Thunder Power Play Rolls at Home
GLENS FALLS, NY - The Wheeling Nailers had a difficult night on Friday, as they suffered a second consecutive defeat against the Adirondack Thunder at Cool Insuring Arena. After an opening goal by Troy Josephs, the Thunder rattled off six straight markers, including four on the power play, as they were victorious, 6-2. Zac Lynch factored in with assists on both goals, giving him 17 power play points on the season.
The Nailers struck first on the man advantage, before Adirondack answered back with a pair of goals to take a lead into the first intermission. Wheeling's goal was created by Zac Lynch, who drove a shot on goal from the middle of the blueline. Alex Rauter snatched up the rebound, and fed Troy Josephs for an open shot on the left side. The Thunder drew even on a redirection, as James Henry got a piece of Desmond Bergin's wrister from the left point. Adirondack then went ahead, thanks to quick work by its power play. Peter MacArthur swept a shot in from the right point that was touched in on the left side of the crease by Matt Salhany.
The second period was a difficult one for the Nailers, as the Thunder cashed in on an extended power play. The first goal of the stanza came at even strength, as Salhany sped down the right side, before feeding Cullen Bradshaw, who blazed down the slot. Adirondack then dented the twine three times on the man advantage. John Edwardh roofed a shot from the left circle, and he was followed twice in a span of 47 seconds by Brian Ward.
Yushiroh Hirano tipped in a point shot by Dan Fick on a Wheeling power play with 7:17 left for the only third period goal, as the Thunder won the match, 6-2.
Alex Sakellaropoulos got the win for Adirondack, making 23 saves on 25 shots. John Muse gave up six goals on 20 shots in the loss, before giving way to Jordan Ruby, who stopped all nine shots he faced in relief.
The Nailers will conclude their three-game road trip in Reading on Saturday at 7:00. Wheeling will then play six straight home games, starting with Faith & Family Night on January 25th against Brampton at 7:05. Other highlight promotions during the homestand include Spouse Day on January 26th, Family Funday on January 27th, and Pups & Pucks on February 2nd. The next big promotional night is Country Roads, featuring a Mason Jar Giveaway to the first 2,000 fans on February 16th. The Wheeling Nailers, considered one of the top things to do in Wheeling, West Virginia, provide affordable family entertainment for fans throughout the Ohio Valley. For information on season tickets, group tickets, flex plans, and more, call (304) 234-GOAL.
Images from this story
Wheeling Nailers vs. the Adirondack Thunder
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 18, 2019
- Matt Rupert Sparks Fuel to Overtime Win in Fort Wayne - Indy Fuel
- Solar Bears Drop Weekend Opener to Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gladiators Blank Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cyclones Kick off Three-In-Three with Road Win - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Mavericks Held Scoreless in Wichita, 4-0 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Growlers Stumble in OT, Fall to the Railers - Newfoundland Growlers
- Railers Win Season High Fourth Straight After Wild 3-2 Overtime Home Victory over the Growlers - Worcester Railers HC
- Stingrays Shut Down Orlando with 38 Saves by Redmond - South Carolina Stingrays
- Four-Goal Second Period Leads Thunder to 6-2 Win over Nailers - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Score in Each Period, Top K-Wings 4-1 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Halverson Stops 43 for First Shutout in Mariners History - Maine Mariners
- Quick Strikes in the Third Push IceMen Past Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Monarchs Blanked by Mariners, 1-0 - Manchester Monarchs
- The 'SOL' Line Propels Glads to Third Straight Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder Power Play Rolls at Home - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals Bark at Brampton in 3rd, Drop 3-1 on Wiener Dog Race Night - Reading Royals
- ECHL Transactions - January 18 - ECHL
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Manchester Monarchs Ice Hockey Team to Seek New Ownership - Manchester Monarchs
- Aurora Games Bringing International Women's Hockey to Glens Falls - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Game Notes: 1/19 vs. Kalamazoo Wings - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers at Thunder Game Day Snap Shot, January 18 - Wheeling Nailers
- Mariners Acquire Defenseman Jutzi from Greenville - Maine Mariners
- Game Preview: IceMen at Admirals, January 18, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Forward Jordan Samuels-Thomas Reassigned to Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Caleb Herbert Returns to Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Day: K-Wings Kick off Big Home Weekend vs. Cyclones - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Pucks N' Paws Night and Wiener Dog Races vs. Brampton - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.