Royals Drop Third Straight One-Goal Decision, 3-2 to Indy
Reading, PA - The Reading Royals (loss, 44-21-4-294) of the ECHL, affiliate of the Philadelphia Flyers of the National Hockey League and the Lehigh Valley Phantoms of the American Hockey League, were defeated by the Indy Fuel (win, 31-30-4-672), 3-2, at Santander Arena in Reading, Pennsylvania.
In the first of a two-game season-ending set with the Indy Fuel, the Royals fell for the first time in seven tries against the Fuel (6-1-0-0), despite scoring first and battling back to tie things in the third. Reading ended up dropping the team's third one-goal decision in a row, when Indy's Peter Schneider snuck one between the legs of goaltender Martin Ouellette with just 2:44 left in regulation. The loss kept Reading in third place of the East, still one point behind the South Carolina Stingrays. The Royals and Stingrays will finish their respective regular seasons tomorrow with home ice advantage in the impending first round best-of-seven East Division Semi-Final Series between the two teams yet to be decided.
Tonight, Reading lost in regulation for only the second time this season when scoring the first goal on home ice, running the team's record to 30-6-0-2 overall and 15-2-0-2 at home when scoring the game's first goal. Reading bagged the opening salvo 2:41 into the game when Brandon Alderson was freed down the right wing side into the offensive zone on a feed from Ian Watters. Alderson powered his way behind the Indy net coming out on the left side of the cage where he slipped the puck to the mid-slot where Sean Wiles came charging down the middle and ripped a catch-and-release snapper that bulleted over the left arm of goaltender Mac Carruth for Wiles' twenty-fourth of the year.
Indy tied the game at one 3:24 into the second frame shortly after the Royals had created a scoring flurry in the offensive zone, but appeared disorganized coming back into the defensive zone to face a Fuel counter-punch. With Reading's defense scrambling, Garret Bembridge slipped a pass to the mid-slot to Kyle Stroh, who was cutting through the slot. It originally appeared that Stroh was going to shoot from just below the hash-marks directly in the middle of the ice, but he mishandled the puck, which worked to his advantage because goaltender Martin Ouellette committed to the ice in anticipation of what he thought was going to be a shot from the middle of the ice. However, as Stroh fumbled the puck it slid farther to the right where he had time to settle and calmly fire the puck into an essentially net because Ouellette was caught on the ice at the top of the crease-and the Reading defenders were not in a position to thwart the second bid.
Indy took their first lead of the game 9:06 into the second period on their second power play chance of the night. The Fuel worked the puck from the high slot to the top of the right circle to the interior portion of the left circle on passes by Nick Jones to Justin Holl to Stroh, who was waiting in the left circle for the cross-slot pass from Holl. Stroh ripped a perfect one-timer short-side on Ouellette for his second of the game and twenty-fifth of the season.
Reading tied the game 10:22 into the third period when Olivier Labelle set Kevin Walrod for a shot off the rush out of the left circle. Walrod's snap shot appeared to catch the stick of an Indy defender and rocket up and over the left shoulder of Carruth for Walrod's tenth of the year.
Undaunted, the Fuel took the two points on a late third-period tie-breaking game winner when Peter Schneider came charging down the left wing side and fired a shot that slipped through the legs of Ouellette; however, Ouellette got enough of that shot as it was trickling through his legs to cause it to angle just wide of the left pipe. Nonetheless, the Fuel continued to press, and Chris DeSousa retrieved the loose puck below the goal line, carried it to the right side of the Royals' net, and slipped a pass back up into the right circle, where a waiting Schneider took a second shot that slipped between Ouellette's legs-except that this one ended up in the net for Schneider's fourth of the year in his ninth game with the Fuel.
Despite a late game pulled-goaltender sixth attacker push, the come-back wasn't in the cards for the Royals, who dropped the team's third straight game in regulation for the third time this year-and the first time since early December (11/29 - 12/06/14).
