Game Day: Admirals Look to Channel Inner Irish on St. Hatrick's Day
Norfolk, VA - The Norfolk Admirals will look to channel their inner Irish on St. Hatrick's day as the team hosts the Greenville Swamp Rabbits for the final time this season.
Admirals (24-32-6-1) vs Greenville (21-34-7-1)
St. Hatrick's Day:
The Admirals celebrate St. Patrick's Day on Saturday with the hockey twist of St. Hatrick's Day presented by Papco. The Admirals will skate on green ice, and wear green jerseys as a part of the celebration. Special green jerseys will be auctioned off through a live auction on the ice after the game. All the money raised will go back to MDA. Fans are encouraged to stick around after the game to bid on the jerseys.
Norfolk looks to sweep the season series on Saturday night after skating away victorious in each of the first five meetings. Since rejoining the ECHL the Admirals have had the Swamp Rabbits number, winning 11 of 17 matchups. However, four of Greenville's six victories have come in Norfolk.
The Norfolk offense, which has scored 26 goals in five games against the Swamp Rabbits, is led by captain Brodie Dupont who has 14 points (4g, 10a) in the five-game set. Grant Besse, who netted two points on Friday night, is right behind Dupont with ten points (3g, 7a). Christian Horn's hat trick on Friday pushed the forward to eight points (4g, 4a) against the South Division foe this season. Greenville's Joe Basaraba, who scored on Friday, is the only active Swamp Rabbit with more than a single goal against Norfolk. The forward has four points (2g, 2a) against the Admirals. Six other Swamp Rabbits have scored against the Admirals this season.
The goaltending matchup has seen a pair of Ty's go head to head in the majority of the games. Norfolk's Ty Reichenbach (3-0-0-0, 2.00 GAA, .941 SV%) has been perfect against the Swamp Rabbits, while Ty Rimmer of Greenville has suffered four losses, while allowing 6.01 goals per game, and posting a save percentage of .833.
Scouting the Swamp Rabbits:
Greenville heads into Saturday five points back of the Admirals for fifth place in the South Division. Rookie Evan Jasper, who was held scoreless on Friday, leads the visitors with 44 points (18g, 26a). Joe Basaraba is just behind the rookie with 43 points, and ranks second on the team with 17 goals. No other current Swamp Rabbit has surpassed the 30 point mark this season.
Hats, Hats, Hats:
Christian Horn netted the Admirals seventh hat trick of the season on Friday night, and his second hat trick of the season. Horn is the second Admiral to tally two hat tricks this season, joining Darik Angeli. This season the Admirals have nearly double the amount of hat tricks that the team scored in the last two seasons combined (4). No other team has scored as many hat tricks as the Admirals this season.
Looking for Seven:
Friday's victory gave the Admirals six straight home victories. The Admirals have now won more than five-straight home games for only the third time since 2005-06. The longest home win-streak since the 2005-06 season came as a part of the Admirals 28-consecutive wins en route to the Calder Cup championship.
Norfolk currently sits six points behind the Atlanta Gladiators for fourth place, with one game in hand. Atlanta, who plays Jacksonville Saturday night, has played 64 games this season. Jacksonville, who is in Norfolk on Sunday, is currently two points back from the Admirals with a game in hand.
Big nights for Brodie Dupont and Grant Besse helped the Norfolk forwards climb the scoring charts for the ECHL scoring title, and rookie scoring title respectively. Dupont's four assists put the captain only three points behind Shawn Szydlowski for first place in the league. With two points (1g, 1a) Besse has now surpassed Justin Danforth for the rookie lead in points (61). The rookie can also become the first Admiral since the 2011-12 season to reach the 30-goal mark with his next tally.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 17, 2018
- Eagles Defeat Allen 5-4, over $60K Raised for Local Family in Need - Colorado Eagles
- Rush End Skid in OT - Rapid City Rush
- Everblades Unbeaten Streak Ends in Loss to Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Earn Point in 4-3 Overtime Decision against Toledo - Indy Fuel
- Wings Earn Critical Divisional Win in Front of Standing Room Only Crowd - Kalamazoo Wings
- Admirals Complete Season Sweep of Swamp Rabbits, Run Home Win Streak to Seven - Norfolk Admirals
- Stolarz Leads Royals to Victory over Brampton - Brampton Beast
- Gladiators Drop Point in Overtime Loss - Atlanta Gladiators
- Swamp Rabbits Fall Short in Norfolk - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cyclones Fall Following Third Period Push - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Railers Find Pot of Gold in 3-2 Home Win over Fort Wayne - Worcester Railers HC
- Tifu's Number Retired and Royals Slam Brampton in Series Finale, 5-1 - Reading Royals
- IceMen Complete Rally against Gladiators - Jacksonville IceMen
- Grizzlies Collect Another Point; Unbeaten in 12/13 - Utah Grizzlies
- Saturday's Game against Tulsa Rescheduled - Kansas City Mavericks
- Monarchs Battle Past Grizzlies, 3-2, in Overtime - Manchester Monarchs
- Adirondack Wheels Past Nailers in Second Straight Overtime Win - Adirondack Thunder
- Wheeling Penalty Kill Helps to Earn a Point against Thunder - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Americans Add Forward Tyler Poulsen - Allen Americans
- Swavely Recalled by Lehigh Valley Ahead of Reading's 7:00 p.m. Home Game - Reading Royals
- ECHL Transactions - March 17 - ECHL
- Americans Hit the Final Destination on Two-Week Road Trip - Allen Americans
- Alex Wideman Recalled to Rockford - Indy Fuel
- Greenville Seeking Luck of the Irish in Norfolk - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Day: Admirals Look to Channel Inner Irish on St. Hatrick's Day - Norfolk Admirals
- Gameday - Adirondack (35-21-3-4) vs. Wheeling (31-25-6-1) - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Kalamazoo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers at Thunder Game Day Snap Shot, March 17 - Wheeling Nailers
- Worcester Railers HC Signs University Nebraska Omaha Forward Jake Randolph - Worcester Railers HC
- Parsons Reassigned to Kansas City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Gameday Report: Mavericks vs. Oilers - Kansas City Mavericks
- IceMen's Playoff Push Continues against Atlanta - Jacksonville IceMen
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, March 17 - Manchester Monarchs
- Stolarz Starts for Royals Again Tonight on Tifu Retirement Night - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Take Overtime Point to Start Trip - Utah Grizzlies
- 'Blades Put out Solar Bears Flame in 3-1 Victory - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Norfolk Admirals Stories
- Campagna's Late Goal Lifts Admirals over Mariners
- Dornbrock Scores First Goal with Admirals in Loss to Jacksonville
- Norfolk Admirals Announce New Season Ticket Packages for 2020-21 Season
- Theut's 36 Saves Propels Admirals to 5-1 Victory
- Admirals Acquire Three Players from Cincinnati for B. Holmstrom, Coughlin