Tifu's Number Retired and Royals Slam Brampton in Series Finale, 5-1
Reading, PA- The Reading Royals soared to a 5-1 win over the Brampton Beast on Yannick Tifu Retirement Night Saturday at Santander Arena. Reading retired the former Captain's number in a pregame ceremony. After allowing the first tally, Reading poured in three in the first, one in the second and an empty-netter in the third. Anthony Stolarz made 31 saves (1 GA) and earned his first win of the season. Stolarz played in seven games with the Flyers last season. 5,163 fans packed Santander Arena.
Reading won the season series with the Beast, 5-4-0-0. The Royals earned wins in the last two games of the series. Reading has 76 points and is three points back of second place in the North.
Matt Wilkins (1g, 1a), Brian Morgan, Adam Schmidt (2g) and Chris McCarthy (1g, 1a) tallied. Schmidt and Wilkins have points in five straight games. Frank Hora had two assists and a plus-three rating.
Chris Driedger lost his first matchup against Reading (4 GA, 23 saves). Reading plays next at 7:00 p.m. on Wed., Mar. 21 at Manchester.
Reading slammed in three straight in the first after allowing the initial strike. Wilkins backhanded in his 16th of the season at the left post to tie the game, assisted by McCarthy, his 100th career helper. The strike came at 7:50, just 47 seconds after David Vallorani opened the scoring.
On one of the next line rushes, the Royals struck 1:23 later to take their first lead. Brian Morgan ramped a shot from the slot over Driedger's shoulder. Viktor Liljegren centered the feed for his second professional point (2 GP). Cleland recorded the secondary helper.
Reading's three-goal first period ended with Schmidt's breakaway goal and 2:33 to go in the frame. Nolan Zajac strung a pass 100 feet to Schmidt at the Beast attacking line. The right-handed shot gained speed before an overpowering wrist shot went in at the right post.
Stolarz rejected a couple of dangerous opportunities to preserve a 3-1 edge in the second. At 5:00 of the second, he made a glove save on a Vincent Dunn breakaway. With about nine minutes gone in the frame, he swatted away a puck on his shoulder to save a goal. Reading came down the length of the ice and McCarthy spanked a power-play marker at 9:11 of the frame, assisted by Mark Bennett. Reading tossed it from the right dot to McCarthy at the left circle.
Schmidt bagged the game with an empty-net, short-handed goal and 15 seconds left the game. After the goal, Reading's Wilkins and Brampton's Dunn and Fournier received ten-minute misconducts.
The Royals were 0-for-2 on the man up. Brampton finished 0-for-4.
2018-19 season tickets now available
Top full-season benefits include: exclusive Reading Hockey Club per seat gift, discounted rate off regular ticket prices, ticket exchange, preseason meet and greet, exclusive season ticket holder events, advanced entry and a chance to win and the Royals Owner's Suite for a game. Call 610-898-7825 and visit to join the Royals family or renew season tickets for the 2018-19 season. Visit royalshockey.com/tickets/season-tickets to learn more.
Special Olympics Night Fri., Mar. 23 vs. WOR at 7:00 p.m.
Tickets are available here, with $5 going back to benefit the Special Olympics of Berks County. Postgame shake, shiver and freeze with the Royals to raise money for the Special Olympics and a Royals trading card set giveaway to the first 2,500 fans (Rieck's Printing).
Autism Awareness Night Sat., Mar. 24 vs. WOR at 7:00 p.m.
Tickets are available here. $5 from every ticket goes back to the Autism Society of Berks County and Unending Promise! This is one of the best nights of the season for a wonderful cause. No goal horn and the Royals wear special autism awareness jerseys. Plus, a one-time-only giveaway: a puck with Head Coach Kirk MacDonald and Assistant Coach Pat Wellar.
Royals Awards Banquet at Santander Arena Mar. 26
Register here. Get a pregame pep talk from Royals Head Coach Kirk MacDonald, behind-the-scenes tour of the Royals locker room and buffet meal at Santander Arena Mon., Mar. 26 from 6-8 p.m. for the Royals Awards Banquet. We will hand out the best awards from the 2017-18 season.
Images from this story
Yannick Tifu has his number retired by the Reading Royals
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 17, 2018
- Eagles Defeat Allen 5-4, over $60K Raised for Local Family in Need - Colorado Eagles
- Rush End Skid in OT - Rapid City Rush
- Everblades Unbeaten Streak Ends in Loss to Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Earn Point in 4-3 Overtime Decision against Toledo - Indy Fuel
- Wings Earn Critical Divisional Win in Front of Standing Room Only Crowd - Kalamazoo Wings
- Admirals Complete Season Sweep of Swamp Rabbits, Run Home Win Streak to Seven - Norfolk Admirals
- Stolarz Leads Royals to Victory over Brampton - Brampton Beast
- Gladiators Drop Point in Overtime Loss - Atlanta Gladiators
- Swamp Rabbits Fall Short in Norfolk - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cyclones Fall Following Third Period Push - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Railers Find Pot of Gold in 3-2 Home Win over Fort Wayne - Worcester Railers HC
- Tifu's Number Retired and Royals Slam Brampton in Series Finale, 5-1 - Reading Royals
- IceMen Complete Rally against Gladiators - Jacksonville IceMen
- Grizzlies Collect Another Point; Unbeaten in 12/13 - Utah Grizzlies
- Saturday's Game against Tulsa Rescheduled - Kansas City Mavericks
- Monarchs Battle Past Grizzlies, 3-2, in Overtime - Manchester Monarchs
- Adirondack Wheels Past Nailers in Second Straight Overtime Win - Adirondack Thunder
- Wheeling Penalty Kill Helps to Earn a Point against Thunder - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Americans Add Forward Tyler Poulsen - Allen Americans
- Swavely Recalled by Lehigh Valley Ahead of Reading's 7:00 p.m. Home Game - Reading Royals
- ECHL Transactions - March 17 - ECHL
- Americans Hit the Final Destination on Two-Week Road Trip - Allen Americans
- Alex Wideman Recalled to Rockford - Indy Fuel
- Greenville Seeking Luck of the Irish in Norfolk - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Day: Admirals Look to Channel Inner Irish on St. Hatrick's Day - Norfolk Admirals
- Gameday - Adirondack (35-21-3-4) vs. Wheeling (31-25-6-1) - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Kalamazoo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers at Thunder Game Day Snap Shot, March 17 - Wheeling Nailers
- Worcester Railers HC Signs University Nebraska Omaha Forward Jake Randolph - Worcester Railers HC
- Parsons Reassigned to Kansas City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Gameday Report: Mavericks vs. Oilers - Kansas City Mavericks
- IceMen's Playoff Push Continues against Atlanta - Jacksonville IceMen
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, March 17 - Manchester Monarchs
- Stolarz Starts for Royals Again Tonight on Tifu Retirement Night - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Take Overtime Point to Start Trip - Utah Grizzlies
- 'Blades Put out Solar Bears Flame in 3-1 Victory - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.