Thunder Downed by Royals in Preseason Finale, 6-1
GLENS FALLS, NY - The Adirondack Thunder wrapped up their preseason home-and-home with the Reading Royals after falling by a final score of 6-1.
Craig Martin scored the lone goal for the Thunder, his second of the preseason and Michael McNevin stopped 28 of 34 shots thrown his way. Trevor Gorsuch was stellar in net for Reading, turning aside 24 of 25 shots.
Adirondack went 0-for-2 on their powerplay opportunities, not scoring a goal on the man-advantage during their two preseason contests. The Royals only had one powerplay opportunity but were denied by the Thunder penalty kill unit.
Aaron Huffnagle found himself all alone streaking towards the net and beat Michael McNiven far side to open the scoring at 5:43 of the first period. The goal was unassisted.
Trevor Gooch forced a turnover at his own blueline and cashed in on a shorthanded breakaway to give his team a 2-0 lead at 8:51.
The Royals tacked on two more and led 4-0 until the latter part of the second period when Craig Martin scored on a re-direction from a Colby Sissons shot to put the Thunder on the board. Bobby Dow was credited with the secondary assist. The time of the goal was 18:53 of period two.
Reading would find the back of the net twice more in third and skate to a 6-1 victory.
The Adirondack Thunder begin their 2019-20 campaign on Friday night in Portland, Maine when they battle the Mariners at Cross Insurance Arena at 7:00 p.m.
Follow the Thunder
For more information on the Adirondack Thunder, follow along on Twitter, Facebook and instagram (@ECHLThunder) and on the web at ECHLThunder.com.
Images from this story
Adirondack Thunder defenseman Charlie Curti (3) vs. the Reading Royals
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 5, 2019
- Solar Bears Fall in OT to Everblades, 4-3 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Walleye Complete Preseason Sweep of Wings - Toledo Walleye
- Grizzlies Fall 5-1 to Idaho in Preseason Finale - Utah Grizzlies
- Team Black Edges Team White in Rush Intrasquad Game - Rapid City Rush
- Growlers Sweep Preseason Series against Brampton - Newfoundland Growlers
- Thunder Drops Lone Exhibition Contest in OT - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Win Lone Preseason Game in Overtime - Tulsa Oilers
- Cyclones Salvage Preseason Split with Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Florida Earns Comeback Win in OT to Finish Preseason - Florida Everblades
- Marathon Shootout Goes to Fort Wayne - Wheeling Nailers
- Fuel Fall 4-1 to Cincinnati in Preseason Finale - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Downed by Royals in Preseason Finale, 6-1 - Adirondack Thunder
- Dominant 6-1 Win Concludes Royals Preseason - Reading Royals
- Rabbits Tripped up by Stingrays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Railers Take Down Mariners 4-1 in Lone Tune up Before Regular Season - Worcester Railers HC
- Stingrays Close Preseason with 4-1 Win in Greenville - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Fall to Worcester in Preseason Affair - Maine Mariners
- Conner Bleackley Loaned to AHL's Texas Stars - Idaho Steelheads
- Komets Make Roster Moves - Fort Wayne Komets
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Preview: Preseason Wraps up with Saturday Tilt against Solar Bears - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Swamp Rabbits Sign Chris Nell - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Growlers Earn Preseason Victory in Brampton - Newfoundland Growlers
- Grizzlies Win Preseason Opener 5-2 - Utah Grizzlies
- Solar Bears Open Preseason with 3-2 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Americans Beat KC 3-2 in Overtime - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Fall in Preseason Opener to Grizzles, 5-2 - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Adirondack Thunder Stories
- McAdam Earns Shutout as Thunder Rout Railers, 5-0
- Disallowed Goal in Third Costs Adirondack in 4-2 Loss to Reading
- Thunder Drop Home Tilt against Mariners, 4-1
- John Edwardh Returns to Thunder as Part of Three-Team Trade
- Thunder Penalty Kill Shines in 4-2 Win over Mariners