Fresno continues winning ways over Sacramento with 7-3 triumph on Tuesday
West Sacramento, Calif. - The Fresno Grizzlies (16-16) won for the fifth time in six outings Tuesday night, in their first game with and visit to the Sacramento River Cats (16-16) of 2019. Since the beginning of the 2015 season, Fresno is 43-22 against Sacramento, and 26-7 on the road at Raley Field.
The Grizzlies began the first and second innings in identical fashion; Collin Cowgill started the game with a double, scoring the next batter on a Jacob Wilson RBI single. An inning later, Matt Reynolds led off with a double, scoring a man later on Jose Marmolejos's run-scoring base hit. Matt Reistetter also chipped in an RBI single, plating Marmolejos.
Reynolds led off the fourth with a solo homer, his third of the season, which proved to be the game-winning hit as Fresno's fourth run. Wilson smacked a two-run shot to straightaway centerfield in the eighth, re-taking the club lead with his 11th of the season, breaking a tie with Yadiel Hernandez. Wilson also leads the Grizzlies with 35 RBI (three on Tuesday), in only 29 games played.
Kyle McGowin (3-2) turned in his third consecutive quality start for Fresno, allowing three earned runs over six innings, with six strikeouts. A Chris Dominguez RBI double in the ninth wrapped the night's scoring. A pair of solo homers (Mike Yastrzemski & Levi Michael) provided the bulk of the Sacramento offense.
Top Performers: Fresno Grizzlies (Washington Nationals)
- 3B Jacob Wilson (3-4, HR, 3 RBI)
- SS Matt Reynolds (2-3, HR, BB, 3 R)
- CF Collin Cowgill (2-3, 2B, BB, 2 R)
Top Performers: Sacramento River Cats (San Francisco Giants)
- CF Mike Yastrzemski (2-5, HR)
- 2B Levi Michael (2-4, HR)
DAY DATE OPPONENT PROBABLE PITCHERS TIME (PT) RADIO/TV
Wednesday May 8 Sacramento River Cats (Road) RHP Scott Copeland (Fresno) vs. LHP Andrew Suarez (Sacramento) 12:05 p.m. KRDU 1130 AM / MiLB.TV
ON THAT FRES-NOTE: Regardless of affiliate, the Grizzlies continue to have success in the first game of a series; 7-2 this season after Tuesday's win in Sacramento, Fresno is 32-13 (.711) in series openers since the beginning of 2018. They are 100-53 (.654) in game ones since opening day 2015, their first of four seasons affiliated with the Houston Astros.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 8, 2019
- Sounds Ring Dodgers, 13-6 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds Roll to Fourth Consecutive Win - Nashville Sounds
- Missions Fall to Baby Cakes to Even Series - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Beat Missions 5-2 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Fresno Grizzlies Homestand Preview: May 11-20 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (11-21) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (10-21) - Nashville Sounds
- Battery Power: Copeland shines on the hill, catcher Gushue homers in 4-1 Grizz win at Sacramento - Fresno Grizzlies
- Gerber homers in return to River Cats - Sacramento River Cats
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes at Tacoma - Reno Aces
- Redbirds Pick up 2-1 Win as Knizner, Ravelo Homer - Memphis Redbirds
- I-Cubs Streak Ends at Eight - Iowa Cubs
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 8, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express OF Yordan Alvarez Earns Astros Player of the Month Honors - Round Rock Express
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (17-15) vs Iowa Cubs (22-10) - Memphis Redbirds
- Delivering in the Clutch Again - San Antonio Missions
- Reyes de Plata Rally for 3-1 Victory over Salt Lake - Las Vegas Aviators
- Veteran Pitcher Edwin Jackson Enjoying Las Vegas Homecoming - Las Vegas Aviators
- Rainiers Hang Around But Drop Opener to Aces - Tacoma Rainiers
- Fresno continues winning ways over Sacramento with 7-3 triumph on Tuesday - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aviators Score Late to Upend Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats' home run barrage continues in loss to Grizzlies - Sacramento River Cats
- Cron Homers, Donatella Sharp in Aces Victory over Tacoma - Reno Aces
- Chihuahuas Use Early Power to Top Isotopes - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Sounds Hang On For 4-2 Win Tuesday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- I-Cubs Extend Winning Streak to Eight - Iowa Cubs
- Isotopes Drop Series Opener in El Paso - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Hager Wins It Again for San Antonio - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Lose in Extras - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Redbirds Short in 6-5 Loss to Iowa - Memphis Redbirds
- Dillard Earns 40th Win in Nashville's Victory - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.