Fresno continues winning ways over Sacramento with 7-3 triumph on Tuesday
West Sacramento, Calif. - The Fresno Grizzlies (16-16) won for the fifth time in six outings Tuesday night, in their first game with and visit to the Sacramento River Cats (16-16) of 2019. Since the beginning of the 2015 season, Fresno is 43-22 against Sacramento, and 26-7 on the road at Raley Field.
The Grizzlies began the first and second innings in identical fashion; Collin Cowgill started the game with a double, scoring the next batter on a Jacob Wilson RBI single. An inning later, Matt Reynolds led off with a double, scoring a man later on Jose Marmolejos's run-scoring base hit. Matt Reistetter also chipped in an RBI single, plating Marmolejos.
Reynolds led off the fourth with a solo homer, his third of the season, which proved to be the game-winning hit as Fresno's fourth run. Wilson smacked a two-run shot to straightaway centerfield in the eighth, re-taking the club lead with his 11th of the season, breaking a tie with Yadiel Hernandez. Wilson also leads the Grizzlies with 35 RBI (three on Tuesday), in only 29 games played.
Kyle McGowin (3-2) turned in his third consecutive quality start for Fresno, allowing three earned runs over six innings, with six strikeouts. A Chris Dominguez RBI double in the ninth wrapped the night's scoring. A pair of solo homers (Mike Yastrzemski & Levi Michael) provided the bulk of the Sacramento offense.
Top Performers: Fresno Grizzlies (Washington Nationals)
- 3B Jacob Wilson (3-4, HR, 3 RBI)
- SS Matt Reynolds (2-3, HR, BB, 3 R)
- CF Collin Cowgill (2-3, 2B, BB, 2 R)
Top Performers: Sacramento River Cats (San Francisco Giants)
- CF Mike Yastrzemski (2-5, HR)
- 2B Levi Michael (2-4, HR)
DAY DATE OPPONENT PROBABLE PITCHERS TIME (PT) RADIO/TV
Wednesday May 8 Sacramento River Cats (Road) RHP Scott Copeland (Fresno) vs. LHP Andrew Suarez (Sacramento) 12:05 p.m. KRDU 1130 AM / MiLB.TV
ON THAT FRES-NOTE: Regardless of affiliate, the Grizzlies continue to have success in the first game of a series; 7-2 this season after Tuesday's win in Sacramento, Fresno is 32-13 (.711) in series openers since the beginning of 2018. They are 100-53 (.654) in game ones since opening day 2015, their first of four seasons affiliated with the Houston Astros.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 8, 2019
- Sounds Ring Dodgers, 13-6 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds Roll to Fourth Consecutive Win - Nashville Sounds
- Missions Fall to Baby Cakes to Even Series - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Beat Missions 5-2 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Fresno Grizzlies Homestand Preview: May 11-20 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (11-21) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (10-21) - Nashville Sounds
- Battery Power: Copeland shines on the hill, catcher Gushue homers in 4-1 Grizz win at Sacramento - Fresno Grizzlies
- Gerber homers in return to River Cats - Sacramento River Cats
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes at Tacoma - Reno Aces
- Redbirds Pick up 2-1 Win as Knizner, Ravelo Homer - Memphis Redbirds
- I-Cubs Streak Ends at Eight - Iowa Cubs
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 8, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express OF Yordan Alvarez Earns Astros Player of the Month Honors - Round Rock Express
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (17-15) vs Iowa Cubs (22-10) - Memphis Redbirds
- Delivering in the Clutch Again - San Antonio Missions
- Reyes de Plata Rally for 3-1 Victory over Salt Lake - Las Vegas Aviators
- Veteran Pitcher Edwin Jackson Enjoying Las Vegas Homecoming - Las Vegas Aviators
- Rainiers Hang Around But Drop Opener to Aces - Tacoma Rainiers
- Fresno continues winning ways over Sacramento with 7-3 triumph on Tuesday - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aviators Score Late to Upend Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats' home run barrage continues in loss to Grizzlies - Sacramento River Cats
- Cron Homers, Donatella Sharp in Aces Victory over Tacoma - Reno Aces
- Chihuahuas Use Early Power to Top Isotopes - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Sounds Hang On For 4-2 Win Tuesday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- I-Cubs Extend Winning Streak to Eight - Iowa Cubs
- Isotopes Drop Series Opener in El Paso - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Hager Wins It Again for San Antonio - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Lose in Extras - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Redbirds Short in 6-5 Loss to Iowa - Memphis Redbirds
- Dillard Earns 40th Win in Nashville's Victory - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno Grizzlies Stories
- Grizzlies Announce New Lowriders Logo as Part of Minor League Baseball's Copa Unveiling Day
- Grizzlies' Gushue named to Team USA Premier12 roster
- Grizzlies Invite Central Valley to Watch the Biggest Game in Baseball at Chukchansi Park
- A World Series That Is Farm Grown in Fresno
- Grizzlies Invite Central Valley to Cheer on the Nationals in the World Series