Admirals Complete Season Sweep of Swamp Rabbits, Run Home Win Streak to Seven
Norfolk, VA.- Domenic Alberga scored twice to help the Admirals sweep the season series with the Swamp Rabbits on Saturday night, topping Greenville 5-2.
Alberga has at least two points and one goal in each of his last three games. The victory moved the Admirals within five points of fourth place Atlanta. Norfolk has now won each of their last seven games at home. Both Romain Chuard and TJ Moore netted their first professional goals on Saturday night in the victory.
It didn't take long for the Admirals to find the back of the net on Saturday night as Romain Chuard opened the scoring just 1:26 into the opening period. Christian Horn sent a pass from the half-wall up to Chuard at the point. The Swiss defenseman one-timed the puck from straight away sending the puck past Ostepchuk for his first North American professional goal. Late in the period the Admirals doubled the lead before heading into the first intermission. Darik Angeli entered the zone and cut towards the net looking to throw the puck on net. The puck slid off Angeli's stick and over to a waiting TJ Moore who wasted no time scoring his first professional goal with a wrist shot into the open cage. The Admirals skated into the first intermission with a 2-0 lead.
In the second the lead grew again before the Swamp Rabbits got on the board. For the third straight game Domenic Alberga found the back of the net, this time giving the Admirals a 3-0 lead. Max Cook intercepted a dump-in on the near wall and connected with Alberga in the high slot. Alberga took half a stride before wristing a shot low to the far side and past Ostepchuk. This time the Swamp Rabbits would have an answer for the Admirals. Joe Basaraba sprinted down the right wing and snapped off a shot that quickly found the back of the net, bringing Greenville within two. Before Greenville could get any closer the Admirals extended the lead back to three goals. After a point shot snuck through Ostepchuk made the first save, but a net mouth scramble provided what the Admirals needed. Diving after the puck, Alex Pompeo was able to swat the loose puck past the Swamp Rabbit netminder and into the net. One minute later the Swamp Rabbits answered again getting a goal from Carter Sandlak, bringing the Swamp Rabbits within two after two periods.
The third period saw very limited scoring opportunities, but Domenic Alberga got a chance and capitalized just over six minutes into the frame. Tommy Schutt carried the puck into the zone on a two-on-one and centered the puck to Alberga, who capped off the scoring with his second of the night and 13th of the season. The Norfolk defense clamped down the remainder of the game allowing only six shots in the third period, as the Admirals topped the Swamp Rabbits 5-2 on Saturday night. The victory was the Admirals seventh straight at home, and sixth straight over Greenville.
The Admirals wrap up a three-in-three weekend tomorrow afternoon against the Jacksonville Icemen.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 17, 2018
- Eagles Defeat Allen 5-4, over $60K Raised for Local Family in Need - Colorado Eagles
- Rush End Skid in OT - Rapid City Rush
- Everblades Unbeaten Streak Ends in Loss to Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Earn Point in 4-3 Overtime Decision against Toledo - Indy Fuel
- Wings Earn Critical Divisional Win in Front of Standing Room Only Crowd - Kalamazoo Wings
- Admirals Complete Season Sweep of Swamp Rabbits, Run Home Win Streak to Seven - Norfolk Admirals
- Stolarz Leads Royals to Victory over Brampton - Brampton Beast
- Gladiators Drop Point in Overtime Loss - Atlanta Gladiators
- Swamp Rabbits Fall Short in Norfolk - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cyclones Fall Following Third Period Push - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Railers Find Pot of Gold in 3-2 Home Win over Fort Wayne - Worcester Railers HC
- Tifu's Number Retired and Royals Slam Brampton in Series Finale, 5-1 - Reading Royals
- IceMen Complete Rally against Gladiators - Jacksonville IceMen
- Grizzlies Collect Another Point; Unbeaten in 12/13 - Utah Grizzlies
- Saturday's Game against Tulsa Rescheduled - Kansas City Mavericks
- Monarchs Battle Past Grizzlies, 3-2, in Overtime - Manchester Monarchs
- Adirondack Wheels Past Nailers in Second Straight Overtime Win - Adirondack Thunder
- Wheeling Penalty Kill Helps to Earn a Point against Thunder - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Americans Add Forward Tyler Poulsen - Allen Americans
- Swavely Recalled by Lehigh Valley Ahead of Reading's 7:00 p.m. Home Game - Reading Royals
- ECHL Transactions - March 17 - ECHL
- Americans Hit the Final Destination on Two-Week Road Trip - Allen Americans
- Alex Wideman Recalled to Rockford - Indy Fuel
- Greenville Seeking Luck of the Irish in Norfolk - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Day: Admirals Look to Channel Inner Irish on St. Hatrick's Day - Norfolk Admirals
- Gameday - Adirondack (35-21-3-4) vs. Wheeling (31-25-6-1) - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Kalamazoo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers at Thunder Game Day Snap Shot, March 17 - Wheeling Nailers
- Worcester Railers HC Signs University Nebraska Omaha Forward Jake Randolph - Worcester Railers HC
- Parsons Reassigned to Kansas City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Gameday Report: Mavericks vs. Oilers - Kansas City Mavericks
- IceMen's Playoff Push Continues against Atlanta - Jacksonville IceMen
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, March 17 - Manchester Monarchs
- Stolarz Starts for Royals Again Tonight on Tifu Retirement Night - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Take Overtime Point to Start Trip - Utah Grizzlies
- 'Blades Put out Solar Bears Flame in 3-1 Victory - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.