Rainiers Hang Around But Drop Opener to Aces
Tacoma, WA - Center fielder Mallex Smith went 3-for-5 with a late innings RBI single, but the Tacoma Rainiers couldn't capitalize further and suffered a 4-3 Tuesday night defeat in game one of a four-game tilt against the Reno Aces at Cheney Stadium.
The Rainiers (14-19) fell behind in the fourth inning when Reno (14-18) scored three runs, with two coming on a home run against Tacoma starter Tyler Cloyd (0-1). Cloyd had not allowed a run in his first nine innings this season.
Tacoma bounced back with two runs in the bottom of the fourth when first baseman Ryan Court hit a two-run blast to left field in his second at-bat with the Rainiers. The 30-year-old was most recently playing with the Sugar Land Skeeters in the Atlantic League and signed a Minor League contract with the Mariners over the weekend.
Down 4-2 in the seventh, Smith provided his run-scoring knock to right which scored Ian Miller to cut the deficit to one. The Rainiers put the tying and go-ahead runs on in both the seventh and eighth innings but couldn't pull even with the Aces.
Tacoma's bullpen combined for four scoreless innings in the defeat. Tayler Scott entered in the sixth inning with runners on first and second and no outs. The South African-born hurler got through the inning with no runs allowed and retired all six he faced over two innings.
Right-hander Austin Adams, recently acquired from the Washington Nationals in a trade and optioned to Tacoma, pitched a scoreless eighth after working around a two-out double. Ryan Garton pitched a perfect ninth with one punch-out.
Game two between the Rainiers and Aces is at 6:05 p.m. PDT on Wednesday. Tacoma lefty Jon Niese (1-0, 3.24) will try to build off his first win since 2016 on May 3. Listen to full coverage on South Sound Talk 850, with audio streaming on the Rainiers TuneIn Radio Network.
All tickets, group outings, and suites packages for the 2019 season are available for purchase in person at the Cheney Stadium Box Office, online at TacomaRainiers.com and WeRTacoma.com, or over the phone at (253) 752-7707. The most up-to-date news and notes about the Rainiers throughout the season can be found by following the Rainiers on Twitter (@RainiersLand), Instagram (tacomarainiers) or liking the team on Facebook.
Images from this story
Mallex Smith at bat for the Tacoma Rainiers
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 8, 2019
- Sounds Ring Dodgers, 13-6 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds Roll to Fourth Consecutive Win - Nashville Sounds
- Missions Fall to Baby Cakes to Even Series - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Beat Missions 5-2 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Fresno Grizzlies Homestand Preview: May 11-20 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (11-21) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (10-21) - Nashville Sounds
- Battery Power: Copeland shines on the hill, catcher Gushue homers in 4-1 Grizz win at Sacramento - Fresno Grizzlies
- Gerber homers in return to River Cats - Sacramento River Cats
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes at Tacoma - Reno Aces
- Redbirds Pick up 2-1 Win as Knizner, Ravelo Homer - Memphis Redbirds
- I-Cubs Streak Ends at Eight - Iowa Cubs
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 8, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express OF Yordan Alvarez Earns Astros Player of the Month Honors - Round Rock Express
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (17-15) vs Iowa Cubs (22-10) - Memphis Redbirds
- Delivering in the Clutch Again - San Antonio Missions
- Reyes de Plata Rally for 3-1 Victory over Salt Lake - Las Vegas Aviators
- Veteran Pitcher Edwin Jackson Enjoying Las Vegas Homecoming - Las Vegas Aviators
- Rainiers Hang Around But Drop Opener to Aces - Tacoma Rainiers
- Fresno continues winning ways over Sacramento with 7-3 triumph on Tuesday - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aviators Score Late to Upend Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats' home run barrage continues in loss to Grizzlies - Sacramento River Cats
- Cron Homers, Donatella Sharp in Aces Victory over Tacoma - Reno Aces
- Chihuahuas Use Early Power to Top Isotopes - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Sounds Hang On For 4-2 Win Tuesday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- I-Cubs Extend Winning Streak to Eight - Iowa Cubs
- Isotopes Drop Series Opener in El Paso - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Hager Wins It Again for San Antonio - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Lose in Extras - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Redbirds Short in 6-5 Loss to Iowa - Memphis Redbirds
- Dillard Earns 40th Win in Nashville's Victory - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tacoma Rainiers Stories
- Brugman Homers One Last Time, Rainiers Fall to Las Vegas in Season Finale
- Nolin Strikes out 11, Rainiers Drop Sunday Night Match-Up against Aviators
- Misiewicz Dominant to Propel Rainiers to Second-Straight Win in Las Vegas
- Andreoli Racks up Four Hits, Brugman Knocks in Game-Winner for Rainiers
- Brugman Plates Four, Rainiers Drop Series Finale to Fresno