Thunder Drop Close Game in Maine, 5-4
PORTLAND, ME- The Adirondack Thunder came out on the losing end of a back and forth battle against the Maine Mariners on Saturday night at Cross Insurance Arena.
The Mariners struck first just 2:15 into the game as Jake Elmer scored his eighth goal against Adirondack this season, his ninth of the year. After the teddy bears were cleaned off of the ice, the Thunder had a powerplay which they were blanked on.
Adirondack responded with three goals in a span of 2:51. Colby Sissons picked up his first goal of the season with a snipe over the shoulder of Mariners' netminder Connor LaCouvee. 36 seconds later, James Henry redirected a Gabriel Verpaelst shot for his fourth goal of the season. The third goal came from a valiant effort by Thunder defenseman Tommy Parran, who chased his own dump-in and took advantage of a LaCouvee misplay for his first ECHL goal.
The Mariners got one back with 1:33 left in the first. Ryan Gropp put a wrist shot over the shoulder of Eamon McAdam for his third goal of the season and the first period ended with the Thunder up 3-2.
Maine tied up the game just 6:11 into the second period. Adirondack's Charlie Curti blocked a shot that caused the puck to go directly to Maine's Ryan Ferrill who beat McAdam five-hole for his second goal of the season.
The Thunder got their second powerplay of the game when Ty Ronning was called for slashing Meirs Moore. Adirondack made Maine pay as Casey Pierro-Zabotel buried a rebound for his team-leading ninth of the season at 14:36.
The Mariners scored twice in the third period, including a breakaway goal from Jake Elmer and a shorthanded goal by Ty Ronning. Adirondack could not find the tying goal in the dying seconds of the third with their goaltender pulled and fell 5-4.
The Thunder outshot the Mariners 42-24 and went 1-for-5 on the powerplay. Adirondack's penalty went a perfect 1-for-1.
The Thunder battle the Maine Mariners Tuesday night at 7pm from Cross Insurance Arena in Portland, Maine.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 7, 2019
- Thunder Even Season Series with 4-2 Win over Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Solar Bears Rally to Earn Point in 3-2 OT Loss to Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mavericks Extend Winning Streak to Four with Commanding 5-1 Win over Fort Wayne - Kansas City Mavericks
- Strong Start Not Enough as Rabbits Squeak by Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Just-In Time: 'Blades Rally Late to Upend Stingrays in OT - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Snaps Winless Skid with Victory vs. Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Walleye Set Teddy Bear Toss Record, But Fall to Cyclones - Toledo Walleye
- Cyclones Use Big Second Period to Get by Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Wings Clamp Down in 4-1 Win at Wheeling - Kalamazoo Wings
- Greenville Earns Weekend Split with Norfolk - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- CAA City Is Safe as Batman Defeats Joker - Brampton Beast
- Blades Sneak by Rays in OT After Late Comeback - South Carolina Stingrays
- Hirano Scores Teddy Bear Goal, But Nailers Fall - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals Tie Game Twice But Fall at Brampton, 5-3 - Reading Royals
- Ronning's Shorthanded Goal Gives Mariners Weekend Sweep of Thunder - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Drop Close Game in Maine, 5-4 - Adirondack Thunder
- Maple Leafs Win 3-2 over Worcester in Throwback Night - Newfoundland Growlers
- Railers Come up Short on the Rock Falling 3-2 - Worcester Railers HC
- Penguins Reassign Drozg to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wheeling Nailers
- Preview: Florida Searches for Series Split against South Carolina - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - December 7 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Ty Ronning Reassigned to Maine - Maine Mariners
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Toledo Walleye - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: December 7 Utah at Rapid City - Utah Grizzlies
- GAME NOTES: vs UTAH - Rapid City Rush
- Teddy Bear Toss Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Royals Visit Brampton for First of Two - Reading Royals
- Komets Defeat Oilers 1-0 in Goaltender Duel - Tulsa Oilers
- Quenneville's Overtime Winner Sets New Franchise Record - Rapid City Rush
- McGauley Gets Hat Trick in OT Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Overcome Deficit in 6-5 Overtime Win over Americans - Idaho Steelheads
- Americans Take a Point in Overtime Loss - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Adirondack Thunder Stories
- Cool Insuring Arena to Shut Down for Two Weeks
- Adirondack Thunder Issue Statement on Cancellation of 2019-20 Season
- Statement from the Adirondack Thunder on Suspension of ECHL Season
- Thunder's Hutchison Makes Noise During Pro Debut in Loss to Railers
- Thunder Sign Canisius Forward Nick Hutchison