Walleye Battle Back to Beat Oilers
TOLEDO, OH - The Tulsa Oilers (13-5-4) saw a 3-1 lead disappear Friday, as they fell 6-4 to the Toledo Walleye (15-3-2) at the Huntington Center in the Oilers opener to a six-game road trip.
The Walleye broke a scoreless deadlock at 11:33 of the first period when Greg Wolfe collected a carom off of the end boards and stuffed it past Evan Fitzpatrick. Tulsa answered when Steven Kaunisto sailed a shot over the glove of Kaden Fulcher and into the top corner of the net nearly three minutes later. Anthony McVeigh fired home his first ECHL goal with 3:34 left in the frame and Tyler Soy made a spectacular move on a breakaway in the final minute to make it 3-1 by the end of the opening frame.
Toledo cut its deficit to one when Jordan Topping threw a shot off of a skate that trickled into the net. But Soy answered with his second goal of the game, a wrist shot from the right circle over Fulcher's blocker to make it 4-2. The Walleye kept it close when Matt Register sent a wrist shot from the point under Fitzpatrick's glove. Toledo had four second period power plays, and Register tied the score at 4-4 on the last of those power plays with a shot from the point late in the middle stanza.
A fluky bounce off of traffic in front of Fitzpatrick's net led to Toledo's game-winning goal, as the puck ricocheted off the body of Daniel Leavens and bounced up in the air, before falling in behind the Oilers' goaltender. Brian Moore added an empty-net goal in the final minute to seal the Walleye win.
The Oilers face the Kalamazoo Wings Saturday night at the Wings Event Center at 6:35pm CT, before closing the weekend in Fort Wayne with a matchup against the Komets at 4:00pm CT at Memorial Coliseum.
Season and Group Tickets are on sale now by calling the Oilers front office at 918-632-7825. Visit www.tulsaoilers.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 7, 2018
- Bourke, Shaw Power Solar Bears Past Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Swamp Rabbits Fire Shot Barrage, Fall Short in Florida - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mavs Open Weekend Set with 6-2 Rout - Kansas City Mavericks
- Third Period Push Leads K-Wings to Victory over the Fuel - Indy Fuel
- In Back and Forth Affair, Mariners Top Thunder in Shootout - Maine Mariners
- Four Unanswered Powers K-Wings Past Fuel - Kalamazoo Wings
- Milner Stops 32 Shots to Hold off IceMen in SC Victory - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gladiators Outshoot Orlando 36-17 But Fall 5-4 on Home Ice - Atlanta Gladiators
- Admirals Fall to Monarchs in Physical Contest - Norfolk Admirals
- Comeback Falls Short in Charleston - Jacksonville IceMen
- Edwardh's Late Goal Gives Adirondack a Point in Portland - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Skate Past Admirals, 5-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Wheeling's Comeback Falls One Goal Short - Wheeling Nailers
- Walleye Battle Back to Beat Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Worcester Continues the Climb up North Division Standings After 3-1 Home Win over the Beast - Worcester Railers HC
- Huntebrinker's Hat Trick Hammers Growlers, 7-5 - Reading Royals
- Wichita Selected to Host 2020 ECHL All-Star Classic - Wichita Thunder
- Ernst Earns AHL Call-Up - Kansas City Mavericks
- ECHL Transactions - December 7 - ECHL
- Wichita Selected as Host of 2020 ECHL All-Star Classic - ECHL
- Cyclones Make Trio of Moves - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Mingo Returns from Moose - Jacksonville IceMen
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Helvig Reassigned to AHL's Charlotte Checkers - Florida Everblades
- Preview: Everblades Meet Swamp Rabbits for First Time this Season - Florida Everblades
- Game Preview: Monarchs at Admirals, December 7, 2018 - Norfolk Admirals
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Nailers vs. Komets Game Day Snap Shot, December 7 - Wheeling Nailers
- Alex Adams Returns - Maine Mariners
- Game Day Report: Mavericks Face Americans Friday - Kansas City Mavericks
- Game Day: Busy Weekend Kicks off against Fuel - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Make First Trip to Newfoundland - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tulsa Oilers Stories
- Oilers Receive Pair from San Diego
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - February 24
- Oilers Sink Americans at Allen Event Center Thanks to Great Second Period
- Oilers Fall to Americans for Fifth Time this Season
- Devin Williams Named Warrior Hockey ECHL Goaltender of the Week for Third Time