IceMen's Playoff Push Continues against Atlanta
The Jacksonville Icemen (23-32-4-3, 53 pts) continue their most important three-game stretch of the 2017-18 season, presented by Community First Credit Union, tonight on the road against the Atlanta Gladiators (29-32-1-2, 61 pts). An Icemen win and an Admirals loss tonight moves Jacksonville into fifth in the South Division before Norfolk and Jacksonville face off tomorrow afternoon in another critical matchup.
There's no doubt that the Gladiators will be hungry for revenge following a poor showing in a 4-1 loss to Jacksonville on Thursday. One area of focus for Atlanta tonight will definitely be the power play. On Thursday, the Gladiators had seven man advantage chances, but converted on none of the opportunities. It will be interesting to see if the home team goes with Dan Vladar again or puts Sean Bonar in the crease. Bonar has been a challenge for the Icemen this season, winning three games and posting a 2.17 GAA and .917 SV%.
Aside from taking seven penalties, Thursday couldn't have gone any better for the Icemen. They know that they're going to face a more physical, attacking Gladiators club tonight in the final meeting between the two teams this season. In order to secure another two points tonight, Jacksonville is going to need another big evening from its forwards. Jimmy Lodge continued to get production against this Atlanta club on Thursday, tallying three assists. Lodge brings 13 points in 10 games against the Gladiators into tonight's game, the most on the team. In net, Austin Lotz will face a big challenge against the Gladiators who are sure to put more shots on goal than the 34 they posted on Thursday.
Catch all the action live on ECHL TV tonight at 7:05 p.m. as the Icemen and Gladiators battle in Atlanta.
Jacksonville Icemen: 23-32-4-3 (6th in South division)
Atlanta Gladiators: 29-32-1-2 (4th in South division)
Icemen: 24/249 - 9.6% (27th in ECHL)
Gladiators: 34/250 - 13.6% (25th in ECHL)
Icemen: 230/278 - 82.7% (15th in ECHL)
Gladiators: 216/262 - 82.4% (19th in ECHL)
Players to Watch:
#27 F Matt Ustaski (JAX)
2G, 0A - 2 Pts, -1 Rating
Tonight will be the newcomer's fourth pro game, but he's proven his worth already. Ustaski brings a two-game goal streak into tonight, and another goal tonight would be huge.
#29 F Phil Lane (ATL)
29G, 22A - 51 Pts, +4 Rating
Lane leads the Gladiators with seven goals against Jacksonville this season, including Atlanta's lone goal on Thursday.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 17, 2018
- Eagles Defeat Allen 5-4, over $60K Raised for Local Family in Need - Colorado Eagles
- Rush End Skid in OT - Rapid City Rush
- Everblades Unbeaten Streak Ends in Loss to Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Earn Point in 4-3 Overtime Decision against Toledo - Indy Fuel
- Wings Earn Critical Divisional Win in Front of Standing Room Only Crowd - Kalamazoo Wings
- Admirals Complete Season Sweep of Swamp Rabbits, Run Home Win Streak to Seven - Norfolk Admirals
- Stolarz Leads Royals to Victory over Brampton - Brampton Beast
- Gladiators Drop Point in Overtime Loss - Atlanta Gladiators
- Swamp Rabbits Fall Short in Norfolk - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cyclones Fall Following Third Period Push - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Railers Find Pot of Gold in 3-2 Home Win over Fort Wayne - Worcester Railers HC
- Tifu's Number Retired and Royals Slam Brampton in Series Finale, 5-1 - Reading Royals
- IceMen Complete Rally against Gladiators - Jacksonville Icemen
- Grizzlies Collect Another Point; Unbeaten in 12/13 - Utah Grizzlies
- Saturday's Game against Tulsa Rescheduled - Kansas City Mavericks
- Monarchs Battle Past Grizzlies, 3-2, in Overtime - Manchester Monarchs
- Adirondack Wheels Past Nailers in Second Straight Overtime Win - Adirondack Thunder
- Wheeling Penalty Kill Helps to Earn a Point against Thunder - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Americans Add Forward Tyler Poulsen - Allen Americans
- Swavely Recalled by Lehigh Valley Ahead of Reading's 7:00 p.m. Home Game - Reading Royals
- ECHL Transactions - March 17 - ECHL
- Americans Hit the Final Destination on Two-Week Road Trip - Allen Americans
- Alex Wideman Recalled to Rockford - Indy Fuel
- Greenville Seeking Luck of the Irish in Norfolk - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Day: Admirals Look to Channel Inner Irish on St. Hatrick's Day - Norfolk Admirals
- Gameday - Adirondack (35-21-3-4) vs. Wheeling (31-25-6-1) - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Kalamazoo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers at Thunder Game Day Snap Shot, March 17 - Wheeling Nailers
- Worcester Railers HC Signs University Nebraska Omaha Forward Jake Randolph - Worcester Railers HC
- Parsons Reassigned to Kansas City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Gameday Report: Mavericks vs. Oilers - Kansas City Mavericks
- IceMen's Playoff Push Continues against Atlanta - Jacksonville Icemen
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, March 17 - Manchester Monarchs
- Stolarz Starts for Royals Again Tonight on Tifu Retirement Night - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Take Overtime Point to Start Trip - Utah Grizzlies
- 'Blades Put out Solar Bears Flame in 3-1 Victory - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Jacksonville Icemen Stories
- Icemen Ink Defenseman Brandon Fortunato for 2021-22
- Icemen Add Size up Front with the Addition of Vladislav Mikhalchuk
- Icemen Bolster Forward Corps with the Return of Martin and Brown
- Icemen Agree to Terms with Forward Ben Hawerchuk
- Derek Lodermeier Returns to Jacksonville for a Second Season