CAA City Is Safe as Batman Defeats Joker
BRAMPTON, ONTARIO - Lindsay Sparks scored his second hat trick of the season as the Brampton Beast defeated the Reading Royals 5-3 on DC Comics Night.
The Brampton Beast returned home in the wee hours of Saturday morning to get prepared to face the Reading Royals for the first time this season.
It was also DC Comics Night at the CAA Centre and the arena was briefly transformed in Gotham City as Batman and the Joker battled on the ice.
The Beast got off to a hot start with a goal from speedy forward Lindsay Sparks. The Oakville native broke down the ice and turned on the jets once he hit the offensive blueline.
He was then able to fire a perfect shot that beat Royals starter Kirill Ustimenko for a 1-0 Beast lead at 4:05.
Brampton continued their offensive play with another goal off the stick of Sparks. The forward took the pass from linemate Erik Bradford and found twine behind Ustimenko for a 2-0 Beast lead at 10:50.
The Beast took their 2-0 lead into the first intermission and would lead in shots by a score of 10-5.
The second period was commanded by the Royals who fought back to tie the game two apiece on goals from Trevor Yates and Garret Cockerill.
The Beast took two penalties at the end of the frame and would weather the storm till the horn sounded. The Beast would head to their dressing room tied 2-2 after 40 minutes and would lead in shots 18-17.
The third period brought more action between the two clubs right off the hop. David Vallorani took a rebound and banged it home into the open net for the go-ahead goal at 1:41.
The Royals fought back and scored a goal on the power play. Eric Knodel fired the shot from the point and Ralph Cuddemi tipped it home to tie the game 3-3 at 5:29.
Brampton kept the pressure on and was rewarded with an Erik Bradford power play goal. The forward walked into the zone and fired the shot into the back of the net for the go-ahead marker for the Beast at 13:28.
With time ticking down and the Royals net empty, Sparks was able to skate the loose puck out through the netrual zone before throwing a backhand into the empty net.
That gave the forward a hat trick on the night and iced the game for the Beast 5-3. Dubeau would finish with the win and recorded 24 saves. Ustimenko would be tagged with the loss and would make 22 saves.
Notes: Molson Three Stars 3) Vallorani (BRA) 2) Bradford (BRA) 1) Sparks (BRA) The Beast finished the contest one-for-four on the man advantage. Reading ended two-for-six. The Beast and Royals will meet again tomorrow at 2:00 PM for the rematch.
For more information or general media inquiries on the Brampton Beast please contact Anthony Fusco, Public Relations Coordinator at (905) 564-1684 or [email protected] The Brampton Beast will be bringing their exciting brand of ECHL hockey back to the CAA Centre next season. Don't miss a minute of the action! 2019-20 Memberships are now available, join the club!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 7, 2019
- Thunder Even Season Series with 4-2 Win over Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Solar Bears Rally to Earn Point in 3-2 OT Loss to Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mavericks Extend Winning Streak to Four with Commanding 5-1 Win over Fort Wayne - Kansas City Mavericks
- Strong Start Not Enough as Rabbits Squeak by Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Just-In Time: 'Blades Rally Late to Upend Stingrays in OT - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Snaps Winless Skid with Victory vs. Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Walleye Set Teddy Bear Toss Record, But Fall to Cyclones - Toledo Walleye
- Cyclones Use Big Second Period to Get by Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Wings Clamp Down in 4-1 Win at Wheeling - Kalamazoo Wings
- Greenville Earns Weekend Split with Norfolk - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- CAA City Is Safe as Batman Defeats Joker - Brampton Beast
- Blades Sneak by Rays in OT After Late Comeback - South Carolina Stingrays
- Hirano Scores Teddy Bear Goal, But Nailers Fall - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals Tie Game Twice But Fall at Brampton, 5-3 - Reading Royals
- Ronning's Shorthanded Goal Gives Mariners Weekend Sweep of Thunder - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Drop Close Game in Maine, 5-4 - Adirondack Thunder
- Maple Leafs Win 3-2 over Worcester in Throwback Night - Newfoundland Growlers
- Railers Come up Short on the Rock Falling 3-2 - Worcester Railers HC
- Penguins Reassign Drozg to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wheeling Nailers
- Preview: Florida Searches for Series Split against South Carolina - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - December 7 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Ty Ronning Reassigned to Maine - Maine Mariners
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Toledo Walleye - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: December 7 Utah at Rapid City - Utah Grizzlies
- GAME NOTES: vs UTAH - Rapid City Rush
- Teddy Bear Toss Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Royals Visit Brampton for First of Two - Reading Royals
- Komets Defeat Oilers 1-0 in Goaltender Duel - Tulsa Oilers
- Quenneville's Overtime Winner Sets New Franchise Record - Rapid City Rush
- McGauley Gets Hat Trick in OT Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Overcome Deficit in 6-5 Overtime Win over Americans - Idaho Steelheads
- Americans Take a Point in Overtime Loss - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.