Aurora Games Bringing International Women's Hockey to Glens Falls
GLENS FALLS, NY - The Queensbury Hotel and Cool Insuring Arena are partnering with the international Aurora Games women's sports competition to bring a component of the Albanybased event to Glens Falls this summer.
The Aurora Games are a first-of-its-kind, all-female sports competition and festival featuring world-class athletes competing on teams representing the Americas and the World in tennis, gymnastics, basketball, ice hockey, figure skating and beach volleyball. The competition will take place August 20-25 at the Times Union Center.
Aurora Games Founder Jerry Solomon and Tyler Herrick, General Manager of The Queensbury Hotel, held a press conference at the hotel today to announce details of what they are calling Aurora Games Women's Hockey Week in Glens Falls.
The Americas and World hockey teams will be headquartered at The Queensbury and will participate in community activities in the days leading up to their championship game at the Times Union Center. Aurora Games Women's Hockey Week in Glens Falls will feature public practice sessions at the Cool Insuring Arena on Wednesday, August 21, and Thursday, August 22; a meet-and-greet event with players and coaches on August 21; and an evening exhibition match at the Arena on August 22. The teams will depart Glens Falls and play for the Aurora Games championship Friday evening, August 23, at the Times Union Center.
The teams' rosters are expected to include three two-time Olympians - Kelli Stack of the Americas, and Jennifer Harss (Germany) and Venla Hovi (Finland) of the World. Other internationally experienced players, as well as professional and collegiate stars, will be among the names when team rosters are announced in March.
Digit Murphy, the record-setting coach from Brown University, will coach the Americas team. South Korean Olympic coach Sarah Murray will lead the World team.
"We are excited about adding Glens Falls, The Queensbury Hotel and Cool Insuring Arena to the Aurora Games program," Mr. Solomon said. "This is the perfect location for the Americas and World teams as they gear up for their championship clash. Glens Falls loves hockey, and we know the athletes will get a warm reception."
Mr. Herrick contacted Mr. Solomon late last year about bringing a component of the competition to Glens Falls, and entered into a sponsorship agreement that made Aurora Games Women's Hockey Week possible.
"The Queensbury is thrilled to help shine an international spotlight on our city and the Cool Insuring Arena," he said. "We have been investing heavily in our hotel and now we're expanding that investment into the community itself."
"The Aurora Games will bring some of the world's finest female athletes here, and we are delighted to participate and create this opportunity for a community that is so passionate about hockey," Mr. Herrick added. "We look forward to welcoming these outstanding athletes and making their experience in Glens Falls something they and our local fans will always remember."
"Hockey has a rich history and a loyal following in Glens Falls, and we are thrilled that The Queensbury Hotel took the initiative and that Mr. Solomon and his partners with the Aurora Games chose to bring these athletes and events to our city," said Glens Falls Councilwoman-AtLarge Jane Reid. "The Aurora Games and Women's Hockey Week in Glens Falls are great events that our region can embrace and build on."
A variety of ticket packages for the Glens Falls events are now available through the Cool Insuring Arena Box Office. They include a $75 package with a ticket to the Athlete Meet & Greet at The Queensbury Hotel, a ticket to the Cool Insuring Arena game, and a lower bowl ticket to the Times Union Center game; a $50 package with a ticket to both games; a $30 package including a ticket to the Glens Falls game and the Athlete Meet & Greet. Single game tickets for the Glens Falls match-up are $15. A complete schedule of events for Aurora Games Women's Hockey Week in Glens Falls is available online at auroragamesgf.com.
Tickets for the entire lineup of Aurora Games Albany events will be available on March 8, International Women's Day, at timesunioncenter.com and ticketmaster.com. The latest information about the Aurora Games, can be found on at www.auroragamesfestival.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 18, 2019
- Matt Rupert Sparks Fuel to Overtime Win in Fort Wayne - Indy Fuel
- Solar Bears Drop Weekend Opener to Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gladiators Blank Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cyclones Kick off Three-In-Three with Road Win - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Mavericks Held Scoreless in Wichita, 4-0 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Growlers Stumble in OT, Fall to the Railers - Newfoundland Growlers
- Railers Win Season High Fourth Straight After Wild 3-2 Overtime Home Victory over the Growlers - Worcester Railers HC
- Stingrays Shut Down Orlando with 38 Saves by Redmond - South Carolina Stingrays
- Four-Goal Second Period Leads Thunder to 6-2 Win over Nailers - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Score in Each Period, Top K-Wings 4-1 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Halverson Stops 43 for First Shutout in Mariners History - Maine Mariners
- Quick Strikes in the Third Push IceMen Past Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Monarchs Blanked by Mariners, 1-0 - Manchester Monarchs
- The 'SOL' Line Propels Glads to Third Straight Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder Power Play Rolls at Home - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals Bark at Brampton in 3rd, Drop 3-1 on Wiener Dog Race Night - Reading Royals
- ECHL Transactions - January 18 - ECHL
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Manchester Monarchs Ice Hockey Team to Seek New Ownership - Manchester Monarchs
- Aurora Games Bringing International Women's Hockey to Glens Falls - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Game Notes: 1/19 vs. Kalamazoo Wings - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers at Thunder Game Day Snap Shot, January 18 - Wheeling Nailers
- Mariners Acquire Defenseman Jutzi from Greenville - Maine Mariners
- Game Preview: IceMen at Admirals, January 18, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Forward Jordan Samuels-Thomas Reassigned to Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Caleb Herbert Returns to Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Day: K-Wings Kick off Big Home Weekend vs. Cyclones - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Pucks N' Paws Night and Wiener Dog Races vs. Brampton - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Adirondack Thunder Stories
- Adirondack's Season Ends with Game 5 Loss to Manchester
- Thunder Extend Season with Dramatic Come-From-Behind Win in Game 4
- Six Unanswered Lead Monarchs to 2-0 Series Lead
- Thunder Drop First Game of Series to Monarchs by 4-2 Final
- Logan Thompson Signs PTO with Binghamton Devils