Hirano Scores Teddy Bear Goal, But Nailers Fall
WHEELING, WV - Yushiroh Hirano scored the goal that sent stuffed animals flying onto the ice at WesBanco Arena on Saturday night for the annual Teddy Bear Toss. Unfortunately, that was the only celebration for the home team, as the Kalamazoo Wings picked up a 4-1 road victory over the Wheeling Nailers. Boston Leier tallied two goals and an assist for the Wings, who got a 24-save effort from Jake Kielly.
The first period was a tough one for the Nailers, who fell behind by a pair of goals, while mustering just one shot on net. Kalamazoo's markers came during the early stages, starting on the man advantage, when Boston Leier whipped in a wrist shot from above the right face-off dot. Matt VanVoorhis followed 3:18 later, pounding in a one-time feed from Eric Kattelus.
The Wings added to their lead in the middle frame. Kyle Blaney tossed a shot on goal from the left side, then Ben Wilson crashed the net and was able to push a loose puck into the right side of the cage.
At the 9:55 mark of the third period, Wheeling got on the scoreboard with the Teddy Bear Toss Goal. Aaron Titcomb wound his way to the top of the offensive zone, where he swept a shot toward the net. Yushiroh Hirano tipped the puck in for the tally. The Nailers poured 17 shots on goal in the final stanza, but were unable to close the gap any more, and Leier's second of the night went into an empty net to cap off a 4-1 Kalamazoo win.
Jake Kielly picked up the victory for the Wings, making 24 saves on 25 shots. Jordan Ruby took the loss for Wheeling, stopping 14 of the 17 shots he faced.
The Nailers will close out their homestand on Sunday afternoon at 4:05 against the Toledo Walleye. Following the game, fans can skate with the odd-numbered players. Other exciting upcoming promotions include Office Night on December 21st and the always popular New Year's Eve Game. The next Big Six game is Nickelodeon Night on January 11th, featuring Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The Wheeling Nailers, considered one of the top things to do in Wheeling, West Virginia, provide affordable family entertainment for fans throughout the Ohio Valley. For information on season tickets, group tickets, partial plans, and more, call (304) 234-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 7, 2019
- Thunder Even Season Series with 4-2 Win over Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Solar Bears Rally to Earn Point in 3-2 OT Loss to Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mavericks Extend Winning Streak to Four with Commanding 5-1 Win over Fort Wayne - Kansas City Mavericks
- Strong Start Not Enough as Rabbits Squeak by Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Just-In Time: 'Blades Rally Late to Upend Stingrays in OT - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Snaps Winless Skid with Victory vs. Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Walleye Set Teddy Bear Toss Record, But Fall to Cyclones - Toledo Walleye
- Cyclones Use Big Second Period to Get by Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Wings Clamp Down in 4-1 Win at Wheeling - Kalamazoo Wings
- Greenville Earns Weekend Split with Norfolk - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- CAA City Is Safe as Batman Defeats Joker - Brampton Beast
- Blades Sneak by Rays in OT After Late Comeback - South Carolina Stingrays
- Hirano Scores Teddy Bear Goal, But Nailers Fall - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals Tie Game Twice But Fall at Brampton, 5-3 - Reading Royals
- Ronning's Shorthanded Goal Gives Mariners Weekend Sweep of Thunder - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Drop Close Game in Maine, 5-4 - Adirondack Thunder
- Maple Leafs Win 3-2 over Worcester in Throwback Night - Newfoundland Growlers
- Railers Come up Short on the Rock Falling 3-2 - Worcester Railers HC
- Penguins Reassign Drozg to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wheeling Nailers
- Preview: Florida Searches for Series Split against South Carolina - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - December 7 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Ty Ronning Reassigned to Maine - Maine Mariners
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Toledo Walleye - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: December 7 Utah at Rapid City - Utah Grizzlies
- GAME NOTES: vs UTAH - Rapid City Rush
- Teddy Bear Toss Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Royals Visit Brampton for First of Two - Reading Royals
- Komets Defeat Oilers 1-0 in Goaltender Duel - Tulsa Oilers
- Quenneville's Overtime Winner Sets New Franchise Record - Rapid City Rush
- McGauley Gets Hat Trick in OT Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Overcome Deficit in 6-5 Overtime Win over Americans - Idaho Steelheads
- Americans Take a Point in Overtime Loss - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.