Railers Find Pot of Gold in 3-2 Home Win over Fort Wayne
Worcester, MA - Matt Lane broke a 2-2 tie early in the third period as the Worcester Railers HC (29-25-4-3, 65pts) defeated the visiting Fort Wayne Komets (42-17-3-1, 88pts) by the score of 3-2 in front of 5,031 fans at the DCU Center on Saturday evening. The Railers 3-in-3 home weekend concludes on KIDS GIVEAWAY Sunday vs. Utah at 3pm with the first 1,000 kids receiving Railers HC thunder sticks.
Matt Lane scored twice and Nick Saracino also found the back of the net for Worcester while Mitch Gillam made 24 saves as the Railers are now five points behind the Nailers for the final playoff spot in the North Division - the Railers have three games in hand with 11 games left. Mike Cornell added two assists while Yanick Turcotte picked up his 18th fighting major for the Railers third straight home win.
Each team scored in a high tempo first period of play as the Railers led 10-9 in shots through 20 minutes. Dylan Szdlowski (28th) snapped a wicked shot from the right circle past the glove of Mitch Gillam at 7:44. Nick Saracino (10th) tied the score at 1-1 with a rush down the left wing with a snap shot from 30 feet that broke off the glove on goaltender Garrett Bartus and into the net at 17:41.
Worcester went ahead 2-1 at 1:40 of the second period as Matt Lane (11th) fired a shot on the power play from on top of the left circle with Woody Hudson providing a screen on top of the crease. Yanick Turcotte (18th FM) dropped Daniel Maggio at 9:47 with an entertaining scrap as the physical play picked up in the middle frame. Fort Wayne tied the score at 2-2 at Marcus Basara (5th) deflected a 50-foot shot from Chris Leonard at 14:10. Each team had 18 shots through 40 minutes of play with the score tied 2-2 through two periods of play.
Matt Lane (12th) struck again just 30 seconds into the third period for the eventual game winner as he took a centering feed on the rush from Nick Saracino and ripped it top shelf from ten feet to give Worcester a 3-2 lead. Mitch Gillam made eight more saves in the third period, including a couple from in tight in the final five minutes as the Railers held on for the 3-2 home victory.
Notes: Three Stars: 3rd star: Mike Cornell (0-2-2) 2nd star: Nick Saracino (1-1-2) 1st star: Matt Lane (2-0-2) ...Final shots were 26-23 in favor of Fort Wayne...Garrett Bartus (16-5-1) made 20 saves on 23 shots for Fort Wayne... Cam Lanigan was the backup for Fort Wayne.... Mitch Gillam (16-13-1) made 24 saves on 26 shots in his 12th start in the last 13 games for Worcester... Will King was the backup goaltender for the Railers.... Worcester went 1-for-4 on the power play while Fort Wayne went 0-for-2...Josh Monk (inj), Justin Agosta (susp), Connor Doherty, Tommy Kelley, Jake Randolph did not dress for Worcester.... Ben Masella returned to the lineup after missing the last five games due to injury.... Kellen Jones, Eamon McAdam, and Kyle Schempp are currently on recall with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers and Tommy Panico was recalled by the Iowa Wild before the game....the Railers are now 11-2-1 in their last 14 games at the DCU Center...Kyle McKenzie and Ben Masella also added assists for Worcester....the Railers are now 7-0-0-0 when wearing specialty jerseys this season - the Railers wore St. Patrick's Day jerseys to benefit the Be Like Brit organization presented by Country Bank.
What's on tap? - Railers continue to battle for a playoff spot!
On Sunday, March 18 the Railers host the Utah Grizzlies at 3:05pm on a Kids Giveaway Sunday. The first 1,000 kids 12-and-under will receive Worcester Railers thunder sticks. Score a Family Fun Pack at every Sunday game which includes four tickets, four hot dogs, and four sodas for just $80.
The Railers Tavern, located behind the DCU Center provides hockey fans with a great pregame and postgame atmosphere all season long. Watch all road games broadcast live at Railers Tavern or watch on ECHLTV.com for a small fee. Listen to all Railers games live on 98.9 Nash ICON with coverage beginning 30 minutes before puck drop with Eric Lindquist and Tom Matthews. Full season memberships, mini plans, and group tickets are on sale now by calling the Railers front office at 508-365-1750 or by visiting www.RailersHC.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 17, 2018
- Eagles Defeat Allen 5-4, over $60K Raised for Local Family in Need - Colorado Eagles
- Rush End Skid in OT - Rapid City Rush
- Everblades Unbeaten Streak Ends in Loss to Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Earn Point in 4-3 Overtime Decision against Toledo - Indy Fuel
- Wings Earn Critical Divisional Win in Front of Standing Room Only Crowd - Kalamazoo Wings
- Admirals Complete Season Sweep of Swamp Rabbits, Run Home Win Streak to Seven - Norfolk Admirals
- Stolarz Leads Royals to Victory over Brampton - Brampton Beast
- Gladiators Drop Point in Overtime Loss - Atlanta Gladiators
- Swamp Rabbits Fall Short in Norfolk - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cyclones Fall Following Third Period Push - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Railers Find Pot of Gold in 3-2 Home Win over Fort Wayne - Worcester Railers HC
- Tifu's Number Retired and Royals Slam Brampton in Series Finale, 5-1 - Reading Royals
- IceMen Complete Rally against Gladiators - Jacksonville IceMen
- Grizzlies Collect Another Point; Unbeaten in 12/13 - Utah Grizzlies
- Saturday's Game against Tulsa Rescheduled - Kansas City Mavericks
- Monarchs Battle Past Grizzlies, 3-2, in Overtime - Manchester Monarchs
- Adirondack Wheels Past Nailers in Second Straight Overtime Win - Adirondack Thunder
- Wheeling Penalty Kill Helps to Earn a Point against Thunder - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Americans Add Forward Tyler Poulsen - Allen Americans
- Swavely Recalled by Lehigh Valley Ahead of Reading's 7:00 p.m. Home Game - Reading Royals
- ECHL Transactions - March 17 - ECHL
- Americans Hit the Final Destination on Two-Week Road Trip - Allen Americans
- Alex Wideman Recalled to Rockford - Indy Fuel
- Greenville Seeking Luck of the Irish in Norfolk - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Day: Admirals Look to Channel Inner Irish on St. Hatrick's Day - Norfolk Admirals
- Gameday - Adirondack (35-21-3-4) vs. Wheeling (31-25-6-1) - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Kalamazoo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers at Thunder Game Day Snap Shot, March 17 - Wheeling Nailers
- Worcester Railers HC Signs University Nebraska Omaha Forward Jake Randolph - Worcester Railers HC
- Parsons Reassigned to Kansas City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Gameday Report: Mavericks vs. Oilers - Kansas City Mavericks
- IceMen's Playoff Push Continues against Atlanta - Jacksonville IceMen
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, March 17 - Manchester Monarchs
- Stolarz Starts for Royals Again Tonight on Tifu Retirement Night - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Take Overtime Point to Start Trip - Utah Grizzlies
- 'Blades Put out Solar Bears Flame in 3-1 Victory - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Worcester Railers HC Stories
- Worcester Railers HC to Host Drive-Thru Teddy Bear Toss and Toy Drive to Benefit Friendly House on December 19
- Worcester Railers HC Announce Suspension of Play for the 2020-21 Season
- Worcester Railers HC Sign Forward Eddie Matsushima for the 2020-21 Season
- Fidelity Bank Worcester Ice Center to Host Worcester Sports Retail Sidewalk Sale on October 24
- Worcester Railers Announce Revised Start Date for 2020-21 Season