Four Unanswered Powers K-Wings Past Fuel
Kalamazoo, MI - Four straight goals, including three in the third period helped the K-Wings claim their fourth straight victory on Saturday night as they topped the Fuel 6-4.
Justin Taylor scored an empty net goal to give the forward a goal in each of his last four games. Reid Gardiner's second period goal gives the forward four points (3g, 1a) since being reassigned to the K-Wings from Utica. Kyle Bushee (1g, 1a), Tanner Sorenson (2a) and Chris Collins (2a) all recorded multi-point games in the victory.
The K-Wings opened the scoring midway through the first period courtesy of Kyle Bushee. With traffic in front of the net, Bushee sent a shot towards the front of the cage the deflected off the defenseman and past Kevin Lankinen, putting the K-Wings up 1-0. Late in the opening frame Indy knotted the game up thanks to the efforts of Matthew Thompson. The Fuel rookie's third goal of the season tied the game as the first period ended.
In the middle frame the Fuel scored back-to-back goals, taking a 3-1 lead midway through the period. Shortly after the third Fuel goal, Reid Gardiner got the K-Wings back on the board and within one. Spinning around in front of the net, Gardiner found a loose puck and shuffled it past the goaltender for his fifth goal of the season.
Trailing by one at the start of the final period the K-Wing offense didn't take long to get in gear. Brendan Bradley entered the zone on a two-on-one, cut towards the middle of the ice and picked his corner, tying the game at 3-3 just 1:36 into the third. Just over two minutes later the K-Wings power play would strike to retake the lead. On the doorstep Zach Saar hammered home a rebound, getting the Kalamazoo power play on the board for the third straight game, and getting the K-Wings the 4-3 lead. Late in the period Justin Taylor would add an empty net tally to push the score to 5-3.
Kalamazoo skated away with their fourth straight victory as the final horn sounded. Ivan Kulbakov, winning his third straight start, stopped 24 of 27 shots for the K-Wings. Kevin Lankinen stopped 33 of 37 shots in a losing cause. Kalamazoo finished the night 1-for-5 on the man-advantage, while the Fuel were scoreless on two chances.
Kalamazoo (8-10-0-1) now sits three points behind the Fuel for fourth place in the Central Division.
The K-Wings are back in action tomorrow night as they host the Tulsa Oilers on Teddy Toss Night.
Kalamazoo Wings single game and half season tickets are available now! More information can be gathered at www.kwings.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 7, 2018
- Bourke, Shaw Power Solar Bears Past Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Swamp Rabbits Fire Shot Barrage, Fall Short in Florida - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mavs Open Weekend Set with 6-2 Rout - Kansas City Mavericks
- Third Period Push Leads K-Wings to Victory over the Fuel - Indy Fuel
- In Back and Forth Affair, Mariners Top Thunder in Shootout - Maine Mariners
- Four Unanswered Powers K-Wings Past Fuel - Kalamazoo Wings
- Milner Stops 32 Shots to Hold off IceMen in SC Victory - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gladiators Outshoot Orlando 36-17 But Fall 5-4 on Home Ice - Atlanta Gladiators
- Admirals Fall to Monarchs in Physical Contest - Norfolk Admirals
- Comeback Falls Short in Charleston - Jacksonville IceMen
- Edwardh's Late Goal Gives Adirondack a Point in Portland - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Skate Past Admirals, 5-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Wheeling's Comeback Falls One Goal Short - Wheeling Nailers
- Walleye Battle Back to Beat Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Worcester Continues the Climb up North Division Standings After 3-1 Home Win over the Beast - Worcester Railers HC
- Huntebrinker's Hat Trick Hammers Growlers, 7-5 - Reading Royals
- Wichita Selected to Host 2020 ECHL All-Star Classic - Wichita Thunder
- Ernst Earns AHL Call-Up - Kansas City Mavericks
- ECHL Transactions - December 7 - ECHL
- Wichita Selected as Host of 2020 ECHL All-Star Classic - ECHL
- Cyclones Make Trio of Moves - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Mingo Returns from Moose - Jacksonville IceMen
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Helvig Reassigned to AHL's Charlotte Checkers - Florida Everblades
- Preview: Everblades Meet Swamp Rabbits for First Time this Season - Florida Everblades
- Game Preview: Monarchs at Admirals, December 7, 2018 - Norfolk Admirals
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Nailers vs. Komets Game Day Snap Shot, December 7 - Wheeling Nailers
- Alex Adams Returns - Maine Mariners
- Game Day Report: Mavericks Face Americans Friday - Kansas City Mavericks
- Game Day: Busy Weekend Kicks off against Fuel - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Make First Trip to Newfoundland - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.