Walleye Set Teddy Bear Toss Record, But Fall to Cyclones
TOLEDO, Ohio - The Toledo Walleye collected a franchise-record 5,631 teddy bears that will be donated to local children's charities, but couldn't help their own cause on the ice in a 4-1 setback to the Cincinnati Cyclones on Saturday at a sold-out Huntington Center.
The Walleye (12-8-1-0) were outshot by a 7-0 margin to begin the game, but recovered to capture a 1-0 lead 15:29 into the opening frame. T.J. Hensick was denied twice at the right post by the outstretched pad of Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen, but Tyler Spezia pounced on a loose puck in the slot and chipped a shot into an open net to allow the capacity crowd of 8,509 to unleash a torrent of teddy bears onto the ice.
Cincinnati (15-6-2-0) regained control of the contest in the second period, and pulled even with 7:56 gone in that frame. Jesse Schultz took a stretch pass from Ben Johnson in the neutral zone and quickly split the defense before lifting a breakaway attempt into the top right corner for his 14th goal of the season.
The Cyclones then capitalized on the first of five consecutive Toledo penalties, as John Edwardh gave the visitors a 2-1 edge when he placed a wrist a shot from the left circle over Filip Larsson's right shoulder at the 10:25 mark.
Cincinnati returned to the power play in the waning moments of the middle period, as Shane Berschbach was controversially slapped with consecutive minor penalties for slashing and unsportsmanlike conduct, respectively. After Cody Milan dropped a pass to Matthew Spencer at the left point, the latter set up Kurt Gosselin at the right circle for a one-timer that squeaked inside the near post to make to 3-1 with 12.2 seconds remaining in the frame.
Filip Larsson used one of his career-high 32 saves to prevent Schultz from guiding a breakaway attempt through the five-hole 1:19 into the final stanza, but the Cyclones tacked on a fourth goal at the 5:24 mark. Although his initial wrister from the right circle was blocked by Larsson, Justin Vaive skated into the crease and batted a rebound inside the left post to wrap up the scoring.
Cincinnati finished 2-for-6 on the man advantage, while Toledo was unable to convert on four power play chances. Luukkonen stopped 26-of-27 shots to claim the victory.
The Walleye conclude a stretch of four games in five days on Sunday with a road tilt against the Wheeling Nailers. Puck drop from WesBanco Arena is set for 4 p.m.
1. Cincinnati - Jesse Schultz (goal, assist)
2. Cincinnati - Justin Vaive (goal, assist)
3. Cincinnati - Kurt Gosselin (power play goal)
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 7, 2019
- Thunder Even Season Series with 4-2 Win over Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Solar Bears Rally to Earn Point in 3-2 OT Loss to Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mavericks Extend Winning Streak to Four with Commanding 5-1 Win over Fort Wayne - Kansas City Mavericks
- Strong Start Not Enough as Rabbits Squeak by Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Just-In Time: 'Blades Rally Late to Upend Stingrays in OT - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Snaps Winless Skid with Victory vs. Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Walleye Set Teddy Bear Toss Record, But Fall to Cyclones - Toledo Walleye
- Cyclones Use Big Second Period to Get by Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Wings Clamp Down in 4-1 Win at Wheeling - Kalamazoo Wings
- Greenville Earns Weekend Split with Norfolk - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- CAA City Is Safe as Batman Defeats Joker - Brampton Beast
- Blades Sneak by Rays in OT After Late Comeback - South Carolina Stingrays
- Hirano Scores Teddy Bear Goal, But Nailers Fall - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals Tie Game Twice But Fall at Brampton, 5-3 - Reading Royals
- Ronning's Shorthanded Goal Gives Mariners Weekend Sweep of Thunder - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Drop Close Game in Maine, 5-4 - Adirondack Thunder
- Maple Leafs Win 3-2 over Worcester in Throwback Night - Newfoundland Growlers
- Railers Come up Short on the Rock Falling 3-2 - Worcester Railers HC
- Penguins Reassign Drozg to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wheeling Nailers
- Preview: Florida Searches for Series Split against South Carolina - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - December 7 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Ty Ronning Reassigned to Maine - Maine Mariners
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Toledo Walleye - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: December 7 Utah at Rapid City - Utah Grizzlies
- GAME NOTES: vs UTAH - Rapid City Rush
- Teddy Bear Toss Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Royals Visit Brampton for First of Two - Reading Royals
- Komets Defeat Oilers 1-0 in Goaltender Duel - Tulsa Oilers
- Quenneville's Overtime Winner Sets New Franchise Record - Rapid City Rush
- McGauley Gets Hat Trick in OT Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Overcome Deficit in 6-5 Overtime Win over Americans - Idaho Steelheads
- Americans Take a Point in Overtime Loss - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.