Strong Start Not Enough as Rabbits Squeak by Admirals
NORFOLK, VA - The Norfolk Admirals were looking to win their second game in a row as they took the ice against the Greenville Swamp Rabbits on Saturday Night for Star Wars Night, as they turned to Brandon Halverson for his second straight start.
Norfolk was able to get on the board first, but Jeremy Helvig used the force to propel the Swamp Rabbits to victory.
Norfolk jumped on the board early, scoring just 3:36 into the first period. Alex Rodriguez led the Admirals into the Greenville zone on an odd man rush. Rodriguez skated through the center of the ice and fired off a shot that was saved by Helvig, and fell to the stick of River Rymsha who was able to bear Helvig while falling into the net to give Norfolk a 1-0 lead.
Greenville responded a few minutes later with a goal from Liam Pecararo. Nathan Perkovich fed a pass that was tipped into the Norfolk zone by Pecararo, split two defenders and fired a wrister that deflected off the glove of Halverson and into the net to tie the game at one.
The Swamp Rabbits took their first lead of the game with a goal from Kamerin Nault. Perkovich fed a pass up the ice that was tipped by Pecararo where he was able to split two Admirals defenders and his shot went off the glove of Halverson to tie the game at one.
Greenville added another goal later in the second period. Norfolk had control of the puck and their defender was hooked down to the ice which led to a rush the other way for Greenville. Johno May skated to the right circle fired a wrister over the glove of Halverson to pad the Greenville lead to two.
Norfolk cut into the the Swamp Rabbits lead with a power-play goal in the third period. Phil Hudon fed the puck to Alex Rodriguez in the right circle who was able to one-time a wrister past Helvig to cut the lead to 3-2.
Norfolk got many chances late in the third period, including one in the final minute of the period where Josh Holmstrom fired a pass towards the net that was redirected by his brother, Ben, but was saved by the toe of Helvig and stayed out as the Admirals fell by a final score of 3-2. Helvig made 45 saves and picked up his fourth win of the season. Halverson made 18 saves on 21 shots and takes the setback.
The Admirals are back in action on Friday, December 13 against the South Carolina Stingrays for Summer in December Night. Then on Saturday, it's Teddy Bear Toss Night as Norfolk squares off against the Gladiators of Atlanta. Tickets are on sale at the Scope Box Office or Ticketmaster through norfolkadmirals.com/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 7, 2019
- Thunder Even Season Series with 4-2 Win over Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Solar Bears Rally to Earn Point in 3-2 OT Loss to Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mavericks Extend Winning Streak to Four with Commanding 5-1 Win over Fort Wayne - Kansas City Mavericks
- Strong Start Not Enough as Rabbits Squeak by Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Just-In Time: 'Blades Rally Late to Upend Stingrays in OT - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Snaps Winless Skid with Victory vs. Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Walleye Set Teddy Bear Toss Record, But Fall to Cyclones - Toledo Walleye
- Cyclones Use Big Second Period to Get by Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Wings Clamp Down in 4-1 Win at Wheeling - Kalamazoo Wings
- Greenville Earns Weekend Split with Norfolk - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- CAA City Is Safe as Batman Defeats Joker - Brampton Beast
- Blades Sneak by Rays in OT After Late Comeback - South Carolina Stingrays
- Hirano Scores Teddy Bear Goal, But Nailers Fall - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals Tie Game Twice But Fall at Brampton, 5-3 - Reading Royals
- Ronning's Shorthanded Goal Gives Mariners Weekend Sweep of Thunder - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Drop Close Game in Maine, 5-4 - Adirondack Thunder
- Maple Leafs Win 3-2 over Worcester in Throwback Night - Newfoundland Growlers
- Railers Come up Short on the Rock Falling 3-2 - Worcester Railers HC
- Penguins Reassign Drozg to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wheeling Nailers
- Preview: Florida Searches for Series Split against South Carolina - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - December 7 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Ty Ronning Reassigned to Maine - Maine Mariners
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Toledo Walleye - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: December 7 Utah at Rapid City - Utah Grizzlies
- GAME NOTES: vs UTAH - Rapid City Rush
- Teddy Bear Toss Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Royals Visit Brampton for First of Two - Reading Royals
- Komets Defeat Oilers 1-0 in Goaltender Duel - Tulsa Oilers
- Quenneville's Overtime Winner Sets New Franchise Record - Rapid City Rush
- McGauley Gets Hat Trick in OT Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Overcome Deficit in 6-5 Overtime Win over Americans - Idaho Steelheads
- Americans Take a Point in Overtime Loss - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Norfolk Admirals Stories
- Theut's 36 Saves Propels Admirals to 5-1 Victory
- Admirals Acquire Three Players from Cincinnati for B. Holmstrom, Coughlin
- Admirals Acquire Goaltender Sean Romeo from Adirondack
- Artem Ivanyuzhenkov Sent Back to AHL's Barracuda
- Admirals Score Five Unanswered Goals, Win 8-6