Thunder Close StoneWolf Casino Cup Series with SO Loss
Wichita, KS - Wichita (32-30-2-7) had one last chance to beat their longtime rivals on Friday night, but fell to Tulsa (37-29-2-3) in a shootout by the final score of 2-1 at INTRUST Bank Arena. Kevin Carr and Tim Boron combined for 71 saves while only giving up one goal a-piece in the second period. The Thunder close the regular season series with a record of 2-7-1-4 against the Oilers in the StoneWolf Casino Cup Series.
After a scoreless first period, Wichita took advantage of its second five-on-three power play of the contest. Justin Mansfield was whistled for hooking and was joined in the sin bin by Drew Fisher shortly after as the Bemidji State product was called for slashing. Ian Lowe capitalized at 8:41, which came right after Mansfield came back onto the ice, and made it 1-0. The Oilers didn't take long to pull even as Dave Pszenyczny caught a pass from behind the net from Adam Pleskach and he beat Boron for his 10th of the season.
The Thunder outshot the Oilers 16-8 in the third period, 6-1 in the overtime session, but couldn't solve the rookie netminder. He made several key saves down the stretch including one on Michael Trebish, who was coming up the left wing and from a sharp angle stopped the wrist shot.
Scott Macaulay scored the only goal in the shootout in the top of round two, tapping his stick on the ice and firing a shot past Boron's blocker. Carr stopped all five shooters and improved to 12-2-0-0 against the Thunder this season.
Wichita fired 40+ shots on net for the second game in a row. The Thunder finish the season 0-5 in games against Tulsa that headed past 60 minutes. It was the first time in the season-series that the two teams played into overtime since November 30th. Lowe reaches the 20-goal plateau for the second time in his four-year career and move into a fourth-place tie in power play goals (11). Boron suffered the shootout loss, stopping 29 of 30 shots. Carr claimed the victory, stopping 42 of 43 shots he faced.
Wichita was 1-for-6 on the man advantage. Tulsa went 0-for-5 on the power play.
Wichita closes out its inaugural season in the ECHL tomorrow night against the Allen Americans starting at 7:05 p.m. Tomorrow night is Fandemonium, Team Photo Night and the annual Alumni Game. Doors to the arena open at 5 p.m. with the opening face-off of the Thunder alumni against the Wichita Junior Thunder starting at 5:15 p.m. Tickets for the Thunder game will get you into both games. Fans can get great prizes throughout the game that have been donated from our partners. Before the game tomorrow, the Thunder team awards will be announced. Team MVP, Defenseman of the Year and Unsung Hero are just a few of the awards that are handed out on an annual basis.
Individual tickets are on sale now. Don't delay! Tickets can be purchased at the INTRUST Arena Box office, by calling 755-SEAT or go online at www.selectaseat.com. Stay up-to-date on all the news during the season by visiting www.wichitathunder.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 11, 2015
- Grizzlies Close Regular Season with 5-2 Win in Colorado - Utah Grizzlies
- Everblades Close Regular Season with 5-4 Victory over Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Warriors Win Fourth Straight in Season Finale - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Flath's Two Not Enough in 5-2 Loss to Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Fall to Mallards in OT, Settle for Fourth Spot in Central Division - Tulsa Oilers
- K-Wings Announce 2014-15 Team Awards during Fan Appreciation Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- K-Wings Hook Walleye - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mallards Win Regular Season Finale 2-1 in Overtime, Will Face Rapid City in Opening Round of Playoff - Quad City Mallards
- K-Wings to Meet Komets in the Playoffs - Kalamazoo Wings
- Stingrays and Royals Clash in the Opening Round of the 2015 Kelly Cup Playoffs - South Carolina Stingrays
- Playoffs Set - Rapid City Rush
- Stingrays Set ECHL Record with Shutout over Evansville - South Carolina Stingrays
- Fuel's Season Ends with 2-1 Shootout Loss to Royals - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Close Season with 3-2 Shootout Defeat in Fort Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- 2014-15 IceMen Season Screeches to a Stop in South Carolina - Evansville IceMen
- Beast Shutout Mavericks in Overtime Thriller - Brampton Beast
- Mavericks Edged 1-0 by Beast in Overtime - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mallards Win Regular Season Finale, Will Face Rapid City in Opening Round of Playoffs - Quad City Mallards
- Nailers Clinch Playoffs with 5-3 Win in Elmira - Wheeling Nailers
- Toledo Stopped by Kalamazoo 4-1 - Toledo Walleye
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Countdown to Face-Off: Kalamazoo Wings vs Toledo Walleye - Kalamazoo Wings
- Former Aces Defenseman John Ramage Makes NHL Debut - Alaska Aces
- ECHL Transactions - April 11 - ECHL
- Royals Defenseman Bryant Molle Loaned to Syracuse Crunch - Reading Royals
- Nailers at Jackals Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Preview - Ontario Reign at Alaska Aces - Ontario Reign
- Thunder Close First Season in ECHL with Fandemonium - Wichita Thunder
- Jackals Hold Fan Appreciation Night to Conclude 2014-15 Season - Elmira Jackals
- Final Thunder Home Game at Stockton Arena at 7:30 p.m. - Stockton Thunder
- Gladiators Game Preview: Gladiators at Road Warriors - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati at Fort Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Grizzlies Announce First Round Playoff Schedule - Utah Grizzlies
- Carey, O'Donoghue Recalled to Portland - Atlanta Gladiators
- Stingrays Announce Opening-Round Schedule Scenarios - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Today - April 11 - ECHL
- Stingrays Game Preview: Stingrays Close Regular-Season Schedule Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mathematically eliminated Aces close Friday with victory before 5,419 fans - Alaska Aces
- Reign Drop 3-1 Decision to Aces - Ontario Reign
- 7,017 Cheer on the Condors to 6-2 Rout of Stockton in Home Finale - Bakersfield Condors
- Larocque Scores in Second Straight against Bakersfield but Team Falls - Stockton Thunder
- Thunder Close StoneWolf Casino Cup Series with SO Loss - Wichita Thunder
- Royals Drop Third Straight One-Goal Decision, 3-2 to Indy - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Clinch Playoffs with 3-2 Overtime Win in Colorado - Utah Grizzlies
- Jackals Fall in Final Road Game, 3-1 - Elmira Jackals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.