Royals Bark at Brampton in 3rd, Drop 3-1 on Wiener Dog Race Night
Reading, PA - Reading Royals forward Chris McCarthy cut the Brampton Beast lead in half six minutes into the third, but an empty-net goal from David Vallorani iced it and Reading lost, 3-1, Friday at Santander Arena. Vallorani scored twice, including the game-winning goal early in the second.
The strike from McCarthy was one of Reading's nine shots in the third. Étienne Marcoux blocked 29 in victory. In Branden Komm's first Royals start since Nov. 9, he made 33 saves (loss, 2 GA).
The Royals allowed two goals in less than a minute in the second period to hand the Beast a 2-0 edge.
Sat., Jan. 19 against Wheeling (7:00 p.m.) is a Family Four Pack game, Mascot Mania and Reading's Pediatric Cancer Awareness game with a mini-THON dance party. Get four burgers, four sodas and four tickets for $48. The first 2,500 fans will receive a PA Lottery Voucher, pres., by the PA Lottery. Plus, enter for a chance to win a 2017 Toyota Camry, courtesy of AutoRide of Reading. After the game, join Royals players at the DoubleTree across the street for a party at Cheers! Restaurant.
Three consecutive shots from the Beast resulted in Brampton's first goal at 5:24 of the second. Austin McEneny blasted a one-timer that Komm saved off the pad. The initial rebound went to the left post for Dan Ciampini, who wristed it off Komm's right leg. The third shot from Petgrave at the left post went in over a sprawled Komm.,
Fifty-seven seconds later, Vallorani knuckled a wrist shot over Komm's shoulder on a try from outside the left circle. The puck changed directions on its way in.
McCarthy got Reading on the board on a two-on-one rush at 5:44 of the third. Josh MacDonald threw it to McCarthy at the red line. Zooming up the ice, McCarthy stepped to the left circle and wristed it through the legs.
Reading went 0-for-2 on the power play and denied Brampton's only chance.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 18, 2019
- Matt Rupert Sparks Fuel to Overtime Win in Fort Wayne - Indy Fuel
- Solar Bears Drop Weekend Opener to Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gladiators Blank Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cyclones Kick off Three-In-Three with Road Win - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Mavericks Held Scoreless in Wichita, 4-0 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Growlers Stumble in OT, Fall to the Railers - Newfoundland Growlers
- Railers Win Season High Fourth Straight After Wild 3-2 Overtime Home Victory over the Growlers - Worcester Railers HC
- Stingrays Shut Down Orlando with 38 Saves by Redmond - South Carolina Stingrays
- Four-Goal Second Period Leads Thunder to 6-2 Win over Nailers - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Score in Each Period, Top K-Wings 4-1 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Halverson Stops 43 for First Shutout in Mariners History - Maine Mariners
- Quick Strikes in the Third Push IceMen Past Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Monarchs Blanked by Mariners, 1-0 - Manchester Monarchs
- The 'SOL' Line Propels Glads to Third Straight Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder Power Play Rolls at Home - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals Bark at Brampton in 3rd, Drop 3-1 on Wiener Dog Race Night - Reading Royals
- ECHL Transactions - January 18 - ECHL
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Manchester Monarchs Ice Hockey Team to Seek New Ownership - Manchester Monarchs
- Aurora Games Bringing International Women's Hockey to Glens Falls - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Game Notes: 1/19 vs. Kalamazoo Wings - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers at Thunder Game Day Snap Shot, January 18 - Wheeling Nailers
- Mariners Acquire Defenseman Jutzi from Greenville - Maine Mariners
- Game Preview: IceMen at Admirals, January 18, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Forward Jordan Samuels-Thomas Reassigned to Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Caleb Herbert Returns to Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Day: K-Wings Kick off Big Home Weekend vs. Cyclones - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Pucks N' Paws Night and Wiener Dog Races vs. Brampton - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reading Royals Stories
- F Chris McCarthy Signs PTO with Hershey Bears
- Season-Ending 18 Skinny Stats for 18 Seasons
- Royals End Regular Season on Six-Game Win Streak, 5-3, vs. Adirondack
- Swavely Returned on Loan Prior to Reading' Saturday Home Finale
- Royals Host Adirondack in Finale Saturday: Need Win + Help to Stay Alive in Playoff Hunt