Mavs Open Weekend Set with 6-2 Rout
INDEPENDENCE, Mo. - The Kansas City Mavericks (13-5-1-1) dominated Friday night's meeting with Allen (6-17-0-2) to the tune of a 6-2 final at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena.
Five Mavericks registered multi-point efforts in the contest, highlighted by four from captain Rocco Carzo in the rout.
After a scoreless first that saw the Mavericks penalized four times, the home team took control of the game midway through the second with three goals over a four-minute span, the first two coming just 28 seconds apart.
First it was David Dziurzynski lighting the lamp with a goal from the side of the cage on a loose puck, followed in quick succession by Cliff Watson's third of the season. After a Mavericks power play, Rocco Carzo came in alone on Jeremy Brodeur and finding the back of the net for a commanding 3-0 lead.
Watson then deposited his second of the game and fourth of the season at 17:22 of the frame to build the lead to four, a short-lived lead as Allen got one back from Zach Pochiro less than two minutes later to produce a 4-1 score into the intermission.
Kansas City came out firing in the final frame, lighting the lamp twice in the first 3:12, scoring 1:08 apart as Willie Raskob registered his first goal as a Maverick and David Dziurzynski found twine for the second time on the night, and the scoring was capped by Mike Gunn's first of the season for the 6-2 final.
The Mavericks and Americans battle once again Saturday, a 7:05 p.m. puck drop and Star Wars Night.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 7, 2018
- Bourke, Shaw Power Solar Bears Past Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Swamp Rabbits Fire Shot Barrage, Fall Short in Florida - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mavs Open Weekend Set with 6-2 Rout - Kansas City Mavericks
- Third Period Push Leads K-Wings to Victory over the Fuel - Indy Fuel
- In Back and Forth Affair, Mariners Top Thunder in Shootout - Maine Mariners
- Four Unanswered Powers K-Wings Past Fuel - Kalamazoo Wings
- Milner Stops 32 Shots to Hold off IceMen in SC Victory - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gladiators Outshoot Orlando 36-17 But Fall 5-4 on Home Ice - Atlanta Gladiators
- Admirals Fall to Monarchs in Physical Contest - Norfolk Admirals
- Comeback Falls Short in Charleston - Jacksonville IceMen
- Edwardh's Late Goal Gives Adirondack a Point in Portland - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Skate Past Admirals, 5-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Wheeling's Comeback Falls One Goal Short - Wheeling Nailers
- Walleye Battle Back to Beat Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Worcester Continues the Climb up North Division Standings After 3-1 Home Win over the Beast - Worcester Railers HC
- Huntebrinker's Hat Trick Hammers Growlers, 7-5 - Reading Royals
- Wichita Selected to Host 2020 ECHL All-Star Classic - Wichita Thunder
- Ernst Earns AHL Call-Up - Kansas City Mavericks
- ECHL Transactions - December 7 - ECHL
- Wichita Selected as Host of 2020 ECHL All-Star Classic - ECHL
- Cyclones Make Trio of Moves - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Mingo Returns from Moose - Jacksonville IceMen
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Helvig Reassigned to AHL's Charlotte Checkers - Florida Everblades
- Preview: Everblades Meet Swamp Rabbits for First Time this Season - Florida Everblades
- Game Preview: Monarchs at Admirals, December 7, 2018 - Norfolk Admirals
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Nailers vs. Komets Game Day Snap Shot, December 7 - Wheeling Nailers
- Alex Adams Returns - Maine Mariners
- Game Day Report: Mavericks Face Americans Friday - Kansas City Mavericks
- Game Day: Busy Weekend Kicks off against Fuel - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Make First Trip to Newfoundland - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- Mavericks Announce 2020 Mac Awards Recipients
- ECHL Cancels Remainder of 2020-21 Season
- Mavs Weekly: Mavs Welcome Nearly 15,000 Fans over Weekend
- Mavs Defeated by Wichita Saturday Night, 4-1
- Mavs Furious Third Period Comeback Yields Standings Point, But KC Falls 5-4 in Overtime