Battery Power: Copeland shines on the hill, catcher Gushue homers in 4-1 Grizz win at Sacramento
West Sacramento, Calif. - Catcher Taylor Gushue extended the longest Fresno Grizzlies hit streak this season to 11 games, going 3-for-4 with a homer on Tuesday afternoon at Raley Field. The Grizzlies (17-16) knocked off the Sacramento River Cats (16-17) for the second time in as many games in the clubs' first series this season.
Gushue's sixth inning solo shot was his first of 2019. Four consecutive base hits in the second inning set the tone for the afternoon, capped by an RBI single from Chris Dominguez and an RBI double from Bengie Gonzalez. Gushue singled and scored in the frame to extend his streak, during which he's batting .383 (18-for-47).
Jacob Wilson added his club-leading 36th RBI on a single in the seventh to round out the scoring. Wilson is on a six-game hit streak of his own, a 12-for-24 stretch.
Right-hander Scott Copeland turned in his finest start of the season thus far for Fresno, allowing only four hits and a run (Mike Gerber solo homer, sixth inning). The right-hander walked three but equaled a season-high with eight strikeouts. Derek Self worked a scoreless ninth with a strikeout, good for his second save.
Top Performers: Fresno Grizzlies (Washington Nationals)
- C Taylor Gushue (3-4, solo HR, 2 R)
- RHP Scott Copeland (7.0 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 8 K)
- SS Bengie Gonzalez (2-4, RBI)
Top Performers: Sacramento River Cats (San Francisco Giants)
- LF Mike Gerber (2-3, solo HR)
DAY DATE OPPONENT PROBABLE PITCHERS TIME (PT) RADIO/TV
Thursday May 9 Sacramento River Cats (Road) RHP Paolo Espino (Fresno) vs. RHP Tyler Beede (Sacramento) 7:05 p.m. KRDU 1130 AM / MiLB.TV
ON THAT FRES-NOTE: Now two games into the Washington Nationals era of this rivalry for the Grizzlies, since the beginning of the 2015 season Fresno is 44-22 against Sacramento, and 27-7 on the road at Raley Field.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 8, 2019
- Sounds Ring Dodgers, 13-6 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds Roll to Fourth Consecutive Win - Nashville Sounds
- Missions Fall to Baby Cakes to Even Series - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Beat Missions 5-2 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Fresno Grizzlies Homestand Preview: May 11-20 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (11-21) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (10-21) - Nashville Sounds
- Battery Power: Copeland shines on the hill, catcher Gushue homers in 4-1 Grizz win at Sacramento - Fresno Grizzlies
- Gerber homers in return to River Cats - Sacramento River Cats
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes at Tacoma - Reno Aces
- Redbirds Pick up 2-1 Win as Knizner, Ravelo Homer - Memphis Redbirds
- I-Cubs Streak Ends at Eight - Iowa Cubs
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 8, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express OF Yordan Alvarez Earns Astros Player of the Month Honors - Round Rock Express
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (17-15) vs Iowa Cubs (22-10) - Memphis Redbirds
- Delivering in the Clutch Again - San Antonio Missions
- Reyes de Plata Rally for 3-1 Victory over Salt Lake - Las Vegas Aviators
- Veteran Pitcher Edwin Jackson Enjoying Las Vegas Homecoming - Las Vegas Aviators
- Rainiers Hang Around But Drop Opener to Aces - Tacoma Rainiers
- Fresno continues winning ways over Sacramento with 7-3 triumph on Tuesday - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aviators Score Late to Upend Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats' home run barrage continues in loss to Grizzlies - Sacramento River Cats
- Cron Homers, Donatella Sharp in Aces Victory over Tacoma - Reno Aces
- Chihuahuas Use Early Power to Top Isotopes - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Sounds Hang On For 4-2 Win Tuesday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- I-Cubs Extend Winning Streak to Eight - Iowa Cubs
- Isotopes Drop Series Opener in El Paso - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Hager Wins It Again for San Antonio - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Lose in Extras - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Redbirds Short in 6-5 Loss to Iowa - Memphis Redbirds
- Dillard Earns 40th Win in Nashville's Victory - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno Grizzlies Stories
- Fresno drops rubber match to Iowa 7-2
- Cubs bear crawl past Grizzlies 3-2 Thursday night
- Grizzlies slash seven doubles in 7-6 victory over Cubs
- Oklahoma City dodges sweep, outlasts Fresno 6-5 on Monday
- Fresno Grizzlies (and "Lowriders de Fresno") Return Home for 7 Games, June 12-18