubs Extend Winning Streak to Eight - Iowa Cubs
- Isotopes Drop Series Opener in El Paso - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Hager Wins It Again for San Antonio - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Lose in Extras - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Redbirds Short in 6-5 Loss to Iowa - Memphis Redbirds
- Dillard Earns 40th Win in Nashville's Victory - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.