Growlers Stumble in OT, Fall to the Railers
The Newfoundland Growlers win streak halts at six as the Railers beat the Growlers 3-2 in overtime.
The Railers would score first, on their fifth shot of the game, beating Growlers goalie Eamon McAdam who made his third start of the season after returning from the Toronto Marlies of the AHL earlier in the week. The goal was scored by Ryan Hitchcock, just his second of the season.
Just 19 seconds after the Worcester tally, Marcus Power would jump on a loose puck behind the Railers defence to quickly dangle and tuck a backhand shot around Mitch Gilliam to tie the game at one.
Both Goalies would stand tall until Griffen Molino wasawarded a penalty shot with 5:55 minutes left in the game. Molino would make good on his chance to go 1 VS 1 with Gilliam, scoring his third goal of the season on the play.
The Railers would respond with just over 37 second left in the game, with their goalie pulled, Ryan MacKinnon would tap the puck past McAdam. The Growlers would argue the goal was kicked in, but upon review the game-tying goal would stand.
The Railers completed the comeback 3:54 into overtime as Matt Schmalz is gifted a rebound on the doorstep of McAdam.
Eamon McAdam started his first game as a Growler since October 27th
The Growlers have now recorded a point in seven straight games
The three stars were 3 - G. Molino (NFL), 2 - M. Schmalz (WOR) and 1 - R. MacKinnon (WOR)
The Newfoundland Growlers five-game road trip continues Saturday night in Worcester for a rematch with the Railers. Puck drop is 8:35 p.m. Catch all the action with Chris Ballard at mixlr.com/nlgrowlers.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 18, 2019
- Matt Rupert Sparks Fuel to Overtime Win in Fort Wayne - Indy Fuel
- Solar Bears Drop Weekend Opener to Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gladiators Blank Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cyclones Kick off Three-In-Three with Road Win - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Mavericks Held Scoreless in Wichita, 4-0 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Growlers Stumble in OT, Fall to the Railers - Newfoundland Growlers
- Railers Win Season High Fourth Straight After Wild 3-2 Overtime Home Victory over the Growlers - Worcester Railers HC
- Stingrays Shut Down Orlando with 38 Saves by Redmond - South Carolina Stingrays
- Four-Goal Second Period Leads Thunder to 6-2 Win over Nailers - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Score in Each Period, Top K-Wings 4-1 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Halverson Stops 43 for First Shutout in Mariners History - Maine Mariners
- Quick Strikes in the Third Push IceMen Past Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Monarchs Blanked by Mariners, 1-0 - Manchester Monarchs
- The 'SOL' Line Propels Glads to Third Straight Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder Power Play Rolls at Home - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals Bark at Brampton in 3rd, Drop 3-1 on Wiener Dog Race Night - Reading Royals
- ECHL Transactions - January 18 - ECHL
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Manchester Monarchs Ice Hockey Team to Seek New Ownership - Manchester Monarchs
- Aurora Games Bringing International Women's Hockey to Glens Falls - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Game Notes: 1/19 vs. Kalamazoo Wings - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers at Thunder Game Day Snap Shot, January 18 - Wheeling Nailers
- Mariners Acquire Defenseman Jutzi from Greenville - Maine Mariners
- Game Preview: IceMen at Admirals, January 18, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Forward Jordan Samuels-Thomas Reassigned to Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Caleb Herbert Returns to Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Day: K-Wings Kick off Big Home Weekend vs. Cyclones - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Pucks N' Paws Night and Wiener Dog Races vs. Brampton - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.