Eagles Defeat Allen 5-4, over $60K Raised for Local Family in Need
LOVELAND, CO. - Colorado scored three straight goals in the third period to defeat the Allen Americans 5-4 on Saturday, the victory also pushed the Eagles win streak to four straight games. In addition, the game also served as the team's annual "Pot of Gold" fundraiser which collected $60,057 for 12 year-old Malaki Turner of Longmont who suffers from cystic fibrosis. The total was the most raised in the seven-year history of the event.
Eagles forward Julien Nantel kicked off the scoring in the contest when he snapped a wrister from the bottom of the right circle off of the glove of Allen goaltender Jake Paterson and into the back of the net. The goal was Nantel's third of the season and gave Colorado the 1-0 edge at the 14:25 mark of the first period.
The second period would see the Eagles stretch their lead to 2-0 when forward Drayson Bowman capped off a 2-on-1 shorthanded rush by sliding the puck past Patterson in the crease with 12:42 remaining in the middle frame.
The game would then take a bizarre turn as Allen would capitalize on the power play when defenseman David Makowski was cross-checked into the crease, preventing Eagles goalie Lukas Hafner from making a save attempt as defenseman Eric Roy would fire the puck into the empty goal mouth. The tally trimmed Colorado's lead to 2-1 at the 12:18 mark of the second period.
Less than 30 seconds later and with Zahn in the box for cross-checking, Allen forward J.C. Campagna would capitalize with a wrister from the bottom of the left circle to tie the game at 2-2. Campagna would strike again on the power play when he slid a puck from the low slot past Hafner to give the Americans a 3-2 lead at the 14:13 mark of the second period.
The Eagles would strike back in the opening minutes of the third period, as defenseman Cliff Watson lit the lamp with a slapshot from the left circle that would tie the game at 3-3 with only 1:56 elapsed in the final frame. Colorado would then jump back into the lead less than ten minutes later when forward Ryan Olsen tipped a shot past Paterson to put the Eagles on top 4-3 at the 11:31 mark of the period. The goal now gives Olsen a goal in each of his last four contests.
Colorado would add to their advantage when forward Ben Storm bashed a centering feed in the low slot between the pads of Paterson to give the Eagles a 5-3 lead with 2:56 left to play in the game.
Allen would pull Paterson in favor of the extra attacker and the move would produce a goal when forward Alex Guptill hit the back of the net with a shot from between the circles with 50 seconds remaining in regulation. The Americans would not draw any closer, as Colorado would hang on for the 5-4 victory.
Hafner claimed his fifth-consecutive win in net, stopping 19 of the 23 shots he faced, while Paterson suffered the loss by allowing five goals on 23 shots. The Eagles went 0-for-2 on the power play, while Allen scored on three of their five chances on the man-advantage.
The Eagles return to action when they take on the Allen Americans at the Budweiser Events Center on Sunday, March 18th at 3:05pm MT.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 17, 2018
- Eagles Defeat Allen 5-4, over $60K Raised for Local Family in Need - Colorado Eagles
- Rush End Skid in OT - Rapid City Rush
- Everblades Unbeaten Streak Ends in Loss to Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Earn Point in 4-3 Overtime Decision against Toledo - Indy Fuel
- Wings Earn Critical Divisional Win in Front of Standing Room Only Crowd - Kalamazoo Wings
- Admirals Complete Season Sweep of Swamp Rabbits, Run Home Win Streak to Seven - Norfolk Admirals
- Stolarz Leads Royals to Victory over Brampton - Brampton Beast
- Gladiators Drop Point in Overtime Loss - Atlanta Gladiators
- Swamp Rabbits Fall Short in Norfolk - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cyclones Fall Following Third Period Push - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Railers Find Pot of Gold in 3-2 Home Win over Fort Wayne - Worcester Railers HC
- Tifu's Number Retired and Royals Slam Brampton in Series Finale, 5-1 - Reading Royals
- IceMen Complete Rally against Gladiators - Jacksonville IceMen
- Grizzlies Collect Another Point; Unbeaten in 12/13 - Utah Grizzlies
- Saturday's Game against Tulsa Rescheduled - Kansas City Mavericks
- Monarchs Battle Past Grizzlies, 3-2, in Overtime - Manchester Monarchs
- Adirondack Wheels Past Nailers in Second Straight Overtime Win - Adirondack Thunder
- Wheeling Penalty Kill Helps to Earn a Point against Thunder - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Americans Add Forward Tyler Poulsen - Allen Americans
- Swavely Recalled by Lehigh Valley Ahead of Reading's 7:00 p.m. Home Game - Reading Royals
- ECHL Transactions - March 17 - ECHL
- Americans Hit the Final Destination on Two-Week Road Trip - Allen Americans
- Alex Wideman Recalled to Rockford - Indy Fuel
- Greenville Seeking Luck of the Irish in Norfolk - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Day: Admirals Look to Channel Inner Irish on St. Hatrick's Day - Norfolk Admirals
- Gameday - Adirondack (35-21-3-4) vs. Wheeling (31-25-6-1) - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Kalamazoo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers at Thunder Game Day Snap Shot, March 17 - Wheeling Nailers
- Worcester Railers HC Signs University Nebraska Omaha Forward Jake Randolph - Worcester Railers HC
- Parsons Reassigned to Kansas City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Gameday Report: Mavericks vs. Oilers - Kansas City Mavericks
- IceMen's Playoff Push Continues against Atlanta - Jacksonville IceMen
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, March 17 - Manchester Monarchs
- Stolarz Starts for Royals Again Tonight on Tifu Retirement Night - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Take Overtime Point to Start Trip - Utah Grizzlies
- 'Blades Put out Solar Bears Flame in 3-1 Victory - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Eagles Stories
- Francouz Joins Czech Republic at 2019 IIHF World Championships
- Colorado's Playoff Run Ends in 5-2 Loss to Condors in Game Four
- Colorado Eagles Recall Forward Kale Kessy
- Eagles Announce Series of Transactions
- Bakersfield Takes 2-1 Series Lead with 5-2 Victory over Eagles