Steelheads Fall in Preseason Opener to Grizzles, 5-2
WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah - The Idaho Steelheads (0-1-0) fell in their preseason opener 5-2 to the Utah Grizzlies (1-0-0) on Friday night from Maverik Center.
The Grizzlies grabbed the lone goal of the first period at 13:17 when forward Griffen Molino found forward Ryan Wagner for the opening tally to take a 1-0 lead.
Scoring picked up in the second period starting with Utah defenseman Ryan Black at 2:38 to double the advantage, 2-0. The Steelheads answered back at 5:47 when forwards Joe Basaraba and Marc-Olivier Roy found forward Zack Andrusiak for the first road tally, cutting the lead in half at 2-1. Two more Grizzlies notches came at 6:31 from forward Joe Wegwerth and a shorthanded goal by forward Travis Barron at 15:44 to stretch the lead, 4-1. The Steelheads got back on the board within the final minute of the frame at 19:36 on a shot by forward Anthony Nellis, again halving the lead, 4-2.
Despite the Steelheads pushing back in the third period, the Grizzlies finished the press at 19:45 with an empty net goal by Wegwerth, sealing the game at 5-2.
Grizzlies goaltender Mason McDonald (1-0-0) stopped 21 of 23 shots in the win, while Steelheads netminder Austin Lotz (0-1-0) halted 22 of 26 shots in the loss.
The Steelheads close their home-and-home preseason schedule with the Grizzlies at CenturyLink Arena on Saturday, Oct. 5 at 7:10 p.m. The event is open to Steelheads Season Ticket Holders only with coverage on the Steelheads social media accounts.
The Steelheads open the 2019-20 home schedule at CenturyLink Arena on Friday, Oct. 18 against the Wichita Thunder to kick of Home Opening Weekend. Call the Steelheads Front Office at 208-383-0080 to plan your seats for this season, including single-game, flex plans and season tickets. Stay connected to the Steelheads on idahosteelheads.com or by following the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 5, 2019
- Solar Bears Fall in OT to Everblades, 4-3 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Walleye Complete Preseason Sweep of Wings - Toledo Walleye
- Grizzlies Fall 5-1 to Idaho in Preseason Finale - Utah Grizzlies
- Team Black Edges Team White in Rush Intrasquad Game - Rapid City Rush
- Growlers Sweep Preseason Series against Brampton - Newfoundland Growlers
- Thunder Drops Lone Exhibition Contest in OT - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Win Lone Preseason Game in Overtime - Tulsa Oilers
- Cyclones Salvage Preseason Split with Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Florida Earns Comeback Win in OT to Finish Preseason - Florida Everblades
- Marathon Shootout Goes to Fort Wayne - Wheeling Nailers
- Fuel Fall 4-1 to Cincinnati in Preseason Finale - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Downed by Royals in Preseason Finale, 6-1 - Adirondack Thunder
- Dominant 6-1 Win Concludes Royals Preseason - Reading Royals
- Rabbits Tripped up by Stingrays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Railers Take Down Mariners 4-1 in Lone Tune up Before Regular Season - Worcester Railers HC
- Stingrays Close Preseason with 4-1 Win in Greenville - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Fall to Worcester in Preseason Affair - Maine Mariners
- Conner Bleackley Loaned to AHL's Texas Stars - Idaho Steelheads
- Komets Make Roster Moves - Fort Wayne Komets
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Preview: Preseason Wraps up with Saturday Tilt against Solar Bears - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Swamp Rabbits Sign Chris Nell - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Growlers Earn Preseason Victory in Brampton - Newfoundland Growlers
- Grizzlies Win Preseason Opener 5-2 - Utah Grizzlies
- Solar Bears Open Preseason with 3-2 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Americans Beat KC 3-2 in Overtime - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Fall in Preseason Opener to Grizzles, 5-2 - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.