Stolarz Leads Royals to Victory over Brampton
READING, PENNSYLVANIA - The Brampton Beast threw everything they had at Reading Royals starting goaltender Anthony Stolarz but the opposition netminder stopped all but one of the 32 shots he faced to lead the Royals to a 5-1 victory on Saturday night at Santander Arena in Reading.
The game started off well for the Beast, as they were the first to find the back of the net. David Vallorani accepted a great pass from Erik Bradford at the right wing circle and he picked the top corner for a beautiful goal, giving the Beast the 1-0 lead at 7:03 on Vallorani's tenth goal of the season.
The Royals countered quickly and struck twice in the next two minutes and ten seconds with goals from Matt Wilkins and Brian Morgan to take a 2-1 lead by the 9:13 mark of the opening frame.
Reading would add another goal before the end of the opening frame as Adam Schmidt beat Beast starting netminder Chris Dreidger at 17:27, finishing off a busy first period of scoring.
The pace picked up in the second period and it was the Beast leading the charge, outshooting the Royals 9-6 in the frame. Royals starting goaltender Anthony Stolarz was up to the task, stopping every puck he faced, including an acrobatic behind-the-back save off a bouncing puck from behind the goal.
The Royals, however, would be the only team to strike in the second frame as Chris McCarthy beat Dreidger at 9:11, giving the Royals a three-goal lead heading into the final period.
The Beast found their game in the third period and threw 15 shots against Stolarz, but he denied them all as the Beast increased their offensive zone pressure down the stretch.
Adam Schmidt scored a shorthanded empty-netter in the final minute of play to seal the victory for Reading.
Dreidger was solid between the pipes for Brampton and finished the game with 23 saves.
NOTES: Molson Three Stars: 3) Stolarz (REA) 2) McCarthy (REA) 1) Zajac (REA). Tonight's game was the ninth and final contest between these two teams for the 2017-18 season. Reading won the season series with a 5-4-0-0 record against Brampton. The Beast return home tomorrow, Sunday, March 18, as they host the Adirondack Thunder at 2:00PM at the Powerade Centre.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 17, 2018
- Eagles Defeat Allen 5-4, over $60K Raised for Local Family in Need - Colorado Eagles
- Rush End Skid in OT - Rapid City Rush
- Everblades Unbeaten Streak Ends in Loss to Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Earn Point in 4-3 Overtime Decision against Toledo - Indy Fuel
- Wings Earn Critical Divisional Win in Front of Standing Room Only Crowd - Kalamazoo Wings
- Admirals Complete Season Sweep of Swamp Rabbits, Run Home Win Streak to Seven - Norfolk Admirals
- Stolarz Leads Royals to Victory over Brampton - Brampton Beast
- Gladiators Drop Point in Overtime Loss - Atlanta Gladiators
- Swamp Rabbits Fall Short in Norfolk - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cyclones Fall Following Third Period Push - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Railers Find Pot of Gold in 3-2 Home Win over Fort Wayne - Worcester Railers HC
- Tifu's Number Retired and Royals Slam Brampton in Series Finale, 5-1 - Reading Royals
- IceMen Complete Rally against Gladiators - Jacksonville Icemen
- Grizzlies Collect Another Point; Unbeaten in 12/13 - Utah Grizzlies
- Saturday's Game against Tulsa Rescheduled - Kansas City Mavericks
- Monarchs Battle Past Grizzlies, 3-2, in Overtime - Manchester Monarchs
- Adirondack Wheels Past Nailers in Second Straight Overtime Win - Adirondack Thunder
- Wheeling Penalty Kill Helps to Earn a Point against Thunder - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Americans Add Forward Tyler Poulsen - Allen Americans
- Swavely Recalled by Lehigh Valley Ahead of Reading's 7:00 p.m. Home Game - Reading Royals
- ECHL Transactions - March 17 - ECHL
- Americans Hit the Final Destination on Two-Week Road Trip - Allen Americans
- Alex Wideman Recalled to Rockford - Indy Fuel
- Greenville Seeking Luck of the Irish in Norfolk - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Day: Admirals Look to Channel Inner Irish on St. Hatrick's Day - Norfolk Admirals
- Gameday - Adirondack (35-21-3-4) vs. Wheeling (31-25-6-1) - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Kalamazoo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers at Thunder Game Day Snap Shot, March 17 - Wheeling Nailers
- Worcester Railers HC Signs University Nebraska Omaha Forward Jake Randolph - Worcester Railers HC
- Parsons Reassigned to Kansas City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Gameday Report: Mavericks vs. Oilers - Kansas City Mavericks
- IceMen's Playoff Push Continues against Atlanta - Jacksonville Icemen
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, March 17 - Manchester Monarchs
- Stolarz Starts for Royals Again Tonight on Tifu Retirement Night - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Take Overtime Point to Start Trip - Utah Grizzlies
- 'Blades Put out Solar Bears Flame in 3-1 Victory - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.