Werner, Sherwood Stand Tall in 3-0 Blanking of Stars
LOVELAND, CO. - Colorado Eagles goaltender Adam Werner stopped all 16 shots he faced to earn his first shutout of the season, as the Eagles defeated the Texas Stars, 3-0 on Saturday. Forward Kiefer Sherwood continued his red-hot play, netting a pair of goals, while T.J. Tynan contributed two assists in the victory. The 16 shots by the Stars were the fewest shots allowed by the Eagles this season. A power-play goal by Sherwood in the third period now also gives Colorado at least one power-play goal in each of the Eagles last seven contests.
Colorado would strike first in the contest when a series of impressive passes between Tynan and defenseman Dan Renouf set up Sherwood to one-time a shot from the left-wing circle into the back of the net. The goal was Sherwood's team-leading seventh tally of the season and put the Eagles on top, 1-0 at the 8:46 mark of the first period. Tynan's helper on the play also extended his assist streak to seven consecutive games. Colorado would outshoot Texas, 11-3 in the opening 20 minutes and the Eagles would carry their 1-0 lead into the first intermission.
The Stars would turn up the pressure in the second period, outshooting Colorado, 9-5 in the middle frame. However, some solid saves from Werner would keep the scoresheet clean and the two teams would head to the second intermission with the Eagles still leading, 1-0.
Looking for some breathing room in the third period, Colorado would find it on the power play when Sherwood blasted a one-timer from the circle into the back of the net. The goal extended the Eagles advantage to 2-0 at the 14:11 mark of the final frame.
Just minutes later, the Eagles would light the lamp yet again, as Renouf fielded a cross-slot pass from Alexandre Fortin at the top of the crease and steered the puck past Stars goalie Adam Scheel. The tally was Renouf's first goal of the season and put Colorado on top, 3-0 with 4:01 remaining in the contest.
The Eagles would outshoot Texas, 17-3 in the final 20 minutes and would hold on to secure the 3-0 victory. Colorado finished the night going 1-for-5 on the power play and a perfect 2-for-2 on the penalty kill. Rookie forward Sampo Ranta made his professional debut in the contest, as the third-round pick of the Colorado Avalanche registered one shot on the night.
Colorado will return to action when the Eagles take on the Texas Stars at on Sunday, April 11th at 3:05pm MT at the Budweiser Events Center. Fans can catch every game this season live on "The Home of the Colorado Eagles," 92.9 The Bear or on AHLTV.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 10, 2021
- Texas Beaten by Colorado in 3-0 Shutout - Texas Stars
- Werner, Sherwood Stand Tall in 3-0 Blanking of Stars - Colorado Eagles
- Iowa Secures Point with Late Comeback in 5-4 OT Loss to Chicago - Iowa Wild
- Crunch Roll Past Comets, 5-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Amerks Fall to Cleveland in Series Opener - Rochester Americans
- Wolves Rally for OT Win in Iowa - Chicago Wolves
- Comets Drop Contest to Crunch, 5-1 - Utica Comets
- Monsters Set New Franchise Record with 9-2 Victory over Amerks - Cleveland Monsters
- Rocket Sneak Past Marlies 4-3 - Toronto Marlies
- Veleno Reassigned to Griffins by Detroit - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Schnarr Scores Twice in 5-4 OT Loss to Penguins - Binghamton Devils
- Moose Use Overtime to Top Belleville - Manitoba Moose
- Allison and Laczynski Recalled to Taxi Squad - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- P-Bruins Fall to Hartford Wolf Pack, 6-1 - Providence Bruins
- April 11 Game at Lehigh Valley Postponed - Binghamton Devils
- American Hockey League Announces Schedule Changes - AHL
- Sunday Game Postponed - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolf Pack Dispatch Providence, 6-1 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Tonight's Hershey Bears Road Game at Lehigh Valley Postponed - Hershey Bears
- Game Tonight Postponed - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- American Hockey League Announces Schedule Change - AHL
- Syracuse Crunch Reassign Nikita Pavlychev to Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- Game Preview: Condors Host San Jose at 6 p.m. on AHLTV - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Moose, April 10th - Belleville Senators
- Blue Jackets Reassign Defensemen Bayreuther, Peeke to Taxi Squad - Cleveland Monsters
- Belleville Senators Add Curtis Douglas on An Amateur Tryout Agreement - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Phantoms, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Game #23 San Diego at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Mike Carcone Nets Four Goals In High-Scoring Battle With Gulls - Tucson Roadrunners
- Offense Pushes Gulls past Tucson - San Diego Gulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Eagles Stories
- Forward Callahan Burke Returns to Eagles
- Colorado Inks Forward Benjamin Tardif to Two-Year Deal
- American Hockey League Athletic Trainers Selected as Winners of Yanick Dupre Memorial Award
- Eagles to Play Home Opener October 22nd at 100% Capacity
- AHL Board of Governors Approves Plan for Schedule Unification