NEXT UP FOR THE ROYALS Reading Royals v Indy Fuel @ Santander Arena - Reading, PA Friday, April 10, 2015 (7:30 pm Eastern Time)
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 11, 2015
- Grizzlies Close Regular Season with 5-2 Win in Colorado - Utah Grizzlies
- Everblades Close Regular Season with 5-4 Victory over Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Warriors Win Fourth Straight in Season Finale - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Flath's Two Not Enough in 5-2 Loss to Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Fall to Mallards in OT, Settle for Fourth Spot in Central Division - Tulsa Oilers
- K-Wings Announce 2014-15 Team Awards during Fan Appreciation Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- K-Wings Hook Walleye - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mallards Win Regular Season Finale 2-1 in Overtime, Will Face Rapid City in Opening Round of Playoff - Quad City Mallards
- K-Wings to Meet Komets in the Playoffs - Kalamazoo Wings
- Stingrays and Royals Clash in the Opening Round of the 2015 Kelly Cup Playoffs - South Carolina Stingrays
- Playoffs Set - Rapid City Rush
- Stingrays Set ECHL Record with Shutout over Evansville - South Carolina Stingrays
- Fuel's Season Ends with 2-1 Shootout Loss to Royals - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Close Season with 3-2 Shootout Defeat in Fort Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- 2014-15 IceMen Season Screeches to a Stop in South Carolina - Evansville IceMen
- Beast Shutout Mavericks in Overtime Thriller - Brampton Beast
- Mavericks Edged 1-0 by Beast in Overtime - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mallards Win Regular Season Finale, Will Face Rapid City in Opening Round of Playoffs - Quad City Mallards
- Nailers Clinch Playoffs with 5-3 Win in Elmira - Wheeling Nailers
- Toledo Stopped by Kalamazoo 4-1 - Toledo Walleye
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Countdown to Face-Off: Kalamazoo Wings vs Toledo Walleye - Kalamazoo Wings
- Former Aces Defenseman John Ramage Makes NHL Debut - Alaska Aces
- ECHL Transactions - April 11 - ECHL
- Royals Defenseman Bryant Molle Loaned to Syracuse Crunch - Reading Royals
- Nailers at Jackals Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Preview - Ontario Reign at Alaska Aces - Ontario Reign
- Thunder Close First Season in ECHL with Fandemonium - Wichita Thunder
- Jackals Hold Fan Appreciation Night to Conclude 2014-15 Season - Elmira Jackals
- Final Thunder Home Game at Stockton Arena at 7:30 p.m. - Stockton Thunder
- Gladiators Game Preview: Gladiators at Road Warriors - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati at Fort Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Grizzlies Announce First Round Playoff Schedule - Utah Grizzlies
- Carey, O'Donoghue Recalled to Portland - Atlanta Gladiators
- Stingrays Announce Opening-Round Schedule Scenarios - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Today - April 11 - ECHL
- Stingrays Game Preview: Stingrays Close Regular-Season Schedule Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mathematically eliminated Aces close Friday with victory before 5,419 fans - Alaska Aces
- Reign Drop 3-1 Decision to Aces - Ontario Reign
- 7,017 Cheer on the Condors to 6-2 Rout of Stockton in Home Finale - Bakersfield Condors
- Larocque Scores in Second Straight against Bakersfield but Team Falls - Stockton Thunder
- Thunder Close StoneWolf Casino Cup Series with SO Loss - Wichita Thunder
- Royals Drop Third Straight One-Goal Decision, 3-2 to Indy - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Clinch Playoffs with 3-2 Overtime Win in Colorado - Utah Grizzlies
- Jackals Fall in Final Road Game, 3-1 - Elmira Jackals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reading Royals Stories
- Reading Royals Announce Royals20for20 Small Business Stimulus Campaign
- Reading Royals Introduce FanSaves App to Connect Their Fans and Sponsors
- Reading Royals and Met-Ed Announce Joint Volunteer & Community Engagement Initiatives for 2020-2021
- Reading Royals Youth Hockey Association Announces Upcoming Clinics and Hockey Camps for Summer 2021
- ECHL's North Division Enacts COVID Voluntary Suspension and Plans 2021-22 Return