Royals Tie Game Twice But Fall at Brampton, 5-3
Brampton, ON - The Reading Royals scored twice in the second and Ralph Cuddemi (PPG) potted to tie the game at 5:28 of the third, but Brampton Beast forward Erik Bradford collected the go-ahead goal with 6:30 to go for a 5-3 win Saturday at CAA Centre. Cuddemi, now on a career-long 13-game point streak, has 21 goals and 34 points this season.
Lindsay Sparks registered his second Brampton hat trick with an empty-net goal at 18:53.
Trevor Yates and Garret Cockerill tallied in the second for Reading sixteen seconds apart, tying the game at two heading into the third. At 4:54, Yates (PPG) redirected a pass aimed to him at the slot by Matthew Gaudreau (2a) and angled it end-over-end past Dubeau. On the next shift, Brayden Low won a face-off to Cockerill. Standing high slot, Cockerill shoveled it past Dubeau.
Kirill Ustimenko blocked 22 of 26 shots in defeat. Alex Dubeau won with 24 saves (3 GA).
Sparks scored twice in the first to provide Brampton a 2-0 lead after one. First, he sniped the puck from the right slot underneath the blocker hand at 4:05. Next, with 9:10 to go in the first, he shot it from the left circle.
The 2019-20 season is pres. by Tower Health UPMC Health Plan. Following a rematch with the Beast in Canada Sunday at 2:00 p.m., Reading is home Dec. 13-14 vs. Brampton. Friday is Star Wars Night and Saturday is Affiliation Night with the annual Teddy Bear Toss, pres. by The Works in Wyomissing.
The Royals have scored in the second period in eight consecutive games; in the second Saturday, the team scored the only two tallies on strikes 16 seconds apart from Trevor Yates and Garret Cockerill. It was Cockerill's first ECHL goal since Feb. 20, 2019.
Reading has outscored foes, 14-7, over the last eight second frames. On the season, Reading has scored 29 goals and allowed 29 in the second. This reverses a trend from the start of the season; opponents triggered in at least one second-period goal in nine straight to open 2019-20.
The Yates and Cuddemi power-play markers have given Reading six man-up goals over the last four games. Reading has scored at least once on the power play in all four. The Royals have 13 power-play goals over the last ten games. Overall, the Royals are converting at 23% on the man up. Entering the game, the Royals ranked fifth in the league.
The Royals home schedule with promotional details is located at royalshockey.com/promotions.
Single-game tickets and mini-plans are on sale by visiting royalshockey.com/promotions, calling 610-898-7825 and visiting Santander Arena and The Weidenhammer Box Office at 700 Penn Street, Reading, PA.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 7, 2019
- Thunder Even Season Series with 4-2 Win over Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Solar Bears Rally to Earn Point in 3-2 OT Loss to Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mavericks Extend Winning Streak to Four with Commanding 5-1 Win over Fort Wayne - Kansas City Mavericks
- Strong Start Not Enough as Rabbits Squeak by Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Just-In Time: 'Blades Rally Late to Upend Stingrays in OT - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Snaps Winless Skid with Victory vs. Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Walleye Set Teddy Bear Toss Record, But Fall to Cyclones - Toledo Walleye
- Cyclones Use Big Second Period to Get by Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Wings Clamp Down in 4-1 Win at Wheeling - Kalamazoo Wings
- Greenville Earns Weekend Split with Norfolk - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- CAA City Is Safe as Batman Defeats Joker - Brampton Beast
- Blades Sneak by Rays in OT After Late Comeback - South Carolina Stingrays
- Hirano Scores Teddy Bear Goal, But Nailers Fall - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals Tie Game Twice But Fall at Brampton, 5-3 - Reading Royals
- Ronning's Shorthanded Goal Gives Mariners Weekend Sweep of Thunder - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Drop Close Game in Maine, 5-4 - Adirondack Thunder
- Maple Leafs Win 3-2 over Worcester in Throwback Night - Newfoundland Growlers
- Railers Come up Short on the Rock Falling 3-2 - Worcester Railers HC
- Penguins Reassign Drozg to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wheeling Nailers
- Preview: Florida Searches for Series Split against South Carolina - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - December 7 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Ty Ronning Reassigned to Maine - Maine Mariners
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Toledo Walleye - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: December 7 Utah at Rapid City - Utah Grizzlies
- GAME NOTES: vs UTAH - Rapid City Rush
- Teddy Bear Toss Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Royals Visit Brampton for First of Two - Reading Royals
- Komets Defeat Oilers 1-0 in Goaltender Duel - Tulsa Oilers
- Quenneville's Overtime Winner Sets New Franchise Record - Rapid City Rush
- McGauley Gets Hat Trick in OT Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Overcome Deficit in 6-5 Overtime Win over Americans - Idaho Steelheads
- Americans Take a Point in Overtime Loss - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.