Boston Bruins sign Raycroft, Kutlak and Campbell
Providence, RI -- The Boston Bruins announced today that they have re-signed goaltender Andrew Raycroft and defenseman Zdenek Kutlak, and signed free agent defenseman Ed Campbell. All three players signed one-year contracts.
Andrew is one of our brightest young players, said Bruins General Manager Mike OConnell. He has certainly proven himself at the AHL level over the last couple of seasons and has played well in Boston when the need arose. We certainly expect that he will challenge for the number one goaltending position in training camp this fall. We also expect that several of our young defensemen will challenge for positions in Boston this season and Zdenek is part of that group. Ed has been a solid, physical defenseman over his career and his signing gives us added depth at the position in the organization.
Raycroft, 23, enters his fourth professional season. He was Bostons fourth pick, 135th overall, in the 1998 NHL Entry Draft. He played three seasons of junior hockey with Sudbury and Kingston of the Ontario Hockey League from 1997-2000 and was 58-58-15 with a 3.83 GAA in 139 games. He was 33-20-5 with a 3.43 GAA in 61 games with Kingston in his final season, in 1999-2000. That season he became the first goaltender in 50 years to be named the OHLs Most Valuable Player (as well as Outstanding Goaltender), and was named the Top Goaltender in all of Canadian junior hockey.
Raycroft, a 60, 174-pound native of Belleville, Ontario, has split the previous three seasons between Boston and Providence. He has posted back-to-back 20-win seasons with Providence, notching 25 wins in 2001-02 and 23 in 2002-03. During the 2001-02 season, he set franchise single-season marks for games played (56), minutes played (3,317), saves (1,546) and shutouts (4). He is 56-48-13 with a 2.81 GAA in 121 career games with Providence, and 6-9-1 with a 2.78 GAA in 21 career games with Boston.
Kutlak, 23, also enters his fourth professional season. He was Bostons 10th pick, 237th overall, in the 2000 NHL Entry Draft. The 63, 221-pound native of Ceske Budejovice, Czech Republic played two seasons with his hometown club in the Czech Republic before coming to North America for the 2000-01 season. He has spent most of his first three seasons with Providence, posting 13-32-45 totals and 141 PIM in 210 games, and ranks fifth on the franchise list for games played. Kutlak has 1-2-3 totals and 4 PIM in 14 career games with Boston, and scored his first NHL goal on February 15, 2003 at Tampa Bay.
Campbell, 29, enters his eighth professional season, his first in the Bruins organization. The 62, 204-pound native of Worcester, Massachusetts played three seasons of collegiate hockey at the University of Massachusetts-Lowell from 1993-96, posting 20-71-91 totals and 326 PIM in 113 games. He was originally selected by the New York Rangers with their ninth pick, 190th overall, in the 1993 NHL Entry Draft, and played his first five seasons in New Yorks organization, in both the AHL and IHL. He played with his hometown Worcester IceCats (AHL) from 2000-02, serving as the teams captain in both seasons. Campbell played the 2001-02 season under contract with Worcesters parent club, the St. Louis Blues, before signing as a free agent with the Detroit Red Wings on August 5, 2002. He played last season with Detroits AHL affiliate, the Grand Rapids Griffins, tallying 12 assists and 140 PIM, while ranking as the teams only player to appear in all 80 games. Campbell, who has averaged 166 PIM per season over his professional career, has 13-75-88 totals and 660 PIM in 329 career AHL games with Worcester, Grand Rapids, the Hartford Wolf Pack and the Binghamton Rangers.
The Providence Bruins will host a Boston Bruins pre-season game against the Stanley Cup champion New Jersey Devils at the Dunkin Donuts Center Providence on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 at 7:05 p.m. Ticket information for the game can be obtained by calling the Providence Bruins ticket office at (401) 273-5000, or by logging on to the team website at www.providencebruins.com.
Ticket information for the Boston Bruins pre-season game, as well as season ticket packages for the upcoming 2003-04 Providence Bruins regular season, can be obtained by calling the P-Bruins ticket office at (401) 273-5000 or by logging on to the team website at www.providencebruins.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from July 31, 2003
- WBS Penguins Announce 2003-04 Schedule - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Amerks Open 48th Season at Home against Hamilton - Rochester Americans
- Wolves Kick-Off 10th Season on Oct. 11 - Chicago Wolves
- 2003-2004 Worcester IceCats Schedule Released - Worcester IceCats
- Season Opens October 10th at the Bradley Center - Milwaukee Admirals
- Barons Release 03-04 Schedule - Cleveland Barons
- Monarchs 2003-04 Schedule Released - Manchester Monarchs
- 'Building Memories, Building Excitement' Begins on October 11 - Manitoba Moose
- Sound Tigers Announce 2003-04 Schedule & Start Times - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Barons Announce 'Hockey Fest' August 23rd - Cleveland Barons
- Rampage Announce Schedule - San Antonio Rampage
- Mighty Ducks Schedule Loaded with Weekend Dates - Cincinnati RailRaiders
- Falcons Announce 2003-04 Schedule - Springfield Falcons
- Grand Rapids Griffins Announce Schedule - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Moose Announce 2003 Training Camp Schedule - Manitoba Moose
- AHL announces 2003-04 schedule - AHL
- Bulldogs 2003-04 Schedule Set - Hamilton Bulldogs
- P-Bruins announce 2003-04 schedule - Providence Bruins
- Boston Bruins sign Raycroft, Kutlak and Campbell - Providence Bruins
- Phantoms announce 2003-04 schedule - Adirondack Phantoms
- Stumpel, Brennan And Smithson Sign With The Kings - Manchester Monarchs
- Rivermen Head Coach Jason Christie To Appear on St. Jude's Telethon; Parking Pass Offered - Peoria Rivermen
- St. Louis Re-signs Goalie and Forward - Worcester IceCats
- Crunch Announce 2003-04 Schedule - Syracuse Crunch
- B-Sens Schedule Released - Binghamton Senators
- Wolf Pack Announce 2003-04 Schedule - Connecticut Whale
- Norfolk Admirals Unveil 2003-04 AHL Schedule - Norfolk Admirals
- Portland Pirates Release 2003-2004 Schedule - Portland Pirates
- Bears Announce 2003-04 Schedule - Hershey Bears
- Doug Jarvis Named Bulldogs New Head Coach - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Pittsburgh Penguins Agree to Terms with Rico Fata, Toby Peter sen and Rob Scuderi - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.