Gladiators Blank Swamp Rabbits
GREENVILLE, S.C. - The Atlanta Gladiators scored twice in the second period and once more in the third, and goaltender Sean Bonar slammed the door shut in the Greenville Swamp Rabbits' collective face, as the Glads shut out the Swamp Rabbits 3-0 on Friday night at the Bon Secours Wellness Arena.
Bonar made 15 key saves in the first period to quiet the tide, and was perfect the rest of the way in his fifth career shutout. He also helped shut down two Greenville power play opportunities on the night.
Atlanta outshot Greenville 8-6 in the second period, but controlled the flow of play throughout. 7:39 in, a turnover proved costly. Luke Stork pounced on the giveaway and centered a pass in front for Matt Lane who connected for his first goal since his reassignment from the AHL.
Stork responded on a point shot from Zach Malatesta and buried the rebound past Chris Nell at 13:23 to extend the lead to 2-0. Lane picked up the secondary assist.
Brett McKenzie put the game out of reach with his ninth of the season, unassisted, with a wrist shot from the left circle past the halfway point of the third period.
The Swamp Rabbits were shut out for the fifth time this season.
The Swamp Rabbits will look to put an end to the losing streak on Saturday, January 19 against the Gladiators at 7:00 p.m. Tickets are available at SwampRabbits.com.
Images from this story
Atlnata Gladiators vs. the Greenville Swamp Rabbits
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 18, 2019
- Matt Rupert Sparks Fuel to Overtime Win in Fort Wayne - Indy Fuel
- Solar Bears Drop Weekend Opener to Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gladiators Blank Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cyclones Kick off Three-In-Three with Road Win - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Mavericks Held Scoreless in Wichita, 4-0 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Growlers Stumble in OT, Fall to the Railers - Newfoundland Growlers
- Railers Win Season High Fourth Straight After Wild 3-2 Overtime Home Victory over the Growlers - Worcester Railers HC
- Stingrays Shut Down Orlando with 38 Saves by Redmond - South Carolina Stingrays
- Four-Goal Second Period Leads Thunder to 6-2 Win over Nailers - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Score in Each Period, Top K-Wings 4-1 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Halverson Stops 43 for First Shutout in Mariners History - Maine Mariners
- Quick Strikes in the Third Push IceMen Past Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Monarchs Blanked by Mariners, 1-0 - Manchester Monarchs
- The 'SOL' Line Propels Glads to Third Straight Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder Power Play Rolls at Home - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals Bark at Brampton in 3rd, Drop 3-1 on Wiener Dog Race Night - Reading Royals
- ECHL Transactions - January 18 - ECHL
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Manchester Monarchs Ice Hockey Team to Seek New Ownership - Manchester Monarchs
- Aurora Games Bringing International Women's Hockey to Glens Falls - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Game Notes: 1/19 vs. Kalamazoo Wings - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers at Thunder Game Day Snap Shot, January 18 - Wheeling Nailers
- Mariners Acquire Defenseman Jutzi from Greenville - Maine Mariners
- Game Preview: IceMen at Admirals, January 18, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Forward Jordan Samuels-Thomas Reassigned to Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Caleb Herbert Returns to Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Day: K-Wings Kick off Big Home Weekend vs. Cyclones - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Pucks N' Paws Night and Wiener Dog Races vs. Brampton - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greenville Swamp Rabbits Stories
- Marcinew, MacPherson Recalled by Springfield
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly
- Helvig's Show-Stopping Performance Steals Win in Atlanta
- Pelech Hits Historic Milestone in Swamp Rabbits Loss
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly