Huntebrinker's Hat Trick Hammers Growlers, 7-5
St. John's, NL - Michael Huntebrinker completed a hat trick at 7:38 of the third period and tied a career high with four points, slamming the Newfoundland Growlers, 7-5, Friday at Mile One Centre. Huntebrinker is the sixth Royals player to record multiple hat tricks.
The second-year forward provided the Royals the lead for good with his second of the game in the final three minutes of the middle period. It was Reading's fourth lead of the game. Huntebrinker then potted the hat trick goal, shooting it at the slot off a Newfoundland defender and in at the right post to provide Reading a 6-4 advantage.
The Growlers fought back to tie the contest three times.
Alex Krushelnyski (1g, 2a), Josh MacDonald (1g, 2a) and Nick Luukko (2a) poured in multi-point games.
Reading held a pair of leads in the first period, but Newfoundland responded twice to tie and took a 3-2 edge after one. Reading's Scott Dornbrock scored his first professional goal and Huntebrinker tallied at even strength, his fifth straight game with a goal.
Callum Booth moved to 2-0-0-0 with Reading, blocking 26 shots. Michael Garteig allowed seven goals on 26 shots.
The Royals and Growlers rematch on Sat., Dec. 8 at 5:30 p.m. EST.
Reading returns home to host the Allen Americans for the Weekend of Giving Fri., Dec. 14 - Sun., Dec. 16. The Weekend of Giving features games at Santander Arena on three straight days, pres. by the Salvation Army and Met-Ed.
The Weekend of Giving features a clothing drive, toy drive and food drive, plus the team's annual Teddy Bear Toss Sat., Dec. 15 at 7:00 p.m.
with all proceeds on $5 tickets going back to the local Salvation Army on Community Night. The money raised and good donated with stay locally in Reading and Berks County.
Reading's Dornbrock started the scoring with a 5-on-3 power-play goal at 3:58 of the first. Krushelnyski tossed it from the right goal line to Dornbrock at the slot. He took two quick strides and unleashed a slot shot that beat Garteig halfway up the left post.
With 10:36 left in the first, Ryan Moore tied it after a tricky bounce fooled Booth. Moore nubbed it over Booth's left shoulder. Huntebrinker responded 1:03 later, restoring Reading's lead, 2-1. Josh MacDonald drove the right circle and fed in front to Huntebrinker for his eighth goal and 20th point of the season. Growlers forward J.J. Piccinich (PPG, 12:00 | 16:16) scored the next two goals to give Newfoundland a 3-2 lead by the end of the first period.
In the second period, Krushelnyski (3:31) and Adam Schmidt (6:04) scored early to give Reading the edge back, 4-3. First, Krushelnyski saw linemate Steven Swavely tip the puck to him off the face-off. Patiently, Krushelnyski drove the slot and back handed it over Garteig's outstretched arm. Schmidt flew by the defender marking him up the right wing. With a burst of speed, the fifth-year professional netted his fifth of the season.
Sam Babintsev tied the contest at four with 8:16 left before Huntebrinker restored Reading's edge, 5-4.
Huntebrinker and MacDonald factored in on the Royals strikes in the third. MacDonald's insurance goal came with 10:33 remaining. He struck one minute after Josh Kestner scored for Newfoundland to pull the Growlers within one, 6-5. MacDonald walked in to the puck at the left circle and bombed a slap shot past Garteig at the left post. Huntebrinker assisted with a feed from the left-wing half wall.
Need to Know: Weekend of Giving events vs. Allen Americans
Fri., Dec. 14 at 7:00 p.m.: Clothing Drive, 4-for-48 Family Pack (4 tickets, 4 burgers, 4 sodas for $48)
Sat., Dec. 15 at 7:00 p.m.: Community Night with $5 tickets (all proceeds to Salvation Army), Teddy Bear Toss, Food Drive, Holiday Ornament Giveaway to the first 2,000 fans, Royals will wear Ugly Christmas Sweater jerseys
Sun., Dec. 16 at 5:00 p.m.: Toy Drive at Santander Arena, plus have a personal meet-and-greet with SpongeBob SquarePants with the Royals SpongeBob VIP Package as he visits Santander Arena. The Royals will wear SpongeBob jerseys and Allen will wear Patrick Star jerseys.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 7, 2018
- Bourke, Shaw Power Solar Bears Past Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Swamp Rabbits Fire Shot Barrage, Fall Short in Florida - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mavs Open Weekend Set with 6-2 Rout - Kansas City Mavericks
- Third Period Push Leads K-Wings to Victory over the Fuel - Indy Fuel
- In Back and Forth Affair, Mariners Top Thunder in Shootout - Maine Mariners
- Four Unanswered Powers K-Wings Past Fuel - Kalamazoo Wings
- Milner Stops 32 Shots to Hold off IceMen in SC Victory - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gladiators Outshoot Orlando 36-17 But Fall 5-4 on Home Ice - Atlanta Gladiators
- Admirals Fall to Monarchs in Physical Contest - Norfolk Admirals
- Comeback Falls Short in Charleston - Jacksonville IceMen
- Edwardh's Late Goal Gives Adirondack a Point in Portland - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Skate Past Admirals, 5-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Wheeling's Comeback Falls One Goal Short - Wheeling Nailers
- Walleye Battle Back to Beat Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Worcester Continues the Climb up North Division Standings After 3-1 Home Win over the Beast - Worcester Railers HC
- Huntebrinker's Hat Trick Hammers Growlers, 7-5 - Reading Royals
- Wichita Selected to Host 2020 ECHL All-Star Classic - Wichita Thunder
- Ernst Earns AHL Call-Up - Kansas City Mavericks
- ECHL Transactions - December 7 - ECHL
- Wichita Selected as Host of 2020 ECHL All-Star Classic - ECHL
- Cyclones Make Trio of Moves - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Mingo Returns from Moose - Jacksonville IceMen
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Helvig Reassigned to AHL's Charlotte Checkers - Florida Everblades
- Preview: Everblades Meet Swamp Rabbits for First Time this Season - Florida Everblades
- Game Preview: Monarchs at Admirals, December 7, 2018 - Norfolk Admirals
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Nailers vs. Komets Game Day Snap Shot, December 7 - Wheeling Nailers
- Alex Adams Returns - Maine Mariners
- Game Day Report: Mavericks Face Americans Friday - Kansas City Mavericks
- Game Day: Busy Weekend Kicks off against Fuel - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Make First Trip to Newfoundland - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reading Royals Stories
- ECHL's North Division Enacts COVID Voluntary Suspension and Plans 2021-22 Return
- Royals Make Important Signing in Talented, Two-Way Forward Scarfo
- Suter Agrees to ECHL Deal, Royals Forward Group Coming into Focus
- ECHL Confirms Start Date for 2020-21 Season
- Reading Puts Final Touches on Deal with G Ruck