Wheeling Penalty Kill Helps to Earn a Point against Thunder
GLENS FALLS, NY- The Wheeling Nailers put forth one of their best efforts of the season on the penalty kill, and it helped them earn a point on the road against the Adirondack Thunder at Cool Insuring Arena. Wheeling killed all eight Adirondack power plays, while receiving goals from Reid Gardiner and Troy Josephs. However, the Thunder escaped with the bonus point, as Desmond Bergin scored just 20 seconds into overtime, lifting the home team to a 3-2 win.
The Nailers put forth a strong effort on the penalty kill during the first period, thwarting three opportunities for Adirondack. After the third kill, Wheeling used the momentum to lead to the opening goal. Reid Gardiner broke up a play in the defensive zone, then proceeded to lead a 3-on-2 rush up the ice. Gardiner kept the puck to himself, sniping in a shot from the left circle.
One goal was scored in the middle frame, as the Thunder pulled even, sending the contest into the third with a 1-1 deadlock. A big scramble for the puck took place around the crease, with Mathieu Brodeur chipping away for Adirondack. Brodeur's final whack trickled the puck out into the left slot, where Brian Ward spike a shot into the cage.
Both clubs found the net in the third period, exchanging goals less than two minutes apart from each other. Wheeling's tally came from Troy Josephs, who wound through the slot to the left circle, where he zipped home a go-ahead goal. Ward's second of the day was the equalizer for Adirondack, as he shelved a drop pass from Shane Conacher.
The tightly played match needed overtime to be decided, and just 20 seconds into the extra session, the Thunder prevailed. James Henry battled the puck free to Desmond Bergin, who lit the lamp from the right side for the 3-2 final.
Drew Fielding got the win in goal for Adirondack, making 31 saves on 33 shots. Adam Morrison helped the Nailers earn a point in the overtime defeat, stopping 27 of the 30 shots he faced.
The Nailers will head home for the next four games, beginning with a WesBanco Winning Wednesday against the Worcester Railers on March 21st at 7:05. The next big promotional game is Fan Appreciation Night on March 31st at 7:05 against the Manchester Monarchs. Fan Appreciation Night will feature a diamond ring giveaway for one lucky fan, a team trading card set for the first 2,500 fans, a full team post game autograph session, and various prizes throughout the game. There is also a Family Four Pack for Fan Appreciation Night, in which fans can get four tickets, four hats, and four McDonald's Meal Vouchers for $56. To purchase tickets, or to get more information about season tickets, flex plans, group tickets, and more, call (304) 234-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 17, 2018
- Eagles Defeat Allen 5-4, over $60K Raised for Local Family in Need - Colorado Eagles
- Rush End Skid in OT - Rapid City Rush
- Everblades Unbeaten Streak Ends in Loss to Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Earn Point in 4-3 Overtime Decision against Toledo - Indy Fuel
- Wings Earn Critical Divisional Win in Front of Standing Room Only Crowd - Kalamazoo Wings
- Admirals Complete Season Sweep of Swamp Rabbits, Run Home Win Streak to Seven - Norfolk Admirals
- Stolarz Leads Royals to Victory over Brampton - Brampton Beast
- Gladiators Drop Point in Overtime Loss - Atlanta Gladiators
- Swamp Rabbits Fall Short in Norfolk - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cyclones Fall Following Third Period Push - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Railers Find Pot of Gold in 3-2 Home Win over Fort Wayne - Worcester Railers HC
- Tifu's Number Retired and Royals Slam Brampton in Series Finale, 5-1 - Reading Royals
- IceMen Complete Rally against Gladiators - Jacksonville IceMen
- Grizzlies Collect Another Point; Unbeaten in 12/13 - Utah Grizzlies
- Saturday's Game against Tulsa Rescheduled - Kansas City Mavericks
- Monarchs Battle Past Grizzlies, 3-2, in Overtime - Manchester Monarchs
- Adirondack Wheels Past Nailers in Second Straight Overtime Win - Adirondack Thunder
- Wheeling Penalty Kill Helps to Earn a Point against Thunder - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Americans Add Forward Tyler Poulsen - Allen Americans
- Swavely Recalled by Lehigh Valley Ahead of Reading's 7:00 p.m. Home Game - Reading Royals
- ECHL Transactions - March 17 - ECHL
- Americans Hit the Final Destination on Two-Week Road Trip - Allen Americans
- Alex Wideman Recalled to Rockford - Indy Fuel
- Greenville Seeking Luck of the Irish in Norfolk - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Day: Admirals Look to Channel Inner Irish on St. Hatrick's Day - Norfolk Admirals
- Gameday - Adirondack (35-21-3-4) vs. Wheeling (31-25-6-1) - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Kalamazoo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers at Thunder Game Day Snap Shot, March 17 - Wheeling Nailers
- Worcester Railers HC Signs University Nebraska Omaha Forward Jake Randolph - Worcester Railers HC
- Parsons Reassigned to Kansas City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Gameday Report: Mavericks vs. Oilers - Kansas City Mavericks
- IceMen's Playoff Push Continues against Atlanta - Jacksonville IceMen
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, March 17 - Manchester Monarchs
- Stolarz Starts for Royals Again Tonight on Tifu Retirement Night - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Take Overtime Point to Start Trip - Utah Grizzlies
- 'Blades Put out Solar Bears Flame in 3-1 Victory - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.