Monarchs Battle Past Grizzlies, 3-2, in Overtime
MANCHESTER, N.H. - The Manchester Monarchs topped the Utah Grizzlies, 3-2, in overtime on Saturday night at SNHU Arena.
The Monarchs (38-20-3-2) won their third straight overtime game and completed a five-game, season sweep of the Grizzlies (25-24-8-6) with a 3-2 overtime win.
The Grizzlies opened the scoring at 8:04 of the first period on the 11th goal of the season by Kyle Thomas. After receiving a pass in the neutral zone from Chris Leibinger, Thomas skated down the right side, where just inside the right-wing circle, he took a wrist shot, which found the top shelf, over the glove of Monarchs goaltender, Evan Cowley, to make the score, 1-0.
The Monarchs tied the game with a shorthanded goal by Joel Lowry, his 17th tally of the season, at 7:49 of the second period. Lowry picked the pocket of Thomas at the top of the right circle and brought the puck in on a breakaway, where he took a snap shot, past the blocker of Grizzlies goaltender, Joel Rumpel, to tie the game, 1-1.
Manchester took the lead at 13:26 of the second period, on the 21st goal of the season by Matt Schmalz. Inside the right-wing circle, Michael Doherty wristed a shot towards Rumpel, where at the top of the paint, Schmalz found the rebound and took a shot at a wide-open left side of the net, past Rumpel, to make the score, 2-1.
Utah tied the game at 18:47 of the second period, with a power-play goal by Tayler Richart, his 17th goal of the season. Along the outside left hash marks, Ryan Misiak found Richart at the center of the blue line, where he held the line and sent a wrister past Cowley's glove, to tie the game, 2-2.
Manchester netted the game winner at 4:02 of the overtime period, on the 20th goal of the season by Spencer Watson. Jordan LaVallee-Smotherman passed the puck from the left circle, into the slot for Watson, who took a wrist shot, over the glove of Rumpel, to give the Monarchs a 3-2 victory.
The Monarchs are back in action Wednesday, Mar. 21 (7 p.m.) when they face off against the Reading Royals from SNHU Arena.
Spencer Watson played in his 50th professional game.
Evan Cowley made 28 saves on 30 shots.
The Monarchs have won their last six games that have ended in overtime.
Images from this story
Matt Schmalz of the Manchester Monarchs
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 17, 2018
- Eagles Defeat Allen 5-4, over $60K Raised for Local Family in Need - Colorado Eagles
- Rush End Skid in OT - Rapid City Rush
- Everblades Unbeaten Streak Ends in Loss to Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Earn Point in 4-3 Overtime Decision against Toledo - Indy Fuel
- Wings Earn Critical Divisional Win in Front of Standing Room Only Crowd - Kalamazoo Wings
- Admirals Complete Season Sweep of Swamp Rabbits, Run Home Win Streak to Seven - Norfolk Admirals
- Stolarz Leads Royals to Victory over Brampton - Brampton Beast
- Gladiators Drop Point in Overtime Loss - Atlanta Gladiators
- Swamp Rabbits Fall Short in Norfolk - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cyclones Fall Following Third Period Push - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Railers Find Pot of Gold in 3-2 Home Win over Fort Wayne - Worcester Railers HC
- Tifu's Number Retired and Royals Slam Brampton in Series Finale, 5-1 - Reading Royals
- IceMen Complete Rally against Gladiators - Jacksonville IceMen
- Grizzlies Collect Another Point; Unbeaten in 12/13 - Utah Grizzlies
- Saturday's Game against Tulsa Rescheduled - Kansas City Mavericks
- Monarchs Battle Past Grizzlies, 3-2, in Overtime - Manchester Monarchs
- Adirondack Wheels Past Nailers in Second Straight Overtime Win - Adirondack Thunder
- Wheeling Penalty Kill Helps to Earn a Point against Thunder - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Americans Add Forward Tyler Poulsen - Allen Americans
- Swavely Recalled by Lehigh Valley Ahead of Reading's 7:00 p.m. Home Game - Reading Royals
- ECHL Transactions - March 17 - ECHL
- Americans Hit the Final Destination on Two-Week Road Trip - Allen Americans
- Alex Wideman Recalled to Rockford - Indy Fuel
- Greenville Seeking Luck of the Irish in Norfolk - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Day: Admirals Look to Channel Inner Irish on St. Hatrick's Day - Norfolk Admirals
- Gameday - Adirondack (35-21-3-4) vs. Wheeling (31-25-6-1) - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Kalamazoo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers at Thunder Game Day Snap Shot, March 17 - Wheeling Nailers
- Worcester Railers HC Signs University Nebraska Omaha Forward Jake Randolph - Worcester Railers HC
- Parsons Reassigned to Kansas City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Gameday Report: Mavericks vs. Oilers - Kansas City Mavericks
- IceMen's Playoff Push Continues against Atlanta - Jacksonville IceMen
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, March 17 - Manchester Monarchs
- Stolarz Starts for Royals Again Tonight on Tifu Retirement Night - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Take Overtime Point to Start Trip - Utah Grizzlies
- 'Blades Put out Solar Bears Flame in 3-1 Victory - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.