Mike Carcone Nets Four Goals In High-Scoring Battle With Gulls
Tucson, Arizona - The Tucson Roadrunners welcomed the San Diego Gulls back in town for a pair of weekend games with their I-8 rivals. The team also celebrated their fifth anniversary in Southern Arizona, donning special fifth anniversary jerseys for the game. Mike Carcone dazzled, scoring four goals and doubling his goal total on the season to eight. Carcone's offensive showcase wasn't enough for a win, as the Roadrunners fell to the Gulls by a score of 8-6.
The two teams traded goals early on, as San Diego cashed in on their first power-play of the night to score 2:23 into the first period. A minute and a half later, Mike Carcone buried the puck off a rebound to even the score at one. San Diego retook the lead less than five minutes later, when Brendan Guhle netted his first goal of the season for San Diego. The Gulls added to their lead when Matt Lorito capitalized on a breakaway to make the score 3-1. The Roadrunners pulled to within one a little over a minute later, when Mike Carcone lit the lamp for the second time in only the first period of action to make the score 3-2. San Diego tacked on a pair of goals near the end of the period, including Guhle's second score of the night, and second of the season overall, to push their lead to 5-2 heading into the first intermission. The Roadrunners outshot the Gulls 16 to 13 in the first period and entered the middle frame of action on the power-play. The minute and a half of time on the man advantage was more than enough for the Roadrunners, as Kyle Capobianco buried a cannon of a shot into the back of the net to reduce San Diego's lead to two goals in the opening minute of the second period. San Diego once again answered back after a Tucson score to keep their lead at three goals when Andrew Agozzino scored his second goal of the night for
The Roadrunners face the San Diego Gulls once again Saturday night at 7:00 p.m. MST. The game will be broadcast live in Southern Arizona on The CW Tucson, where "Voice of the Roadrunners" Adrian Denny will be joined by ArizonaCoyotes.com writer Alex Kinkopf. You can also listen to the game in Tucson on FOX Sports 1450 AM and on the iHeart Radio app or watch the game on AHL TV.
THEY SAID IT
"He's been getting an enormous amount of scoring chances, and I have to give him credit, this week he took advantage of practice. He was shooting the puck through the net, and was trying to do everything he could to find a way to get the puck in the back of the net this week in practice, and you could see the results."
Tucson Roadrunners Head Coach Steve Potvin after the game on forward Mike Carcone's stellar performance Friday night against San Diego.
DON'T OVERLOOK IT
PROMISING POWER-PLAY - The Tucson Roadrunners cashed in three times on the power-play Friday night against the San Diego Gulls. Two of the goals were scored by Mike Carcone during his four-goal night, with one more score on the man advantage by Kyle Capobianco. The San Diego Gulls racked up 24 penalty minutes in Friday's contest, which resulted in half of Tucson's goals on the evening.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 10, 2021
- Texas Beaten by Colorado in 3-0 Shutout - Texas Stars
- Werner, Sherwood Stand Tall in 3-0 Blanking of Stars - Colorado Eagles
- Iowa Secures Point with Late Comeback in 5-4 OT Loss to Chicago - Iowa Wild
- Crunch Roll Past Comets, 5-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Amerks Fall to Cleveland in Series Opener - Rochester Americans
- Wolves Rally for OT Win in Iowa - Chicago Wolves
- Comets Drop Contest to Crunch, 5-1 - Utica Comets
- Monsters Set New Franchise Record with 9-2 Victory over Amerks - Cleveland Monsters
- Rocket Sneak Past Marlies 4-3 - Toronto Marlies
- Veleno Reassigned to Griffins by Detroit - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Schnarr Scores Twice in 5-4 OT Loss to Penguins - Binghamton Devils
- Moose Use Overtime to Top Belleville - Manitoba Moose
- Allison and Laczynski Recalled to Taxi Squad - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- P-Bruins Fall to Hartford Wolf Pack, 6-1 - Providence Bruins
- April 11 Game at Lehigh Valley Postponed - Binghamton Devils
- American Hockey League Announces Schedule Changes - AHL
- Sunday Game Postponed - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolf Pack Dispatch Providence, 6-1 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Tonight's Hershey Bears Road Game at Lehigh Valley Postponed - Hershey Bears
- Game Tonight Postponed - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- American Hockey League Announces Schedule Change - AHL
- Syracuse Crunch Reassign Nikita Pavlychev to Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- Game Preview: Condors Host San Jose at 6 p.m. on AHLTV - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Moose, April 10th - Belleville Senators
- Blue Jackets Reassign Defensemen Bayreuther, Peeke to Taxi Squad - Cleveland Monsters
- Belleville Senators Add Curtis Douglas on An Amateur Tryout Agreement - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Phantoms, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Game #23 San Diego at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Mike Carcone Nets Four Goals In High-Scoring Battle With Gulls - Tucson Roadrunners
- Offense Pushes Gulls past Tucson - San Diego Gulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.