Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes
San Antonio Missions (18-14) vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes (17-15)
Game #33/Home Game #18
Wednesday, May 8, 7:05 p.m.
Nelson Wolff Stadium
MiLB.tv / KONO 860 AM
RHP Bubba Derby (0-1, 4.85) vs. RHP Zac Gallen (4-0, 1.12)
Totally Pitchin': The Missions and Baby Cakes have been two of the strongest pitching teams in the Pacific Coast League this season. They have the two best ERA's in the league and are tied for the fewest walks. The Missions and Baby Cakes are in the top three in hits allowed (SA, 1st, 232 & NO, 3rd, 245), runs allowed (SA, 2nd, 128 & NO, 3rd, 139), earned runs (SA, 1st, 113 & NO, T-2nd, 120), WHIP (SA & NO, T-1st, 1.27), and opponent batting average (SA, 1st, .232 & NO, 2nd, .237).
Extra, Extra: The San Antonio Missions played their first extra-inning game of the season and emerged victorious thanks to Jake Hager's walk off single in the bottom of the 10th inning. It was the second walk-off for Hager during the homestand. San Antonio went 8-7 in extra-inning affairs in 2018.
Silencing the Opposition: The Missions' pitching staff logged its league-leading fifth shutout of the season last night. It was the first 1-0 win in a nine-inning game for San Antonio since July 25, 2018 against Corpus Christi. Tacoma is the only other team in the PCL with five shutouts. Reno and San Antonio are the only two ball clubs on the circuit who have yet to be blanked this season. New Orleans has shutout its opponents four times this season.
Going Orf: Nate Orf went 0-for-3 on May 1 at Iowa and saw his batting average dip to .209. In seven games since then he is batting .350 (7-for-20) with 6 runs, 3 home runs, 5 RBI, and drawn 4 walks. His on-base percentage during that span is .480 and his OPS is a blistering 1.280. He is now batting .241 on the season.
*WHAT THEY'RE SAYING*
San Antonio Missions (@missionsmilb)
Don't forget, tonight is Military Appreciation Night presented by Kahlig Auto Group! All active and retired military men and women can present their Military ID at the Missions ticket office and receive up to 4 complimentary outfield reserved tickets. bit.ly/2J2Ivgz
RHP Tristan Archer transferred from San Antonio to Rocky Mountain
RHP Jon Olczak transferred from San Antonio to Rocky Mountain
RHP Jay Jackson sent outright to San Antonio
RHP Taylor Williams optioned (5/5) to San Antonio and activated
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 8, 2019
- Sounds Ring Dodgers, 13-6 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds Roll to Fourth Consecutive Win - Nashville Sounds
- Missions Fall to Baby Cakes to Even Series - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Beat Missions 5-2 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Fresno Grizzlies Homestand Preview: May 11-20 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (11-21) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (10-21) - Nashville Sounds
- Battery Power: Copeland shines on the hill, catcher Gushue homers in 4-1 Grizz win at Sacramento - Fresno Grizzlies
- Gerber homers in return to River Cats - Sacramento River Cats
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes at Tacoma - Reno Aces
- Redbirds Pick up 2-1 Win as Knizner, Ravelo Homer - Memphis Redbirds
- I-Cubs Streak Ends at Eight - Iowa Cubs
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 8, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express OF Yordan Alvarez Earns Astros Player of the Month Honors - Round Rock Express
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (17-15) vs Iowa Cubs (22-10) - Memphis Redbirds
- Delivering in the Clutch Again - San Antonio Missions
- Reyes de Plata Rally for 3-1 Victory over Salt Lake - Las Vegas Aviators
- Veteran Pitcher Edwin Jackson Enjoying Las Vegas Homecoming - Las Vegas Aviators
- Rainiers Hang Around But Drop Opener to Aces - Tacoma Rainiers
- Fresno continues winning ways over Sacramento with 7-3 triumph on Tuesday - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aviators Score Late to Upend Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats' home run barrage continues in loss to Grizzlies - Sacramento River Cats
- Cron Homers, Donatella Sharp in Aces Victory over Tacoma - Reno Aces
- Chihuahuas Use Early Power to Top Isotopes - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Sounds Hang On For 4-2 Win Tuesday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- I-Cubs Extend Winning Streak to Eight - Iowa Cubs
- Isotopes Drop Series Opener in El Paso - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Hager Wins It Again for San Antonio - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Lose in Extras - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Redbirds Short in 6-5 Loss to Iowa - Memphis Redbirds
- Dillard Earns 40th Win in Nashville's Victory - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio Missions Stories
- Rosters Announced for McCombs Ford West's High School Baseball Seniors Celebration at the Wolff
- Wolff Stadium to Host McCombs Ford West's HS Baseball Seniors Celebration
- San Antonio to Host 2020 Texas Collegiate League Team
- San Antonio Missions to Take Part in MiLB's CommUnity First Campaign
- Missions to Re-Air 2019 Home Opener as Part of #MiLBAtHomeOpener Initiative