Mavs Open Weekend Set with 6-2 Rout
INDEPENDENCE, Mo. - The Kansas City Mavericks (13-5-1-1) dominated Friday night's meeting with Allen (6-17-0-2) to the tune of a 6-2 final at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena.
Five Mavericks registered multi-point efforts in the contest, highlighted by four from captain Rocco Carzo in the rout.
After a scoreless first that saw the Mavericks penalized four times, the home team took control of the game midway through the second with three goals over a four-minute span, the first two coming just 28 seconds apart.
First it was David Dziurzynski lighting the lamp with a goal from the side of the cage on a loose puck, followed in quick succession by Cliff Watson's third of the season. After a Mavericks power play, Rocco Carzo came in alone on Jeremy Brodeur and finding the back of the net for a commanding 3-0 lead.
Watson then deposited his second of the game and fourth of the season at 17:22 of the frame to build the lead to four, a short-lived lead as Allen got one back from Zach Pochiro less than two minutes later to produce a 4-1 score into the intermission.
Kansas City came out firing in the final frame, lighting the lamp twice in the first 3:12, scoring 1:08 apart as Willie Raskob registered his first goal as a Maverick and David Dziurzynski found twine for the second time on the night, and the scoring was capped by Mike Gunn's first of the season for the 6-2 final.
The Mavericks and Americans battle once again Saturday, a 7:05 p.m. puck drop and Star Wars Night.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 7, 2018
- Bourke, Shaw Power Solar Bears Past Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Swamp Rabbits Fire Shot Barrage, Fall Short in Florida - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mavs Open Weekend Set with 6-2 Rout - Kansas City Mavericks
- Third Period Push Leads K-Wings to Victory over the Fuel - Indy Fuel
- In Back and Forth Affair, Mariners Top Thunder in Shootout - Maine Mariners
- Four Unanswered Powers K-Wings Past Fuel - Kalamazoo Wings
- Milner Stops 32 Shots to Hold off IceMen in SC Victory - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gladiators Outshoot Orlando 36-17 But Fall 5-4 on Home Ice - Atlanta Gladiators
- Admirals Fall to Monarchs in Physical Contest - Norfolk Admirals
- Comeback Falls Short in Charleston - Jacksonville IceMen
- Edwardh's Late Goal Gives Adirondack a Point in Portland - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Skate Past Admirals, 5-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Wheeling's Comeback Falls One Goal Short - Wheeling Nailers
- Walleye Battle Back to Beat Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Worcester Continues the Climb up North Division Standings After 3-1 Home Win over the Beast - Worcester Railers HC
- Huntebrinker's Hat Trick Hammers Growlers, 7-5 - Reading Royals
- Wichita Selected to Host 2020 ECHL All-Star Classic - Wichita Thunder
- Ernst Earns AHL Call-Up - Kansas City Mavericks
- ECHL Transactions - December 7 - ECHL
- Wichita Selected as Host of 2020 ECHL All-Star Classic - ECHL
- Cyclones Make Trio of Moves - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Mingo Returns from Moose - Jacksonville IceMen
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Helvig Reassigned to AHL's Charlotte Checkers - Florida Everblades
- Preview: Everblades Meet Swamp Rabbits for First Time this Season - Florida Everblades
- Game Preview: Monarchs at Admirals, December 7, 2018 - Norfolk Admirals
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Nailers vs. Komets Game Day Snap Shot, December 7 - Wheeling Nailers
- Alex Adams Returns - Maine Mariners
- Game Day Report: Mavericks Face Americans Friday - Kansas City Mavericks
- Game Day: Busy Weekend Kicks off against Fuel - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Make First Trip to Newfoundland - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.