Gameday Report: Mavericks vs. Oilers
INDEPENDENCE, Mo. - The Kansas City Mavericks look to bounce back from last night's setback as they face the Tulsa Oilers once again Saturday for Fan Appreciation Night.
Kansas City Mavericks (30-28-2-2) vs. Tulsa Oilers (28-24-3-8)
Silverstein Eye Centers Arena | Independence, Mo.
Point Streak Snapped
The Mavericks saw their five-game point streak snapped with last night's 5-3 loss to Tulsa, a stretch than spanned back to the start of the month. Overall, the Mavericks have recorded points in seven of their last nine games and will look to get back in the win column tonight.
Fast Start Key
The Mavericks and Oilers went scoreless into the first intermission last night, but Tulsa grabbed command of the game with a 3-0 score in the second period. The key to Tulsa is getting to the Oilers early - Tulsa is dragging a 21-goal deficit in the first 20 minutes compared to outscoring opponents in the second and third on the year. When trailing after one, Tulsa is 6-20-2-1 on the year. When tied or leading, the Oilers are 22-4-1-7.
Home Sweet Home
The Mavericks enter tonight's game having won four of the last five games at home, including weekend sweeps of Allen (Feb. 23 and 24) and Fort Wayne (March 2 and 3). Kansas City has won both meetings against Tulsa at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena this season, a Kids Day Game win in which Shawn Pauly posted his first-career hat trick and a shootout win on New Year's Eve.
The Mavericks remain tied with Kalamazoo for the fourth and final spot in the Central Division after dropping last night's contest and the Wings being idle. Kalamazoo faces Cincinnati, which was dominant in a Friday win over Indy last night. The Fuel, one point back of KC and Kalamazoo, host the Central-leading Toledo Walleye tonight. The Mavericks' magic number for the playoffs stands at 23 points - a number which will decrease every time Kalamazoo leaves a point on the ice (L, OTL, SOL) and every time KC adds a point to its total (W, OTL, SOL). The Wings currently own the tie break of most regulation and overtime wins, 29-27.
How to Follow
For lines, goals and period recaps, follow the team on Twitter (@KC_Mavericks). For play-by-play updates, follow @KCMavsGameday. Bob Rennison's play-by-play call alongside Ryan Gibson is available via the team's free mobile app (Kansas City Mavericks) and on KCMavericks.com.
The Mavericks face off against the Quad City Mallards for the final time on Sunday at 4:05 p.m. for the annual Racing Day Game at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena.
For all the latest on the Mavericks, follow the team on Twitter (@KC_Mavericks), Instagram (kcmavericks), Facebook (Kansas City Mavericks) and Snapchat (KCMavericks), download the team's free mobile app (Kansas City Mavericks) and keep checking in to KCMavericks.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 17, 2018
- Eagles Defeat Allen 5-4, over $60K Raised for Local Family in Need - Colorado Eagles
- Rush End Skid in OT - Rapid City Rush
- Everblades Unbeaten Streak Ends in Loss to Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Earn Point in 4-3 Overtime Decision against Toledo - Indy Fuel
- Wings Earn Critical Divisional Win in Front of Standing Room Only Crowd - Kalamazoo Wings
- Admirals Complete Season Sweep of Swamp Rabbits, Run Home Win Streak to Seven - Norfolk Admirals
- Stolarz Leads Royals to Victory over Brampton - Brampton Beast
- Gladiators Drop Point in Overtime Loss - Atlanta Gladiators
- Swamp Rabbits Fall Short in Norfolk - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cyclones Fall Following Third Period Push - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Railers Find Pot of Gold in 3-2 Home Win over Fort Wayne - Worcester Railers HC
- Tifu's Number Retired and Royals Slam Brampton in Series Finale, 5-1 - Reading Royals
- IceMen Complete Rally against Gladiators - Jacksonville IceMen
- Grizzlies Collect Another Point; Unbeaten in 12/13 - Utah Grizzlies
- Saturday's Game against Tulsa Rescheduled - Kansas City Mavericks
- Monarchs Battle Past Grizzlies, 3-2, in Overtime - Manchester Monarchs
- Adirondack Wheels Past Nailers in Second Straight Overtime Win - Adirondack Thunder
- Wheeling Penalty Kill Helps to Earn a Point against Thunder - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Americans Add Forward Tyler Poulsen - Allen Americans
- Swavely Recalled by Lehigh Valley Ahead of Reading's 7:00 p.m. Home Game - Reading Royals
- ECHL Transactions - March 17 - ECHL
- Americans Hit the Final Destination on Two-Week Road Trip - Allen Americans
- Alex Wideman Recalled to Rockford - Indy Fuel
- Greenville Seeking Luck of the Irish in Norfolk - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Day: Admirals Look to Channel Inner Irish on St. Hatrick's Day - Norfolk Admirals
- Gameday - Adirondack (35-21-3-4) vs. Wheeling (31-25-6-1) - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Kalamazoo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers at Thunder Game Day Snap Shot, March 17 - Wheeling Nailers
- Worcester Railers HC Signs University Nebraska Omaha Forward Jake Randolph - Worcester Railers HC
- Parsons Reassigned to Kansas City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Gameday Report: Mavericks vs. Oilers - Kansas City Mavericks
- IceMen's Playoff Push Continues against Atlanta - Jacksonville IceMen
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, March 17 - Manchester Monarchs
- Stolarz Starts for Royals Again Tonight on Tifu Retirement Night - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Take Overtime Point to Start Trip - Utah Grizzlies
- 'Blades Put out Solar Bears Flame in 3-1 Victory - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- Mavericks Announce 2019-20 Regular Season Home Schedule
- Mavericks Trainer Nick Potter Wins ECHL Athletic Trainer of the Year Award
- Kansas City Mavericks Wrap up 10th Season with Return to the Playoffs
- Mavericks Eliminated in Game Seven Loss at Tulsa
- Mavericks Head to Game Seven After 4-2 Loss in Game Six at Tulsa