Cyclones Score in Each Period, Top K-Wings 4-1
Kalamazoo, MI. - Kyle Blaney got on the board in the middle frame, but it wasn't enough as the K-Wings fall 4-1 to the Cyclones on Friday night.
Reid Gardiner and Tanner Sorenson saw their career-long point streaks snapped in the loss.
Cincinnati was the only team to get on the board in the opening frame taking a 1-0 lead into the intermission. Justin Vaive sent a pass into the high slot connecting with Mike Marnell who wristed a shot low to the blocker side past Keegan Asmundson.
The lead doubled in the second period as the scoring line was reversed for the Cyclones. Marnell sent a cross-ice pass to Vaive who wristed a shot to the back of the net, giving Cincinnati a 2-0 lead. Midway through the period the K-Wings got on the board. Kyle Thomas centered a pass for Kyle Blaney, who was cutting across the slot, and tapped the puck past the goaltender, cutting the lead to 2-1.
In the third period Cincinnati pushed the lead back to two goals before adding an empty netter to round out the night 4-1. Kalamazoo saw their three-game point streak come to an end.
Keegan Asmundson, making his eighth appearance of the season, stopped 19 of 22 shots in the defeat while Jonas Johansson stopped 31 of 32 in the victory.
The K-Wings return to action on Saturday night hosting the Toledo Walleye for 45th Anniversary night, highlighted by the K-Wings alumni game, and the jersey retirement of Georges Gagnon's number 1.
Kalamazoo Wings single game and half season tickets are available now! More information can be gathered at www.kwings.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 18, 2019
- Matt Rupert Sparks Fuel to Overtime Win in Fort Wayne - Indy Fuel
- Solar Bears Drop Weekend Opener to Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gladiators Blank Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cyclones Kick off Three-In-Three with Road Win - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Mavericks Held Scoreless in Wichita, 4-0 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Growlers Stumble in OT, Fall to the Railers - Newfoundland Growlers
- Railers Win Season High Fourth Straight After Wild 3-2 Overtime Home Victory over the Growlers - Worcester Railers HC
- Stingrays Shut Down Orlando with 38 Saves by Redmond - South Carolina Stingrays
- Four-Goal Second Period Leads Thunder to 6-2 Win over Nailers - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Score in Each Period, Top K-Wings 4-1 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Halverson Stops 43 for First Shutout in Mariners History - Maine Mariners
- Quick Strikes in the Third Push IceMen Past Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Monarchs Blanked by Mariners, 1-0 - Manchester Monarchs
- The 'SOL' Line Propels Glads to Third Straight Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder Power Play Rolls at Home - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals Bark at Brampton in 3rd, Drop 3-1 on Wiener Dog Race Night - Reading Royals
- ECHL Transactions - January 18 - ECHL
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Manchester Monarchs Ice Hockey Team to Seek New Ownership - Manchester Monarchs
- Aurora Games Bringing International Women's Hockey to Glens Falls - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Game Notes: 1/19 vs. Kalamazoo Wings - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers at Thunder Game Day Snap Shot, January 18 - Wheeling Nailers
- Mariners Acquire Defenseman Jutzi from Greenville - Maine Mariners
- Game Preview: IceMen at Admirals, January 18, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Forward Jordan Samuels-Thomas Reassigned to Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Caleb Herbert Returns to Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Day: K-Wings Kick off Big Home Weekend vs. Cyclones - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Pucks N' Paws Night and Wiener Dog Races vs. Brampton - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kalamazoo Wings Stories
- Game Day: K-Wings Aim to Even Series, Force Game 7 in Cincy
- Bradley, Hildebrand Power K-Wings to Game 5 Victory
- Game Day: K-Wings Host Game 5 Saturday Night at Wings Event Center
- K-Wings Tie It Late But Fall 4-3 on Wideman's Power Play Marker
- Game Day: Wings Host Game Four Looking to Even Series