Grizzlies Clinch Playoffs with 3-2 Overtime Win in Colorado
Loveland, Colorado - The Utah Grizzlies scored 18 seconds into overtime to beat the Colorado Eagles 3-2 Friday at Budweiser Events Center. The win clinches Utah's ninth playoff spot in ten seasons.
"Igor Bobkov was great in net and we found a way to get the job done," said Head Coach/General Manager Tim Branham.
Utah (36-27-5-3) will open the first round of the playoffs next week against the Idaho Steelheads. The complete series schedule will be announced Saturday morning at 10 a.m.
"We're definitely proud, we have a smile on our faces right now," said forward Cam Wojtala.
The Grizzlies never led until Brenden Walker's power-play goal as he had a wide open net with Matt Pelech and Alex Krushelnyski picking up assists in the four-on-three situation right off of the face-off to start overtime.
Utah battled back down 1-0 in the first period and down 2-1 in the second period before tying each time.
Mathieu Aubin's 26th goal of the season, 6:22 after Colorado scored shorthanded to go up 1-0, tied the game at one on the power-play with 3:45 left in the first period after Brenden Walker won a face-off.
After Colorado made it 2-1 with 5 seconds left on a power-play at 9:25 of the second period, the Grizzlies again tied the game as Cam Wojtala (8) hammered in a goal from on top of the net. Mike Folkes held the puck in and got it deep before H.T. Lenz fed his fellow rookie for the goal.
Igor Bobkov improved to 19-12-2-0 stopping 25 of 27 shots, including a breakaway at the end of regulation to earn the win.
Utah closes the regular season Saturday at 7 p.m. in Colorado.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 11, 2015
- Grizzlies Close Regular Season with 5-2 Win in Colorado - Utah Grizzlies
- Everblades Close Regular Season with 5-4 Victory over Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Warriors Win Fourth Straight in Season Finale - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Flath's Two Not Enough in 5-2 Loss to Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Fall to Mallards in OT, Settle for Fourth Spot in Central Division - Tulsa Oilers
- K-Wings Announce 2014-15 Team Awards during Fan Appreciation Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- K-Wings Hook Walleye - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mallards Win Regular Season Finale 2-1 in Overtime, Will Face Rapid City in Opening Round of Playoff - Quad City Mallards
- K-Wings to Meet Komets in the Playoffs - Kalamazoo Wings
- Stingrays and Royals Clash in the Opening Round of the 2015 Kelly Cup Playoffs - South Carolina Stingrays
- Playoffs Set - Rapid City Rush
- Stingrays Set ECHL Record with Shutout over Evansville - South Carolina Stingrays
- Fuel's Season Ends with 2-1 Shootout Loss to Royals - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Close Season with 3-2 Shootout Defeat in Fort Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- 2014-15 IceMen Season Screeches to a Stop in South Carolina - Evansville IceMen
- Beast Shutout Mavericks in Overtime Thriller - Brampton Beast
- Mavericks Edged 1-0 by Beast in Overtime - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mallards Win Regular Season Finale, Will Face Rapid City in Opening Round of Playoffs - Quad City Mallards
- Nailers Clinch Playoffs with 5-3 Win in Elmira - Wheeling Nailers
- Toledo Stopped by Kalamazoo 4-1 - Toledo Walleye
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Countdown to Face-Off: Kalamazoo Wings vs Toledo Walleye - Kalamazoo Wings
- Former Aces Defenseman John Ramage Makes NHL Debut - Alaska Aces
- ECHL Transactions - April 11 - ECHL
- Royals Defenseman Bryant Molle Loaned to Syracuse Crunch - Reading Royals
- Nailers at Jackals Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Preview - Ontario Reign at Alaska Aces - Ontario Reign
- Thunder Close First Season in ECHL with Fandemonium - Wichita Thunder
- Jackals Hold Fan Appreciation Night to Conclude 2014-15 Season - Elmira Jackals
- Final Thunder Home Game at Stockton Arena at 7:30 p.m. - Stockton Thunder
- Gladiators Game Preview: Gladiators at Road Warriors - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati at Fort Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Grizzlies Announce First Round Playoff Schedule - Utah Grizzlies
- Carey, O'Donoghue Recalled to Portland - Atlanta Gladiators
- Stingrays Announce Opening-Round Schedule Scenarios - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Today - April 11 - ECHL
- Stingrays Game Preview: Stingrays Close Regular-Season Schedule Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mathematically eliminated Aces close Friday with victory before 5,419 fans - Alaska Aces
- Reign Drop 3-1 Decision to Aces - Ontario Reign
- 7,017 Cheer on the Condors to 6-2 Rout of Stockton in Home Finale - Bakersfield Condors
- Larocque Scores in Second Straight against Bakersfield but Team Falls - Stockton Thunder
- Thunder Close StoneWolf Casino Cup Series with SO Loss - Wichita Thunder
- Royals Drop Third Straight One-Goal Decision, 3-2 to Indy - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Clinch Playoffs with 3-2 Overtime Win in Colorado - Utah Grizzlies
- Jackals Fall in Final Road Game, 3-1 - Elmira Jackals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Utah Grizzlies Stories
- Grizzlies Forward Matthew Boucher Named ECHL Player of the Week
- Grizzlies Weekly: 3 Home Games this Weekend at Maverik Center
- Grizzlies Get a Standings Point in 5-4 OT Loss
- Grizzlies Preview: Utah at Rapid City, January 23, 2021
- Bradley, Woods Leads Utah to Friday Night Win