Bourke, Shaw Power Solar Bears Past Gladiators
DULUTH, Ga. - Troy Bourke and Brady Shaw enjoyed three-point nights and Cody Donaghey buried the game-winning goal in the third period to lift the Orlando Solar Bears (11-8-2-0) to a 5-4 victory over the Atlanta Gladiators (5-11-3-0) on Friday night at Infinite Energy Arena.
The Solar Bears struck first just 1:48 into the game when Jonne Tammela's shot pinballed off the end boards to the left side of the net, where Troy Bourke backhanded the puck off the skates of a Gladiators defender and past Miroslav Svoboda for his fifth goal of the season to give Orlando a 1-0 lead.
Tanner Pond tied the score at 1-1 with a shorthanded tally that beat Corbin Boes at 10:06.
Derek Nesbitt scored at 4:20 of the second period to give Atlanta a 2-1 lead with a snapshot off the rush that found its way into the upper-left corner of the net.
Mathieu Foget tied the game for Orlando with a shorthanded marker at 11:47, as he stickhandled through an Atlanta skater's legs and buried a shot past Svoboda to make it 2-2.
The Solar Bears pulled ahead 3-2 when Troy Bourke sent a pass to Brady Shaw just as Shaw exited the penalty box. Shaw hustled into the offensive zone before drilling a slapshot inside the far post from the left circle at 12:36 for his team-leading 13th goal of the season and his fourth goal in as many games.
Shaw returned the favor to Bourke minutes later, as the pair weaved into the offensive zone and Shaw flipped a pass behind the Atlanta defense, allowing Bourke to skate in and tuck the puck past Svoboda at 15:30.
Pond netted a power-play goal at 19:38 to pull the Gladiators back to within a goal heading into the second intermission.
In the third period Otto Somppi set up Donaghey for the eventual game-winner with a pass from the right corner and Donaghey fired a shot past a screened Svoboda at 12:55 to make it 5-3.
Atlanta attempted to mount a late comeback after Brett McKenzie scored with five minutes remaining, but the Solar Bears defense provided some critical blocks and Boes held firm in goal to secure the victory.
Boes picked up the win with 32 saves on 36 shots against; Svoboda took the loss with 12 stops on 17 shots against.
Shaw led the Solar Bears with four shots on goal. The forward now has a four-game point streak (4g-3a).
Tammela finished the night with two assists, and now has a four-game point streak (2g-5a).
Orlando's 17 shots on goal were the fewest recorded by the team in a single game this season.
1) Corbin Boes - ORL
2) Troy Bourke - ORL
3) Tanner Pond - ATL
NEXT GAME: The Solar Bears return home to host the Greenville Swamp Rabbits for the first time this season on Sunday, Dec. 9 at 1:30 p.m. at the ARS.com Rink at Amway Center for a FAIRWINDS Solar Bears Sunday. The first 100 FAIRWINDS members who show their FAIRWINDS debit or credit card and photo ID at the box office will receive a free pair of tickets to that day's game. Once the first 100 pairs are claimed, FAIRWINDS members can still take advantage of a buy-one-get-one offer for the game. For more information, visit fairwinds.org/solarbears. CLICK HERE to purchase tickets.
Teddy Bear Toss, Presented by Jewett Orthopaedic Clinic:
The Solar Bears will host their annual Teddy Bear Toss, presented by Jewett Orthopaedic Clinic, against the Florida Everblades on Friday, Dec. 21 at 7 p.m. at the ARS.com Rink at Amway Center. The team is currently offering a Buy-One-Donate-One offer to groups of 15 or more attending the Teddy Bear Toss game. For more information, visit orlandosolarbearshockey.com/bodo.
2018-19 Season Presented by XYMOPrint:
The Orlando Solar Bears are proud to have local digital printing experts XYMOPrint as the presenting sponsor of the 2018-19 season. As a special offer, fans who call XYMOPrint at (888) 223-9390 from now until June 15, 2019 and reference the Solar Bears will receive 30% off their first order of 500 business cards.
2018-19 Single-Game Tickets Now on Sale:
Single-game tickets for the Orlando Solar Bears 2018-19 regular season home schedule are now on sale. Fans can purchase single-game tickets for as little as $15 at the Amway Center box office, or online at Ticketmaster.com.
2018-19 Season Ticket Memberships:
Season Ticket Memberships for the seventh season of ECHL Orlando Solar Bears hockey are now on sale. Full and Half-Season memberships are both available, starting as low as $270. For more information, call (407) 951-8200 or visit orlandosolarbearshockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 7, 2018
- Bourke, Shaw Power Solar Bears Past Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Swamp Rabbits Fire Shot Barrage, Fall Short in Florida - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mavs Open Weekend Set with 6-2 Rout - Kansas City Mavericks
- Third Period Push Leads K-Wings to Victory over the Fuel - Indy Fuel
- In Back and Forth Affair, Mariners Top Thunder in Shootout - Maine Mariners
- Four Unanswered Powers K-Wings Past Fuel - Kalamazoo Wings
- Milner Stops 32 Shots to Hold off IceMen in SC Victory - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gladiators Outshoot Orlando 36-17 But Fall 5-4 on Home Ice - Atlanta Gladiators
- Admirals Fall to Monarchs in Physical Contest - Norfolk Admirals
- Comeback Falls Short in Charleston - Jacksonville IceMen
- Edwardh's Late Goal Gives Adirondack a Point in Portland - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Skate Past Admirals, 5-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Wheeling's Comeback Falls One Goal Short - Wheeling Nailers
- Walleye Battle Back to Beat Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Worcester Continues the Climb up North Division Standings After 3-1 Home Win over the Beast - Worcester Railers HC
- Huntebrinker's Hat Trick Hammers Growlers, 7-5 - Reading Royals
- Wichita Selected to Host 2020 ECHL All-Star Classic - Wichita Thunder
- Ernst Earns AHL Call-Up - Kansas City Mavericks
- ECHL Transactions - December 7 - ECHL
- Wichita Selected as Host of 2020 ECHL All-Star Classic - ECHL
- Cyclones Make Trio of Moves - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Mingo Returns from Moose - Jacksonville IceMen
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Helvig Reassigned to AHL's Charlotte Checkers - Florida Everblades
- Preview: Everblades Meet Swamp Rabbits for First Time this Season - Florida Everblades
- Game Preview: Monarchs at Admirals, December 7, 2018 - Norfolk Admirals
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Nailers vs. Komets Game Day Snap Shot, December 7 - Wheeling Nailers
- Alex Adams Returns - Maine Mariners
- Game Day Report: Mavericks Face Americans Friday - Kansas City Mavericks
- Game Day: Busy Weekend Kicks off against Fuel - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Make First Trip to Newfoundland - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando Solar Bears Stories
- Solar Bears Advance to South Division Finals with 5-2 Win over Stingrays
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays
- Otto Somppi Added to Solar Bears Playoff Roster
- Three-Goal Second Period Gives Solar Bears 4-1 Win and 3-1 Series Lead over Stingrays
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays