Maple Leafs Win 3-2 over Worcester in Throwback Night
The St. John's Maple Leafs broke out the brooms and extended their winning streak to five games Saturday night at Mile One Centre in a 3-2 win over the Worcester Railers.
A scoreless first period saw the Maple Leafs control much of the action, including outshooting the Railers 16-9, but Evan Buitenhuis stopped them all between the pipes for Worcester.
Worcester scored first for the second straight night, as Kyle Thomas fired a wrister up and over Parker Gahagen's blocker at 1:34 of the second frame to give the visitors a 1-0 lead, but hometown boy Marcus Power responded just 1:21 later on the powerplay to get the Maple Leafs on the board and tie it up at 1-1.
Jordan Samuels-Thomas continued his hot weekend at 4:14 cleaning up a mess in front of the Growlers net to re-store the Railers lead for a 2-1 game. Trey Bradley responded with 4:32 remaining in the second period roofing a rebound off a Joseph Duszak blast for the second Leafs powerplay goal in the period and to tie the game at 2-2.
Marcus Power banged a rebound home for his second of the night 3:19 into the third period to give the Maple Leafs their first lead of the game.
The Railers pulled their goalie for an extra attacker in the final minute of play, but the Maple Leafs held down the fort, including a last-second diving shot block by Todd Skirving to hang on for a 3-2 victory.
Parker Gahagen made his Maple Leafs debut between the pipes
Joseph Duszak extended his point streak to five games
The three stars were 3 - E. Buitenhuis (WOR), 2 - R. Woods (SJML) and 1 - M. Power (SJML)
The Newfoundland Growlers hit the road for a three-game road trip beginning Wednesday night in West Valley City, Utah against the Western Conference's Utah Grizzlies, ECHL affiliate of the Colorado Avalanche. Puck drop is 10:40 p.m. Newfoundland time. Fans can tune into Chris Ballard's call of the game at mixlr.com/nlgrowlers.
Worcester Railers (6-14-1-0) at St. John's Maple Leafs (17-8-0-0)
Saturday, December 7th - Mile One Centre - St. John's, NL
V-H # Per Team Time Goals Assists Type On Ice (+/-)
1 - 0 1 2nd WOR 1:34 K. Thomas (5) D. Quenneville V 4 14 15 20 24 H 4 11 26 27 29
1 - 1 2 2nd SJML 2:55 M. Power (8) R. Woods, B. Ferguson PP V 8 24 28 74 H 9 11 13 22 29
2 - 1 3 2nd WOR 4:14 J. Samuels-Thomas (10) J. Dudek, N. Pierog PP V 4 10 14 37 61 H 8 13 26 36
2 - 2 4 2nd SJML 15:28 T. Bradley (5) J. Duszak, M. Kapla PP V 4 5 37 61 H 14 17 21 26 36
2 - 3 5 3rd SJML 3:19 M. Power (9) R. Woods, G. Estephan PP V 4 14 24 28 H 9 11 13 22 29
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 7, 2019
- Thunder Even Season Series with 4-2 Win over Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Solar Bears Rally to Earn Point in 3-2 OT Loss to Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mavericks Extend Winning Streak to Four with Commanding 5-1 Win over Fort Wayne - Kansas City Mavericks
- Strong Start Not Enough as Rabbits Squeak by Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Just-In Time: 'Blades Rally Late to Upend Stingrays in OT - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Snaps Winless Skid with Victory vs. Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Walleye Set Teddy Bear Toss Record, But Fall to Cyclones - Toledo Walleye
- Cyclones Use Big Second Period to Get by Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Wings Clamp Down in 4-1 Win at Wheeling - Kalamazoo Wings
- Greenville Earns Weekend Split with Norfolk - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- CAA City Is Safe as Batman Defeats Joker - Brampton Beast
- Blades Sneak by Rays in OT After Late Comeback - South Carolina Stingrays
- Hirano Scores Teddy Bear Goal, But Nailers Fall - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals Tie Game Twice But Fall at Brampton, 5-3 - Reading Royals
- Ronning's Shorthanded Goal Gives Mariners Weekend Sweep of Thunder - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Drop Close Game in Maine, 5-4 - Adirondack Thunder
- Maple Leafs Win 3-2 over Worcester in Throwback Night - Newfoundland Growlers
- Railers Come up Short on the Rock Falling 3-2 - Worcester Railers HC
- Penguins Reassign Drozg to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wheeling Nailers
- Preview: Florida Searches for Series Split against South Carolina - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - December 7 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Ty Ronning Reassigned to Maine - Maine Mariners
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Toledo Walleye - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: December 7 Utah at Rapid City - Utah Grizzlies
- GAME NOTES: vs UTAH - Rapid City Rush
- Teddy Bear Toss Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Royals Visit Brampton for First of Two - Reading Royals
- Komets Defeat Oilers 1-0 in Goaltender Duel - Tulsa Oilers
- Quenneville's Overtime Winner Sets New Franchise Record - Rapid City Rush
- McGauley Gets Hat Trick in OT Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Overcome Deficit in 6-5 Overtime Win over Americans - Idaho Steelheads
- Americans Take a Point in Overtime Loss - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Newfoundland Growlers Stories
- Growlers Earn Sixteenth Straight Win at Mile One Centre
- Growlers Earn Fifteenth Straight Win at Mile One Centre
- Growlers Pregame Notes: January 14 vs. Kansas City Mavericks
- Growlers Shutout the Mariners, Earn Ninth Straight Victory
- Growlers Halt the Railers 5-3, Earn 8th Straight Victory