Railers Win Season High Fourth Straight After Wild 3-2 Overtime Home Victory over the Growlers
WORCESTER, MA - The Worcester Railers HC (17-16-3-2, 39pts) won their season high fourth straight game with a come from behind 3-2 overtime victory over the visiting first place Newfoundland Growlers (26-11-2-0, 54pts) in front of 3,135 fans at the DCU Center on Friday evening. The Railers four game homestand concludes on SCOUT NIGHT on a BIG GAME SATURDAY at 7pm vs. the Newfoundland Growlers.
Ryan Hitchcock, Ryan MacKinnon, and Matt Schmalz scored for Worcester while Mitch Gillam made 31 saves in net for the Railers for his 11th win of the season. Barry Almeida added two assists as Worcester improved to 3-0-0-0 on their four game homestand. Former Railer Eamon McAdam made 17 saves in net for Newfoundland in the loss as the Railers tied the score late in the third period before winning the game in overtime.
Ryan Hitchcock (2nd) gave the Railers a 1-0 lead at 17:46 after he raced to the top of the crease and Tyler Barnes zipped the puck in front from the right corner that Hitchcock jammed through Eamon McAdam. Newfoundland tied the score just 19 seconds later after the Growlers won the puck behind the Railers net and Marcus Power (15th) was found alone in front of the Railers net at flipped a backhander past the glove of Mitch Gillam. Shots were 11-5 in favor of the Growlers through 20 minutes of play.
Neither team scored in the second period as shots were 7-7 in the middle frame as the two clubs headed into the second intermission tied 1-1 through 40 minutes of play.
The Growlers grabbed their first lead of the game after Mitch Gillam was bowled over and Griffen Molino (3rd) scored on a penalty shot at 14:05 of the third period with a nice move. With the extra attacker on the ice, Ryan MacKinnon (3rd) sent the tying goal into the net with a rebound strike at 19:22 to force overtime.
In overtime, Mitch Gillam made two great saves before sending a long pass ahead that sent Matt Schmalz (8th) into the offensive zone and Schmalz crashed the net for the overtime game winner at 3:54 to give the Railers a 3-2 overtime victory.
Notes: Three Stars: 3rd star: Griffen Molino (Goal) 2nd star: Matt Schmalz (OTG) 1st star: Ryan MacKinnon (Tying Goal) .... final shots were 33-20 in favor of Newfoundland.... Eamon McAdam (1-1-1) made 17 saves on 20 shots for Newfoundland.... Mitch Gillam (11-9-1) made 31 saves on 33 shots for Worcester.... while Evan Buitenhuis served as the backup.... Worcester went 0-for-3 on the power play while Newfoundland went 0-for-3.... Kyle McKenzie (inj), Yanick Turcotte (susp), Nick Roberto, Tommy Panico (inj), and Malcolm Gould (inj) did not dress for Worcester.... Jeff Kubiak, Matty Gaudreau, Josh Holmstrom, and Mike Cornell are currently on recall with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers...before the game the Railers signed defenseman Kevin Hart....Matt Schmalz (4-3-7) now has a four-game point streak... Barry Almeida added two assists and was +2.... Worcester is now 3-0-0-0 on their four game homestand and 11-6-3-1 on home ice this season....Mitch Gillam added an assist on the overtime goal.... The Railers are now 3-3 in overtime this season...Tyler Barnes, Tyler Mueller, and Tommy Kelley all added assists for Worcester....the win halted the Growlers six game win streak....the Railers moved over the .500 mark for the first time since they were 3-2-0-0 through five games.
What's on Tap?.....Homestand Comes to an End
On Saturday, Jan 19 the Railers host the Newfoundland Growlers at 7pm on a BIG GAME SATURDAY on Scout Night! Boy Scouts throughout central Massachusetts will be attending to receive a Railers HC hat and a Railers HC patch - call the Railers front office at 508-365-1750 for more information! Every Saturday night home game is SATURDAY NIGHT SIGNINGS presented by MidState Auto Group with a Railers player signing autographs during the first intermission.
The Railers Tavern located behind the DCU Center provides hockey fans with a great pregame and postgame atmosphere all season long. Watch all road games broadcast live at Nonna's (FRI, SAT, SUN) or Railers Tavern (MON-THU) or watch on ECHLTV.com for a small fee. Listen to all Railers games live on 98.9 Nash ICON with coverage beginning 30 minutes before puck drop with Eric Lindquist and Tom Matthews. Full season memberships, mini plans, and group tickets are on sale now by calling the Railers front office at 508-365-1750 or by visiting www.RailersHC.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 18, 2019
- Matt Rupert Sparks Fuel to Overtime Win in Fort Wayne - Indy Fuel
- Solar Bears Drop Weekend Opener to Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gladiators Blank Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cyclones Kick off Three-In-Three with Road Win - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Mavericks Held Scoreless in Wichita, 4-0 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Growlers Stumble in OT, Fall to the Railers - Newfoundland Growlers
- Railers Win Season High Fourth Straight After Wild 3-2 Overtime Home Victory over the Growlers - Worcester Railers HC
- Stingrays Shut Down Orlando with 38 Saves by Redmond - South Carolina Stingrays
- Four-Goal Second Period Leads Thunder to 6-2 Win over Nailers - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Score in Each Period, Top K-Wings 4-1 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Halverson Stops 43 for First Shutout in Mariners History - Maine Mariners
- Quick Strikes in the Third Push IceMen Past Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Monarchs Blanked by Mariners, 1-0 - Manchester Monarchs
- The 'SOL' Line Propels Glads to Third Straight Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder Power Play Rolls at Home - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals Bark at Brampton in 3rd, Drop 3-1 on Wiener Dog Race Night - Reading Royals
- ECHL Transactions - January 18 - ECHL
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Manchester Monarchs Ice Hockey Team to Seek New Ownership - Manchester Monarchs
- Aurora Games Bringing International Women's Hockey to Glens Falls - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Game Notes: 1/19 vs. Kalamazoo Wings - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers at Thunder Game Day Snap Shot, January 18 - Wheeling Nailers
- Mariners Acquire Defenseman Jutzi from Greenville - Maine Mariners
- Game Preview: IceMen at Admirals, January 18, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Forward Jordan Samuels-Thomas Reassigned to Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Caleb Herbert Returns to Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Day: K-Wings Kick off Big Home Weekend vs. Cyclones - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Pucks N' Paws Night and Wiener Dog Races vs. Brampton - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Worcester Railers HC Stories
- Railers Battle Back But Come up Short in 7-4 Home Loss to Monarchs
- Railers Leap Frog into Playoff Spot After 5-3 Home Win over Mariners
- Railers Kick off Weekend with the Right Stuff in 5-2 Win in Manchester
- Worcester Railers HC Sign a Pair of Players from Holy Cross
- Worcester Railers HC Have Promotion Packed St. Patrick's Day Weekend at DCU Center