Beast Shutout Mavericks in Overtime Thriller
BRAMPTON, ON- As Mathew Maione glided over the Missouri Mavericks blue line three minutes into overtime, he saw a streaking Jeff Brown and knew exactly what to do. Maione hit Brown in stride and the University of Toronto product wired a slap shot top shelf to propel the Beast to a 1-0 victory over the Mavericks on Cancer Awareness Day at the Powerade Centre.
Brown led the Beast with his fourth goal of the season, while Maione increased his lead in the rookie defence scoring race with an assist on the play. Ryan DeMelo was beyond sensational in the Beast net, making 25 saves for his first professional shut out.
The day started with the Beast's inaugural Stick it to Cancer Walk, which helped generate awareness and funds towards cancer research. Fans and community members alike were given the opportunity to sign up as an individual or a team to take part in the walk, with all participants given a Beast 'Stick it to Cancer' t-shirt to commemorate the experience. After the walk, the Beast hosted a tailgate party that was open to the public, which included a barbeque, refreshments, and a chance to mingle with members of the community. With the help of their terrific fans, players and caring community members, the Beast were able to raise $4100 for the terrific cause.
Directly following the game, those in attendance were invited to paint the Powerade Centre's ice surface. The Beast recognize that almost everyone is or has been affected by the illness in some capacity and encouraged fans to write the name of a loved one or create an inspiring message or picture to offer support to those in need.
First period action was eerily similar to last night's contest, with both teams trading offensive chances and refusing to let up on an opportunity to finish a body check; the only difference this time was that no pucks were put into the back of the net. The best chance of the period went to the Mavericks in the dying seconds of the frame, when Tyler Currier was robbed on a partial break by the pad of DeMelo with only two seconds left on the clock.
The second period didn't see any goals scored but a plethora of chances for both sides. The teams were at each other's throats, and with four minutes remaining in the frame, the Mavericks' Kain Allicock took a 10-minute misconduct after letting his frustrations boil over. The Beast stormed into the Missouri zone with less than 30 seconds left in the frame and produced the period's best chance. Jason Pitton found Bobby Hughes in the slot and Hughes wired a point-blank one-timer on goal but was robbed by the right pad of Mike Clemente.
Five minutes and 40 seconds into the third frame, Matt McCready took exception to a little bit of extra curricular physical action and dropped the gloves with Colten Hayes to spark both benches. From there, frustrations took over and the rough stuff took off. Within a minute of the initial fight, two players took offsetting minor penalties, while three players were slapped with 10-minute misconducts after reaching their boiling point. With 30 seconds left in the period, Jason Dale broke into the Mavericks' zone with speed but rang his wrist shot off the left post to push the game into overtime.
The Beast suit up for the final game of the season tomorrow on Jersey Off Our Backs Day, where Beast players will be giving their jerseys to winning fans in attendance following the game. Sunday will also be the Beast's last team skate of the year, where fans have the chance to lace up and hit the ice with the Beast after their game. For more information or tickets please visit www.bramptonbeast.com or call 905 564 1684.
Images from this story
Brampton Beast vs. Missouri Mavericks
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 11, 2015
- Grizzlies Close Regular Season with 5-2 Win in Colorado - Utah Grizzlies
- Everblades Close Regular Season with 5-4 Victory over Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Warriors Win Fourth Straight in Season Finale - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Flath's Two Not Enough in 5-2 Loss to Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Fall to Mallards in OT, Settle for Fourth Spot in Central Division - Tulsa Oilers
- K-Wings Announce 2014-15 Team Awards during Fan Appreciation Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- K-Wings Hook Walleye - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mallards Win Regular Season Finale 2-1 in Overtime, Will Face Rapid City in Opening Round of Playoff - Quad City Mallards
- K-Wings to Meet Komets in the Playoffs - Kalamazoo Wings
- Stingrays and Royals Clash in the Opening Round of the 2015 Kelly Cup Playoffs - South Carolina Stingrays
- Playoffs Set - Rapid City Rush
- Stingrays Set ECHL Record with Shutout over Evansville - South Carolina Stingrays
- Fuel's Season Ends with 2-1 Shootout Loss to Royals - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Close Season with 3-2 Shootout Defeat in Fort Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- 2014-15 IceMen Season Screeches to a Stop in South Carolina - Evansville IceMen
- Beast Shutout Mavericks in Overtime Thriller - Brampton Beast
- Mavericks Edged 1-0 by Beast in Overtime - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mallards Win Regular Season Finale, Will Face Rapid City in Opening Round of Playoffs - Quad City Mallards
- Nailers Clinch Playoffs with 5-3 Win in Elmira - Wheeling Nailers
- Toledo Stopped by Kalamazoo 4-1 - Toledo Walleye
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Countdown to Face-Off: Kalamazoo Wings vs Toledo Walleye - Kalamazoo Wings
- Former Aces Defenseman John Ramage Makes NHL Debut - Alaska Aces
- ECHL Transactions - April 11 - ECHL
- Royals Defenseman Bryant Molle Loaned to Syracuse Crunch - Reading Royals
- Nailers at Jackals Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Preview - Ontario Reign at Alaska Aces - Ontario Reign
- Thunder Close First Season in ECHL with Fandemonium - Wichita Thunder
- Jackals Hold Fan Appreciation Night to Conclude 2014-15 Season - Elmira Jackals
- Final Thunder Home Game at Stockton Arena at 7:30 p.m. - Stockton Thunder
- Gladiators Game Preview: Gladiators at Road Warriors - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati at Fort Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Grizzlies Announce First Round Playoff Schedule - Utah Grizzlies
- Carey, O'Donoghue Recalled to Portland - Atlanta Gladiators
- Stingrays Announce Opening-Round Schedule Scenarios - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Today - April 11 - ECHL
- Stingrays Game Preview: Stingrays Close Regular-Season Schedule Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mathematically eliminated Aces close Friday with victory before 5,419 fans - Alaska Aces
- Reign Drop 3-1 Decision to Aces - Ontario Reign
- 7,017 Cheer on the Condors to 6-2 Rout of Stockton in Home Finale - Bakersfield Condors
- Larocque Scores in Second Straight against Bakersfield but Team Falls - Stockton Thunder
- Thunder Close StoneWolf Casino Cup Series with SO Loss - Wichita Thunder
- Royals Drop Third Straight One-Goal Decision, 3-2 to Indy - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Clinch Playoffs with 3-2 Overtime Win in Colorado - Utah Grizzlies
- Jackals Fall in Final Road Game, 3-1 - Elmira Jackals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.