Thunder Snaps Winless Skid with Victory vs. Tulsa
WICHITA, Kan. - On a night when the Thunder would honor McConnell Air Force Base, the Wichita Pegasus knocked off the Tulsa Oilers, 4-2, on Saturday night at INTRUST Bank Arena. With the win, the Thunder snap a five-game winless skid.
Stefan Fournier, Ostap Safin and Peter Crinella led the way offensively while Mitch Gillam stood tall in the net, making 26 saves.
The game was relatively even through the first 20 minutes as both teams finished with nine shots on net. Wichita had two power plays in the opening frame, but had a hard time getting shots through to Olle Eriksson Ek.
Wichita got on the board at 5:08 of the second as Peter Crinella pounced on a loose puck near the crease and tallied his 4th of the season. Tulsa answered just over a minute later as Jack Kopacka beat Gillam from the left circle for his first of the year and made it 1-1. At 18:07, Patrik Parkkonen hammered a one-timer from the left point past Eriksson Ek to give the Thunder a 2-1 advantage.
In the third, Fournier gave Wichita a 3-1 lead as he found a rebound off a shot from Safin for his 7th of the year. Danny Moynihan cut the lead to one at 4:22 as he batted a bouncing puck out of the air past Gillam for his 10th of the season. Safin ended any idea of a comeback bid as he tallied his 7th at 9:18 to make it 4-2.
Wichita killed off all five Tulsa power plays and has gone 8-for-8 on the kill over the last two games. Fournier, Safin and Crinella each finished with a goal and an assist. Cameron Hebig added two helpers.
The Thunder closes the weekend with an afternoon tilt tomorrow at 4:05 against the Kansas City Mavericks.
The Thunder are excited to be the host of the 2020 Warrior Hockey/ECHL All-Star Classic, presented by Toyota, on Wednesday January 22, 2020. Get your tickets now for the league's annual showcase that features some of the best young talent across the ECHL.
Season tickets for the 2019-20 season are on sale now. Get your seats for just $34 per month. All it takes is a $1 deposit per seat to reserve yours today. To learn more, click here or contact a Thunder representative at the office today!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 7, 2019
- Thunder Even Season Series with 4-2 Win over Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Solar Bears Rally to Earn Point in 3-2 OT Loss to Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mavericks Extend Winning Streak to Four with Commanding 5-1 Win over Fort Wayne - Kansas City Mavericks
- Strong Start Not Enough as Rabbits Squeak by Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Just-In Time: 'Blades Rally Late to Upend Stingrays in OT - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Snaps Winless Skid with Victory vs. Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Walleye Set Teddy Bear Toss Record, But Fall to Cyclones - Toledo Walleye
- Cyclones Use Big Second Period to Get by Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Wings Clamp Down in 4-1 Win at Wheeling - Kalamazoo Wings
- Greenville Earns Weekend Split with Norfolk - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- CAA City Is Safe as Batman Defeats Joker - Brampton Beast
- Blades Sneak by Rays in OT After Late Comeback - South Carolina Stingrays
- Hirano Scores Teddy Bear Goal, But Nailers Fall - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals Tie Game Twice But Fall at Brampton, 5-3 - Reading Royals
- Ronning's Shorthanded Goal Gives Mariners Weekend Sweep of Thunder - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Drop Close Game in Maine, 5-4 - Adirondack Thunder
- Maple Leafs Win 3-2 over Worcester in Throwback Night - Newfoundland Growlers
- Railers Come up Short on the Rock Falling 3-2 - Worcester Railers HC
- Penguins Reassign Drozg to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wheeling Nailers
- Preview: Florida Searches for Series Split against South Carolina - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - December 7 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Ty Ronning Reassigned to Maine - Maine Mariners
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Toledo Walleye - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: December 7 Utah at Rapid City - Utah Grizzlies
- GAME NOTES: vs UTAH - Rapid City Rush
- Teddy Bear Toss Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Royals Visit Brampton for First of Two - Reading Royals
- Komets Defeat Oilers 1-0 in Goaltender Duel - Tulsa Oilers
- Quenneville's Overtime Winner Sets New Franchise Record - Rapid City Rush
- McGauley Gets Hat Trick in OT Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Overcome Deficit in 6-5 Overtime Win over Americans - Idaho Steelheads
- Americans Take a Point in Overtime Loss - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.